Remove empty lines in text using Visual Studio.

Visual Studio has ability to delete empty lines in replace operation using regular expressions.
1.Click Ctrl-H (quick replace)
2. Tick "Use Regular Expressions"
3. In Find specify ^$\n
4. In Replace box delete everything.
5 Click "Replace All"
All empty lines will be deleted.

Regular expression for empty line consist of

Beginning of line ^

End of line $

Line break \n

Note that normally in Windows an end of line  indicated by 2 characters CRLF - Carriage Return (CR, ASCII 13, \r) Line Feed (LF, ASCII 10, \n).

Addition from  Kenneth at 6/18/2009:
A regex to remove blank lines that are/aren't *really* blank (i.e. they do/don't have spaces):   ^:b*$\n

Addition from   Igor  at 8/5/2011:

To remove double lines:  ^:b*\n:b*\n replace with:  \n

To delete  rows with single comma

3. In Find specify ^,$\n

For similar requirement to remove comma at the end of lines in text, do the following steps.

1.Click Ctrl-H (quick replace)
2. Tick "Use Regular Expressions"
 In Find specify ,\r?\n.
4. In Replace box type \n

5 Click "Replace All"

posted @ Tuesday, March 4, 2008 4:28 PM

Comments on this entry:

Left by Rob at 5/15/2008 4:12 AM
Cool, thanks!

Left by felipe at 5/30/2008 1:18 AM
Oh man i've been asking myself how to do this for years :D
thanks for the neat tip! this helped me a lot!!

Left by Asbjorn at 7/31/2008 3:37 AM
Thanks alot :)

VS added 350.000 empty lines in one of my files..

Left by Pete at 9/6/2008 4:34 AM
thanks! could you explain the regex? why is the newline character after the end of line marker?

Left by Michael Freidgeim at 9/6/2008 2:42 PM
Pete,
I've added more info about regEx into my post.

Left by Sung at 10/2/2008 9:53 AM
thanks for the tips.
after playing with it, i find \t\n with wildcards configuration do the works too.

Left by Ross Youngblood at 10/20/2008 8:50 AM
This doesn't work in Visual Studio 6.0 (As far as I could tell.) Yes we are stuck in the dark ages.
I suppose I could download Emacs... and be done with this problem.

Left by Michael Freidgeim at 10/20/2008 10:06 PM
Ross,
You also can download Visual Studio 2008 Express, which is a good editor (even if you have to compile in Visual Studio 6.0)

Left by shophola at 4/27/2009 3:45 PM
cool! tips :D

Left by Gyanendra Kumar Mishra at 5/18/2009 2:47 PM
Thanks really this code is a life saver

Left by Kenneth at 6/18/2009 3:28 PM
I would offer an addendum:

^:b*$\n

Left by Steven Chalk at 8/23/2009 6:18 AM
simple when you see the answer but I wasted and hour or so trying combinations until I found this solution. Well done.

Left by samy at 12/1/2009 11:49 AM
well. it is a lifesaver. i think the first line should be changed to ctrl+H instead of ctrl+D as mentioned

Left by Michael Freidgeim at 12/2/2009 5:44 AM
samy, thanks, it's indeed ctrl-H

Left by Haidar at 12/3/2009 6:55 AM
Great solution in short.

Thanks,
Haidar

Left by Vaishnavi at 12/22/2009 2:54 AM
Thank you. helped me in formatting code which I got it from the net. Worked in a jiffy

Left by Nouman Zakir at 3/23/2010 11:25 AM
thank you so much, i hate those blank lines when ever i paste some code from website or notepad. thanks to your tip i will never see those lines again.

Left by Sagar at 3/31/2010 8:56 AM
ultimate..
it workss..!!
really thanks

Left by mhd at 3/31/2010 11:08 PM
wow! why i didn't think of that before?!?
I think the 'magic' is in the $\n .
So,from now I will use $\n everytime I want to mass delete certain lines without leaving blank line trace. Thanks!!

Left by danbo at 5/10/2010 4:22 PM
Kenneth, perfect for cleaning up the mess VS sometimes makes of the html.

thanks,

danbo

Left by ELemus at 5/25/2010 2:20 PM
Gracias por la solución (Tanx 4 the solution) Great

Left by Roman at 5/28/2010 8:09 AM
Thanks!!! 8))

Left by Ed at 11/11/2010 1:55 PM
Thanks for this post. I found the resulting no lines a bit difficult to read.

I used

Search for: ^$\n+
Replace With:\n

Left by mt at 1/25/2011 6:38 AM
Thanks A lot kenneth.

Left by Anthony at 1/31/2011 3:48 PM
What about going the other way and inserting carriage returns?

tried replacing with \n or \r

predictably just adds '\n'

Left by Anthony at 1/31/2011 3:51 PM
Just make sure regular expression check box in the options is checked, then it should work

Left by EvilDr at 2/9/2011 2:53 AM
724 occurrence(s) replaced - in 0 seconds!
Dude that is one awesome tip :-D

Left by Tim at 6/30/2011 10:41 AM
works perfectly thanks!

Left by Igor at 8/5/2011 11:08 AM
Great, I modifyed your code to remove double lines:
^:b*\n:b*\n
replace with:
\n
Worked like a charm!

Left by Srinu at 8/11/2011 11:33 PM
Thank u ...For this post...

Left by logicalweb at 8/12/2011 5:23 AM
Thank u ...For this post...
even i've been asking myself how to do this for years :D

Left by mice from space at 10/3/2011 6:05 PM
GREAT JOB!!!!

Left by Matthew at 3/4/2012 5:59 PM
This no longer works in VS 11, Leaving the Replace with field blank just makes it insert an emptly line. Any ideas?

Left by Ryan Martin at 11/17/2012 9:36 AM
This is very similar to what I am looking for. Can someone please help me out with the following RegEx pattern to find the following code in my JavaScript file.

I'm looking for all of the jQuery $("#some-element-by-id") or $(".some-element-by-class") references that do not contain either a # or . inside them which is breaking my Replace function. I have a 6000 line JavaScript file so its been tough to locate the culprit.

I tried the following with no such luck.
$("[^#]
$("[^.]
$("[^#*]")
$("[^.*]")

Left by michael freidgeim at 11/17/2012 9:33 PM
Ryan,
You don't need to use regular expression. Just search for $(" as string, (not regular expressions) to output all relevant records to "search results" window.
Then copy output to a new file and in this file replace all occurrences of $(". And $("# with empty strings. Remaining rows with $(" will be what are you looking for.

Left by thehill at 1/12/2013 9:56 AM
great post, thanks, it set me on the right track

my objective was to remove surplus blank lines within vb code window, i.e multiple blank lines(including tabs and spaces) would all be reduced to one empty line (no spaces and no tabs)

i was able to run the double lines example recursively and it gave me the result that i was after. Or at least i thought it did until i opened my files back up and studio was complaining about inconsistent line endings, i think we ended up with LF when it was looking for CRLF

i propose the following which resolves both of these issues
find ^{:b*\n}+:b*\n
replace \x000D\x000A

^ start of line
{:b*\n}+ one or more lines containing only zero or more whitespace chars
:b*\n exactly one line containing only zero or more whitespace chars

\x000D\x000A unicode identifiers for CR followed by LF

i can now run this against the whole solution and achieve exactly what i want in one step

Left by a at 7/24/2014 10:16 PM