This article is outdated considering that we have the released version of ASP.NET AJAX v1.0 which is what you should be using in your applications. ATLAS was our codename for ASP.NET AJAX and if you are using ATLAS by any chance, kindly upgrade to ASP.NET AJAX by downloading the released version bits from http://ajax.asp.net . A related ‘Sys’ is undefined error article written by me is available at the following link:-http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh/archive/2007/07/15/113963.aspx
First of all, let me write to you a personal note. I have been making this particular blog more and more of a non-technical stuff of late with my posts around IndiMix and other stuff. However, I am back here with my technical and trouble shooting articles.
You may get an error ‘Sys’ is undefined when developing ASP.NET AJAX Enabled WebSites using the ASP.NET AJAX Beta 2,
This error may come particularly if you are upgrading from Beta 1 to Beta 2.
The error is primarily because a new script resource handler is added which requires an entry in the Web.Config.
The following is the steps to solve this issue:-
1. Open the Web.Config file of your ASP.NET AJAX Enabled Web Application
2. Within the <httpHandlers> </httpHandlers> section, add the following entry
<add verb="GET" path="ScriptResource.axd" type="Microsoft.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler" validate="false"/>
The <httpHandlers> section must be available within the <system.web> </system.web> sections in your web.config. In fact there would already be 2 add verb entries under which you can append the above entry.
3. Save the Web.Config file.
4. You must be able to run the pages without the error now.
5. This is well documented in the Release Notes that accompany the Beta installer. It is still available at your C:\Program Files\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Extensions\v1.0.61025\ReleaseNotes.txt
This post is for the benefit of people who miss reading this information while installation.