UPDATE 10 May 2010 : I finally discovered where the Remote Desktop team documented this process last December and thought it might be useful; blogs.msdn.com/rds/archive/2010/03/08/remoteapp-for-hyper-v-vdi-deployment.aspx

UDPATE 20 February 2010 : Sorry for how long the final solution took to discover, but thanks to Aaron Parker's blog entry at http://blog.stealthpuppy.com we now have the final missing pieces that allow remote applications to be hosted within a standard Windows XP SP3 virtual machine.

UPDATE 5 July 2011 : Kim Knight has now written a GUI tool for configuring remote apps which makes the process a lot easier and less error prone, http://sites.google.com/site/kimknight/remoteapptool. (Note: new URL as of 9 Sep 2011)

I have just tested the settings from Aaron on a Windows XP SP3 image running under VirtualBox 3.1.2 which previously failed with the dreaded 'The remote computer does not support RemoteApp ..'.  As soon as the two extra settings were added to the RDP file (see steps c and d below), I could run Notepad via RemoteApp quite happily.  I'll be doing more research into this and will update some of the screen shots in this post, but I thought I'd post this update as soon as possible to help people right away.

What is RemoteApp?

This is used within the XP Mode within Windows 7 to provide seamless application integration where applications running under Windows XP appear as application windows floating over the Windows 7 desktop.

RemoteApp is only the remote display technology which enables this to occur.  It should be noted that XP Mode also includes logic to integrate start menu items and saving of documents and files which are not covered by RemoteApp alone.

Why would you want RemoteApp?

For all those people using XP Mode to run a nicely sandboxed IE6 for testing purposes, you can now achieve exactly the same result without having to install Virtual PC.  This is important if you are already running virtual machines in another platform, such as VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation (or Player) as running Virtual PC XP Mode has a habit of causing your other virtual machines to crash with very little warning.

Also, unlike XP Mode, seamless mode in VirtualBox or ‘unity’ mode in VMWare Workstation, you can use this on a non local virtual machine.  So you could happily have a network server with IE6 instances pooled for all developers.  With VirtualBox and VMWare Workstation this also means we can use an application on 64-bit or multi CPU installations which XP Mode does not support.

Step 1 - Configuring the guest virtual machine to allow RemoteApp access

For Windows Vista and Windows XP you will need to install updates on the guest to enable RemoteApp (see below).  Windows 7 requires now such updates.

This example uses a completely clean version of Windows 7 Ultimate RTM 64-bit, dual CPU, running under VirtualBox 3.1.  We are going to enable Notepad to be run as a RemoteApp.  The connecting client is Windows 7 Ultimate RC 64-bit, dual CPU.

This solution involved directly editing the registry, and this is not the ideal way of enabling RemoteApp, and I have omitted numerous registry keys which would be required by XP Mode (see resources for full registry value list).  This is a minimal bootstrap to enable RemoteApp until the virtualisation and remote desktop teams provide suitable tools and fully document the process.

1. Enable remote desktop connections on the guest.

Enable Remote Desktop Connections

2. Run regedit (registry editor) and locate the key TsAppAllowList

a) New Key, Applications.
     b) Under Applications, create New Key, 1234567 (the key name is not important, we just need any key for next two steps)
     c) In the new key, Create New -> String Value, Name. Set value to Notepad
     d) Also in the new key, Create New -> String Value, Path. Set to c:\windows\system32\Notepad.exe

Editing Terminal Services Application Settings

3. Navigate back to the TsAppAllowList branch

a) Edit fDisableAllowList value, and set to 1

Registry editing, DisbaleAllowList

Step 2 – Creating the RDP file to access the RemoteApp

Now the guest operating system has a RemoteApp created we need to use a Remote Desktop Connection to access that application.

1. Run remote desktop connection, setup your desired settings as you would in a normal connection
2.. Save the settings to an RDP file.

Creating the RDP file

3) Use Notepad to open the RDP file to edit the configuration file,

a) Modify the setting; remoteapplicationmode:i:0  to  remoteapplicationmode:i:1
   b) Add the setting; remoteapplicationprogram:s:Notepad
   c) Add the setting; disableremoteappcapscheck:i:1
   d) Add the setting; alternate shell:s:rdpinit.exe
   e) Save the RDP file

(20th February 2010 - thanks again to Aaron Parker's blog for steps c and d)

Editing the RDP file in Notepad

4. You can now use the RemoteApp by double clicking on the RDP to open with Remote Desktop Connection,

a) Click on Connect when you see the security warning

RemoteApp security warning

b) And after a short start to initiate the remote desktop session you will be running notepad floating over your VM

Notepad running as a RemoteApp

Setting a Timeout for RDP connections

When using RemoteApp one of the issues you may find is that when you exit the application that does not close the Remote session on the guest machine.  This is clear on a desktop operating system as you will receive warning messages about users already being logged into the system.
Clearly this is less than ideal, so I decided to find out how to ensure that closing the application caused the user to logout in a very short time period.  This is configured on the guest operating system.

1. Windows key, Edit Group Policy.
  2. Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Remote Desktop Session Host -> Session Time Limits
  3.Double click 'Set time limit for disconnected sessions', change to Enabled, set to 1 Minute.

Final thought

Similar to VirtualBox seamless mode, you will not be able to move the floating guest application window between monitors, unless you save the RDP to use all monitors available.  Either set this option prior to saving the RDP file, or edit the RDP setting multimon:i:1.

Summary

As the keen eyed may have spotted, my laptop is still running the Release Candidate of Windows 7 as I have been too busy recently to upgrade to the RTM version.  However, over Christmas I will be upgrading the laptop to RTM and I’m glad I did, because I RemoteApp means there will be absolutely no need to install Virtual PC and XP Mode when I can just run IE6 under VMWare or VirtualBox instead.

Patches for Windows XP and Vista

To enable Windows XP SP3 or Vista SP1 (or higher) to host remote applications you will need to install one of the following patches.

Update for Windows® XP SP3 to enable RemoteApp™ (KB961742)

Update for Windows® Vista SP1 or above to enable RemoteApp™, (KB961741)

Resources

The original article which started all this, from Ben Armstrong, Virtualization Program Manager at Microsoft ‘Virtual PC Guy’s blog’, http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2009/12/17/remoteapp-hyper-v-windows-xp-vista.aspx

.. which led to Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services) Team Blog that revealed it’s all an RDP 7.0 thing, and not Hyper-V is just an enabling technology, http://blogs.msdn.com/rds/archive/2009/12/15/remoteapp-for-hyper-v.aspx

... as Aaron Parker suggested by including a VirtualBox example on his stealthpuppy blog, http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/remoteapp-for-hyper-v-hyper-what

20th February 2010 update ... and it was Aaron Parker's blog post here that revealed the final missing settings in the RDP file that allowed me to finally run a RemoteApp from within a Windows XP SP3 virtual machine.

Once I knew the TsAllowAppList registry key was involved I Bing later I found the very useful XP Mode analysis of this key at the C# Snippets blog, http://c-sharp-snippets.blogspot.com/2009/09/creating-shortcut-to-application-inside.html

And for RDP configuration file editing, I found an excellent clue in Paul Monaghan’s article here, http://support.yourofficeanywhere.co.uk/Customer/KBArticle.aspx?articleid=82

... which helped me guess that changing the remoteapplicationmode:i:0 value to 1 would help, and if you Bing remoteapplicationmode:i:1 then the careless folk at financelogix.com have kindly published their RDP file with the application name key within it, which gave me the last piece of the jigsaw.

Finally the ‘Set time limit for disconnected sessions’, example may be for Windows XP but gave enough information for Windows 7, http://howtonetworking.com/casestudy/tstimelimit1.htm

Print | posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 12:53 AM

# re: How to enable RemoteApp (via RDP 7.0) within a VirtualBox or VMWare virtual machine running Windows 7, Vista SP1+ or Windows

left by Clayton Hinkle at 12/20/2009 4:28 PM Gravatar
Has anyone had any luck getting this to work under XP (Windows7 work just fine)? I have not been able to. I installed KB961742 from MS. I get the message, "The remote computer does not support RemoteApp"

# re: How to enable RemoteApp (via RDP 7.0) within a VirtualBox or VMWare virtual machine running Windows 7, Vista SP1+ or XP SP3

left by Liam Westley at 12/31/2009 1:38 AM Gravatar
Clayton,

Sorry for delay in my reply, the Christmas holidays have been keeping me away from the keyboard.

In a spare moment I did try using a Windows XP image running under Virtual Box 3.1. I installed SP3 (it was previously only SP1), the RDP 7.0 patch for Windows XP (WindowsXP-KB969084-x86) and the patch listed in my post above (KB961742) but I couldn't get it working either.

Next week I might have a go at running the Windows XP Mode VHD I have from Windows 7 RC, to run under Virtual Box 3.1. If that works, there are either extra configuration/firewall settings I haven't spotted, or the KB961742 patch isn't quite enough to make it work.

Also, I might try that XP SP3 patched VHD under Hyper-V Server R2 and see if that helps. That way we can isolate the issue to either the guest operating system configuration or the virtualisation platform.

I will keep everyone informed of my progress.

Thanks

Liam

# re: How to enable RemoteApp (via RDP 7.0) within VirtualBox or VMWare running Windows 7, Vista SP1+ or Windows XP SP3

left by Liam Westley at 12/31/2009 1:45 AM Gravatar
Apologies to anyone who couldn't add comments to this post.

I've shortened the title of this post so that 're: ' doesn't exceed the maximum length of a comment title. For some reason it didn't actual mention that was the problem, it just refused to add the comemnts. Tsk.

Liam

left by sebus at 12/31/2009 8:13 AM Gravatar
Same issue here with XPMode.vhd image under Virtual PC 2007 SP1 (with modded BIOS so no activation reminders)
All I get from Win7 host is "The remote computer does not support RemoteApp"

# 1234567?

left by Tim at 1/20/2010 4:10 AM Gravatar
So.. I take it that the new key under Applications, "1234567", is not significant, and that the point is to simply create a new key? Although I can make that leap of reasoning, you should make that clear in your post. People are reading this because they don't know what to do. You shouldn't imply the necessity of things that aren't actually important.

Great info. I'll making use of it to deploy some custom rdp shortcuts!

left by Liam Westley at 1/20/2010 5:51 AM Gravatar
Tim,

I've updated the post with a note to that effect. Many thanks for the comment

left by michael crabtree at 2/10/2010 8:04 AM Gravatar
trying to get remote app to publish a rdp connection to a hyper-v guest running windows 2003 terminal server. basically i have an app "Fuji Synapse" that cannot run in 2008 because of its requirement to have internet explorer 7 or below. i am trying to use "remoteapp" and the hyper-v support to publish access to a working install on 2003 server. it works when i create an rdp file that specifies to run the app with the proper path. however im trying to get it published under RDWEB for ease of access. anyone done this before?

left by Sane at 2/15/2010 5:27 AM Gravatar
Any chance to make it works on Win2003? I mean, use Win2003 as host and win7 as client

left by Synapse Syndrome at 2/15/2010 10:04 PM Gravatar
Can I use this method to make Windows 7 into a RemoteApp 'server'? I just want to be able to RemoteApp particular apps on my HTPC, as though it was a 2008/R2 server, with no virtualizing directly involved.

I tried these instructions on my Win7 Ultimate HTPC, but I could not RemoteApp RDP into Notepad from my Win7 laptop, like I can with apps on my Win2008 R2 server. Nothing happens when I click the .rdp files, but a full RDP desktop connection works fine.

Should I be able to do this or not? Thanks.

left by Tester at 2/16/2010 9:33 AM Gravatar
Some tips from my fiddling.

First, do not set fDisableAllowList=1 or else you lose any control on what you allow remote users to run. (eg. remoteapplicationprogram:s:even_a_direct_path_to_any_exe_will_do)

Second, use a double pipe before the key name on the rdp file (eg. remoteapplicationprogram:s:||1234567)

Last, the step
"Create New -> String Value, Name. Set value to Notepad"
is not required. "Path" is the only one really needed. Resuming, remoteapplicationprogram will cause a lookup for "||" + any keyname inside TSAppAllowList\Applications, and run whatever is pointed by it's "Path".

Took me a couple of hours to nail this, but I'm pretty impressed by this feature.

left by Synapse Syndrome at 2/18/2010 1:18 AM Gravatar
I have managed to get it working. I previously made a mistake in missing the step to make the 'Applications' key.

But it only works when I set fDisableAllowList=1, and as Tester says, this allows any program to be run. That's not very secure. When I set fDisableAllowList=0, it does not work. I get the following error:

The path shown in the error dialogue is correct, and this time I have followed the instructions correctly, but it looks like the relevant key cannot be found.

@Tester
I am not sure what your double pipes are supposed to mean, and adding them does not help. The error message just includes them at the beginning of the path. I am naming the key the same as the Name string, and I have tried just using that name in remoteapplicationprogram:s: as well as the full path.

Any help?

left by Liam Westley at 2/18/2010 1:45 AM Gravatar
@SynapseSyndrome Well, you're doing better than me, I followed the instructions from @Tester and I still have a dialog saying RemoteApp is not enabled on my XP SP3 virtual machine running in VirtualBox 3.1.2.

left by Synapse Syndrome at 2/18/2010 9:55 PM Gravatar
I've got it working with fDisableAllowList=0, so that only authorised programs can run through RemoteApp. I did this by following the original intructions, but:

1. fDisableAllowList=0
2. I named the application keys the same as the program name, as in the Name string
3. I used Tester's double pipe in the .rdp file, but with only the application name (as in the key name and Name string), and not the full path.

Now I can my Win7 Ultimate HTPC just as though it was a Win2008/R2 RemoteApp terminal server, yeah!

Later on I will see if I can get all these RemoteApps published on TS-Web (running on 2008 R2), so I can access them through the internet using TS-Gateway. I also want to see if I can get Win2003 serving RemoteApps on it.

left by Tester at 2/20/2010 1:39 AM Gravatar
@Synapse
Glad you got it.
Let me recap with two simple steps, 1) make
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Terminal Server\TSAppAllowList\Applications, now on
on Applications create a key named "Whatever", and within it, a String key named "Path" with the full path to the application. That's all that's required on the server.

2), on the client rdp file:
remoteapplicationmode:i:1
remoteapplicationprogram:s:||Whatever
RemoteApplicationCmdLine:s:Any_Parameter_To_Pass

That's all it took.

left by Tester at 2/20/2010 1:48 AM Gravatar
@Liam
Let us now if you're still having issues. I forgot to add that this has been tested with XP & W7 clients into W7 server. Didn't test from any client into an XP server (yet).

From a XP Client, seems to work since the bare version on SP2 (RDP 6.0?), didn't try any earlier versions.

left by Liam Westley at 2/20/2010 4:30 AM Gravatar
@Synapse @Tester, I just updated the blog post with the additional RDP settings that Aaron Parker had identified are necessary for my remote access to work correctly.

Thanks for all the helpful comments along the way.

Liam

left by sebus at 2/20/2010 9:37 AM Gravatar
@Tester, thanks, nice solution.
And thanks to Aaron Parker for the extra 2 lines that makes it all possible!

sebus

left by sebus at 2/20/2010 9:59 AM Gravatar
The thanks should go in first place to Thierry P

Also in XP SP3 it is:

2. Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Terminal Services -> Session -> Session Time Limits

sebus

left by Liam Westley at 2/20/2010 9:05 PM Gravatar
@sebus Thanks for spotting the time out setting location is different in XP SP3. I'll be doing some testing (now it works at all) in XP and Vista with VMWare and VirtualBox to iron out any bugs like that one.

left by sebus at 2/21/2010 1:23 AM Gravatar
I do not think that the VM platform makes any difference, it should work in anything (vmware, vpc 2007, virtualbox, parallels etc

sebus

left by Liam Westley at 2/21/2010 2:05 AM Gravatar
@sebus I agree, the VM platform shouldn't make a difference. It's just that I put VMWare in the post title and thought it would only be correct for me test it under VMWare Player and Workstation and confirm there is no difference compared to VirtualBox.

The post title was a result of all the information from Microsoft only mentioning Hyper-V or XP Mode type scenarios. I wanted to see if it worked on other VM platforms.

left by dworvos at 2/22/2010 8:48 AM Gravatar
I do not see the key for Terminal Server and by association do not see TsAppAllowList on my Win7 64-bit Professional RTM install (remote server). Any ideas why it doesn't exist?

left by Liam Westley at 2/22/2010 8:32 PM Gravatar
@dworvos Have you tried a standard Remote Desktop Connection to the remote Windows 7, without setting up a specific RemoteApp? Remote Desktop connection is not enabled by default, and only by enabling are the registry keys created.

left by dworvos at 2/23/2010 12:11 AM Gravatar
@Liam Westley I've tried a regular Remote Desktop Connection to my Win 7 machine and it works great. I installed Windows 7 x64 Ultimate into a VM and it seems to have the registry entries from the get-go so it may be a "Ultimate only" feature if you're not running the server version.

left by Synapse Syndrome at 2/24/2010 4:50 AM Gravatar
Does anybody know if it is possible to pull RemoteApps off the server's console session?

left by IT.NeverEnds at 3/2/2010 10:21 AM Gravatar
Hi,
I'm so excited to see this post,
I was just thinking about this myself and wondered if it's do-able ill be checking this on a XP Sp3 machine asap, will keep you updated on this!

left by pinoy_steal at 3/8/2010 3:09 PM Gravatar
Hi,
I ask if this setup can access multiple user on remote app server. Because when i connect to remote app server. other user cannot connect unless i log off.
thanks

left by Liam Westley at 3/8/2010 7:54 PM Gravatar
The RemoteApp technology I described here is designed to replace the Windows 7 XP Mode scenario. Being based on Remote Desktop to a workstation it will always log out the currently logged in user when the remote application is created.

If you want to have multiple users accessing a remote application server I think you're better off looking at something like Microsoft App-V for Remote Desktop Services. Try the following URL for a free eBook (PDF) describing App-V usage scenarios,

(short version - http://bit.ly/9vjzmQ)

left by grintor at 3/31/2010 9:24 AM Gravatar
umm... thats not true about the "always log out the currently logged in user" thing. All you have to do is follow these instrustions and you can log in as many users at once as you want under XP --

left by RemoteAppQuery at 3/31/2010 3:36 PM Gravatar
For those curious, the registry entries for Windows 7 64bit Professional appear to be missing. Adding them in didn't help, and from the looks of Microsoft's Terminal Services Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/rds/archive/2010/03/08/remoteapp-for-hyper-v-vdi-deployment.aspx

This kind of functionality is only available for 32bit versions. I do note a comment from above that someone's ultimate edition 64bit had the entries from the start, but I haven't personally experienced that.

left by Liam Westley at 3/31/2010 9:16 PM Gravatar
@RemoteAppQuery If the Terminal Services sub system is running under 32 bit mode within the 64 bit o/s then the registry keys will be located in a different branch,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT

Not sure that will sort it but worth a try.

left by RemoteAppQuery at 4/1/2010 4:10 AM Gravatar
Okay, if you're going nuts like I was looking for the terminal server keys, you may not have Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise, or Vista Ultimate or Enterprise. These keys do not exist in Windows 7 Professional, though they do exist in Windows XP Pro SP3 with the updates.

I still don't know if 64 bit works or not, but at least that explains why my keys were gone.

left by Sam at 5/10/2010 6:45 PM Gravatar
Hi,
I am having windows 7 professional 32bit and there is no entry in registry for Terminal Server .
I want to know can we host remoteapps on windows 7 professional or do we need windows 7 ultimate only to host remote apps or is it available to 64bit version only? or do we need to install some feature from Programs and Features in control panel?

Thanks

left by inter-rupteur at 5/18/2010 12:00 AM Gravatar
Hi all,

I’m on Seven 64 bits business and i don’t see the Terminal Server key in the registry… So i created using the registry values listed in the example in this post. But it is not working when i connect from a XP to my Seven ! It is working from my Seven to the XP ! I think that the values in the registry of the Seven 64, is not in the good place !!

Any Idea ?????
Thanks a lot

left by wall mount TV at 9/5/2010 2:20 PM Gravatar

wall mount TV

left by David at 9/7/2010 1:17 AM Gravatar
that is why i uninstall win 7.it is very complex in the VM.Now I just install win 2003 in the VM.Many programs are working well on it. Anyway,thanks for your sharing.

David

left by casino bonus at 9/26/2010 2:46 AM Gravatar

left by free itunes download at 9/26/2010 2:50 PM Gravatar

left by Badbob001 at 10/24/2010 5:53 AM Gravatar
For anything other than notepad.exe in the example, I have to add the double pipes in the .rdp file for remoteapplicationprogram.

When connecting from XP to Win7, I'm initially shown the Windows 7 login screen. How do I get it to save my credentials so I am not prompted again?

left by benk at 11/10/2010 11:15 AM Gravatar
Oh what a tease. I've been dreaming about this for so long and now I find out I'm missing out because I run 64 bit windows? :(

left by MO at 1/19/2011 5:54 AM Gravatar
this doesnt work for me. i follow everything to a T and when i click on the .rdp file i saved, nothing at all happens...

left by Manvir at 1/31/2011 11:07 PM Gravatar
Hi, i have been playing around with this and i end up failing.

the host is a win xp SP3 with hotfix and RDP 7.0
the client is a win 7 home premium. (the host is running as a VM on vmware.

My problem is thr RDP file opens to a desktop view when you hit the show details. it does not launch the app. i have tried just going with the direct path instead of the registry to no avail. please do help me out. i dont think my file config is wrong because i had taken it from arons site and modified it but it may be the issue. is there a way to check if the hotfix was installed correctly ?

left by Joacim Brandell at 2/25/2011 1:07 AM Gravatar
Worked wondefully thanks!

First had to change the OS on the host to Windows 7 Ultimate since it was not functioning on Windows 7 Professional for me.

left by Toby at 4/5/2011 2:19 AM Gravatar
didn't work first from windows 7 pc to windows 7. Fixed it by changing
remoteapplicationprogram:s to
remoteapplicationprogram:s:c:\program files\myprogram\program.exe

starts as it's supposed to and just works.

left by David Lambros at 5/6/2011 7:28 AM Gravatar
I got this working with DynDNS so I can use the app from anywhere! Love it! Thanks for the GREAT article!

left by Flo at 6/27/2011 6:13 AM Gravatar
Tester wrote:
"First, do not set fDisableAllowList=1 or else you lose any control on what you allow remote users to run."

Please correct me if I am wrong, but If i set fDisableAllowList=1 the user will only have access to the programms he is allowed to run anyway if he logs onto the remote desktop? Or does this mean he is able to run ALL programs, also programs he has no rights for (for example admin or root exe).

Kind Regards
Flo

left by gyurmo at 7/31/2011 9:46 PM Gravatar
Hello, Can you anybody, how can I make from pure Win7 32bit a RemoteApp server? So I need to reach Win7 application on XP.
I havent HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Terminal Server registry key, and I havent rdpinit.exe
rdpinit.exe has in C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-t..lications-clientsku_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_20e28a44a465abf4 path. But how can I use is? I put to path, but isnt, working. I wait for any idea. Please.

left by Kim Knight at 8/4/2011 4:51 PM Gravatar
Hi everyone, I just wrote a GUI utility to manage RemoteApps on Win7/xp/vista hosts. Hope this helps people.

left by Andy at 9/6/2011 9:50 PM Gravatar
Would anybody pls upload the Remoteapp tool from Kim Knight. The site is offline so i couldn't download it.

Thanks

left by Andy at 9/6/2011 10:08 PM Gravatar
Did anybody download the Tool of Kim Knight? I would like to use it but the Homepage is down.
Thanks

left by Liam Westley at 9/7/2011 12:18 AM Gravatar
@Andy,

I haven't download it myself so can't upload it for you. Sorry.

left by xpclient at 9/9/2011 3:28 AM Gravatar
The site seems to have moved here: http://sites.google.com/site/kimknight/home-1

left by Liam Westley at 9/9/2011 3:54 AM Gravatar
@XPClient

Many thanks - new links looks good and I've downloaded it now (and updated the top of the post).

left by mwajda at 1/2/2012 7:33 AM Gravatar
I have problem with remoteapp on virtual box. With everything setted up like it is described in this thread I have rdp connecting window with after a while enabled details button. The session seems to hang out but in those details there is a windows session showed up - like mirror of vm machine (what is made within connecting window is visible on vm and vice versa). Another thing is that there is no login form (just showed actual vm's windows session) and furthermore managing allowed apps in registry nothing changes (f.e. no window that there isn't avaiable app within remoteapp). What else must be done to achieve expected results? Is there is some another tasks that must be taken to consideration? I must add that there is urgent request... and that this procedure works fine with virtual pc (but there is need to use usb smart card devices which isn't possible with vpc)

left by Tim at 2/19/2012 9:23 PM Gravatar
How can I enable RemoteApp on Win7Prof host?

left by Topper at 6/26/2012 3:11 AM Gravatar
I see here is known in depth RDP and RemoteApp.
So if I can ask here for little help... ;)
One of my computers win'7 pro works just fine with RemoteApp (which in fact is network app \\server\share\app.exe) till few days ago.
The login window just close and nothing happens.
If I zeroed in .rdp option "remoteapplicationmode:i:0" I see some errors which seems like .exe can't find work directory. I know that error from shortcuts I've created long time ago and this is necessary "work directory" option.
Any way, now I'm looking how to erase all data, stored after install/use RemoteApp application.
But can't find this data, where are stored ???

left by Ivan at 9/20/2012 3:20 AM Gravatar
WOW! Thanks.

left by Basti at 7/2/2013 6:10 PM Gravatar
WOW, first thanks!!

One question:
On host i need a user with admin-rights? is this true?

Is it possible to only allow a user to login via remoteAppp and not via standard remotedesktop?

Thanks in advance!!

# can AnyOne can make his own custom vmconnect

left by Stuart at 7/24/2013 9:34 PM Gravatar
Don't Knw right place for my question or not..
Actully i want to make an vmconnect app which take guid of vm not all credential...Please help me if anyone have code for this
Thankx in advance

left by Axel at 1/6/2014 7:06 AM Gravatar
Simply use for all this the "Remote App Tool"

Backlink to my short story: https://wiki.blue-it.org/Rdesktop

Simply works without any configuration hassle ;-)

Axel