So if cloud storage is down or your internet connection to your Xbox is down, in most cases you can still play games you saved to Cloud Storage.
Note: This only applies to the Xbox that you last played the game on since it is relying on cached data. If you try it on some other Xbox then it may not work at all or may present you with older data (e.g. you are only level 22 when you really had gotten up to level 24 and you don’t have all those cool items you found).
- From the dashboard, go to “Settings”.
- Choose “System”.
- Choose “Storage”.
- Choose “Cloud Saved Games” (yes it’ll say something like “Offline”, just ignore that text).
- Find the game you want to play (e.g. “Borderlands 2”) and choose it.
- For each item (many games only have one file per player but some have more than one file), choose it, then choose “Copy”, and then as a destination choose either your hard drive or a memory unit (e.g. a USB thumb drive that’s formatted for use with the Xbox 360). Make sure that you copy all of the items to the same location (i.e. all to the hard drive or all to the same memory unit).
- When you have finished copying all items for the game to another storage device, you can back up to step 5 and repeat steps 5 and 6 for as many games as you want. You do not need to do all games at the same time nor do you need to do all of them at once.
- When you are finished, back out to the dashboard and proceed to launch the game you want to play. When it asks you to choose a storage device, make sure you select the storage device that you copied the game’s save game data to (i.e. your hard drive or the appropriate memory unit).
- When the game has loaded, verify that you are at the same level you were last at and have the same items you had. (If not then if you want you can still proceed to play but understand that that progress and those items will be lost forever on this “new” save game path. This should only happen if you are playing on a different Xbox than you had last played the game on when you were still able to access cloud storage. If you have access to that other Xbox, you could copy the save game data onto a memory unit and then move the memory unit to the Xbox that you wish to play on.)
- Play the game.
- When you have access to cloud storage again, you can copy your save games back to cloud storage by following steps 1 through 7 again except in step 4 choose the storage device you have been playing from (hard drive or MU) and in step 6 choose “Cloud Saved Games”. Make sure to launch the game, choose Cloud Storage, and verify that your progress and items are correct.
The above instructions are provided “AS IS” with no warranties or guarantees. In other words, it works for me but its not my fault if it doesn’t work for you or if you accidentally copy an old save game over a newer save game and obliterate a whole bunch of progress or anything else. If you have any worries, just wait until you can access cloud storage again.
(n.b. Borderlands is a registered trademark of Gearbox Software, LLC.)