Posts
Comments
120
Trackbacks
My Thoughts On “ChevronWP7”

Today (well, yesterday now) was Thanksgiving here in the U.S. In addition to doing my traditional family things (making and eating a large, Turkey-centered dinner), I found some time to pop on to the computer. To my dismay I saw that the #WP7 hashtag on Twitter was filled with news of a program/project called “ChevronWP7” (which presumably has no connection to the U.S. petroleum products company, Chevron Corp. – which has a market cap of $166 billion dollars and whose trademark lawyers may well decide to bury the people behind “ChevronWP7” in lawsuits, something I’d personally be delighted to hear).

“ChevronWP7” is a “jail-breaking” thing (it apparently involves running some code and possibly visiting a website, mucking in your registry and I don’t even know what else… hence calling it a “thing”). The developers of it protest that their motives are noble and have put up a webpage condemning anyone pirating apps and claiming that it can’t be used to pirate anything anyway. They note that they, too, are app developers and just want to help people load things onto their phones that would never pass marketplace certification and are just exploring the hardware blah blah… .

I really don’t care what your motives are. The fact remains that you have created a tool, the sole purpose of which is to circumvent the security restrictions of the phone. Anyone who thinks that doesn’t hasten the arrival of pirated apps is deluding themselves. You’ve moved the ball forward on that. You. Not someone else. The fact that someone else might have done it eventually anyway doesn’t make it any less harmful and doesn’t make it “OK” that you did it. (And as I understand it, this all began with someone gaining unauthorized access to a DLL that one of the service providers was using in one of their apps which linked in to native code; if that is the case then you’ve advanced that day significantly since without that, your tool never would’ve happened).

You claim to be app developers. If you are, you should’ve gotten the email from Microsoft on November 15th entitled “Windows Phone 7 App Protection”. You were already knee deep in your development and had put out several blog posts tooting your own horn (as though you thought that other developers would all be thrilled to watch you try to tear down the security barriers that Microsoft erected specifically to protect us from people pirating our applications and games). When I read that email, I instantly took it as a warning directed at you. Since you seemed to stop mentioning it, I assumed maybe you’d gotten the hint (or that someone from Microsoft had contacted you and made it clear). Obviously you didn’t take it that way.

You say that the tool can’t be used to illegally load apps from the marketplace. How should we know? Because you say so? It was suggested to me by one of you that I go try for myself. Yes. That’s exactly what I want to do. I want to use your tool that, in my reading of them, violates the App Hub Terms of Use to try to load a XAP file from the marketplace which, other than through unauthorized access to Microsoft’s systems, I could not even acquire legally for such a test. Sorry, but it’s not ok for me to breach my contract with Microsoft and possibly break a lot of laws just so I can make sure that your tool which (in my reading of them) violates the applicable contracts and possibly breaks a lot of laws doesn’t make it easy for someone else to break the law by stealing any apps and games I might develop.

Like I said earlier, I really don’t care at all what someone’s motives are in developing burglar’s tools. “Jailbreaking” is just a euphemism for “helping criminals steal from developers who depend on the software they write to help pay their rent, feed their kids, buy clothes, and meet the other ordinary expenses one incurs in life”. But calling it “jailbreaking” makes you sound like less of a monster who is making people’s lives worse and more of a freedom fighter (who is aiding criminal organizations, but let’s leave that part off, right?).

Are there people in countries who can’t sign up for an AppHub account yet? Yes and I feel bad for them and hope that Microsoft works to open the AppHub up to developers from as many countries as possible as quickly as is possible. But they aren’t helped by this tool of yours. Because they still can’t sell their apps without an AppHub account. Being able to circumvent the security restrictions so that they can deploy software to actual phone hardware doesn’t change that fact. No, all your tool does is provide one of the planks for the bridge to piracy. But if it helps you feel like less of a monster, go ahead and post the pages and comments condemning the very thing you have helped to enable. Call it “jailbreaking” and ignore the fact that developers WILL lose money as a result of this, with all the consequences that a reduction of income entails (“sorry kids, but we aren’t having lunch today because Daddy lost his job and too many people are stealing the programs that Mommy writes for us to be able to afford luxuries like lunch anymore.”). Do whatever it takes to help yourself get to sleep at night. Because being a celebrity is totally worth being a sociopath without any concern for your fellow human beings. Isn’t it?

(P.S. I can’t wait to hear news of your whining and complaining when Microsoft decides to ban you from the AppHub. Not that they guaranteedly will, mind you. But I’m really hoping they do. Promoting and aiding in the circumvention of security restrictions is exactly the sort of thing someone should be banned for. I know that I will gladly defend Microsoft’s actions if they do. You’ll probably try to spin it as “mega corp attacks fun-loving, innocent developers”. But the fun-loving innocent developers are those of us abiding by the terms of our agreements and trying to create great apps and games for customers around the world. You are attacking us by making tools that circumvent security restrictions and help criminals. Microsoft banning you would simply be them sticking up for us. It’s their call how to deal with this abominable act of yours, of course. But don’t harbor any illusions that developers would universally support you. This developer, at least, most certainly would not.)

Update (Dec. 1, 2010, 8:41am EST):

I was glad when a friend forwarded me this post - http://www.chevronwp7.com/post/2057541126/pursuing-the-future-of-homebrew-on-windows-phone-7 - outlining a good discussion between Microsoft and the creators of ChevronWP7, including an agreement by the ChevronWP7 folks to immediately discontinue the unlocking tool.

posted on Friday, November 26, 2010 5:48 AM Print
Comments
critter42
11/26/2010 8:57 AM
You're missing the forest for the trees...

"jailbreaking" ANY phone is NOT about piracy - never has been. This is about wresting control of hardware YOU have bought and paid for out of the carrier (and/or handset manufacturer) and BACK into yours.

I understand that software developers are necessarily paranoid about piracy - especially on Windows platforms, but come ON...unless this article is some kind of Reductio ad absurdum post that I'm missing, you're going way overboard - "sociopaths", "criminals", "burglars"? If this really is not a joke article, you *really* have no grasp on the smartphone market.

The difference between a PC and a smartphone (and the big issue I feel you are missing) is that PCs have no artificially-imposed limitation on what can be installed. If there is a GPL'd application I find on Sourceforge instead of Microsoft's site, I can freely download it and install it as I want to on my PC. If I want to buy and install one of those Japanese MahJong or Qix knock-off games with the naked chicks on them, what right does Dell have to tell me I can't? However, on smartphones (especially iPhones) this is not the case. To install an app you HAVE to use their market - you have NO OTHER OPTIONS unless you jailbreak it. NONE! I would like to see your rationalization/justification for this.

This is exactly the same as buying a new PC at Best Buy and then being told that you can only install applications that are specifically purchased from Best Buy stores. Would you really stand for that? Really?

There are tons apps for the iPhone and Android phones that are NOT ILLEGAL or WAREZ but not allowed in the platforms' "Market" due to silly things like using undocumented APIs, content too lascivious or uncomfortable for the people that manage the market, or just because they don't like it. So what if I want to install a FREE (really free, not WAREZ) app - or even an app I PAID for - that uses the camera in a new way that's not allowed on a non-jailbroken iPhone? That is my prerogative and no manufacturer or carrier's "market" should have a say so.

Can jailbreaking allow piracy? Yes, I'm not denying that it doesn't, but it is NOT the be-all, end-all to jailbreaking that you theorize. Again, jailbreaking != piracy in the smartphone world. It really and truly doesn't. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of people with Jailbroken phones that don't realize you can install warez in this condition - they just want to be able to see boobies on their phone without the Morality Police in Cupertino telling them they can't.

Mort8088
11/26/2010 9:01 AM
"circumvention of security restrictions" read DRM, isn't that covered by the DMCA? and if so this could result in jail time.
Nicholas
11/26/2010 9:11 AM
as an owner of your PicturesLab for wp7, I agree 100% that this will only serve to hurt the fledgling OS since the success of it depends on developers like you to create high quality apps.
Anything that discourages developers from this platform will only hurt the OS in the long run due to apple and google having a big headstart.
Eric
11/26/2010 10:06 AM
What really annoys me, is the need for such a tool at all. Why should I not be allowed to write a WP7 application, which I may have no intenton of selling, and load it on MY phone without having to pay $100 for the priviledge of doing so. One of the very things that have helped make Microsoft so successful is the freedom and ease that they've given developers in the past is to create and sell applications to be run on their OS, is now being greatly restricted.
MIke Hole
11/26/2010 10:28 AM
+1 member of the Us list.
pcc
11/26/2010 10:31 AM
Right on. I agree.
Hassan Selim
11/26/2010 10:31 AM
From what I understand, all this tool does is allow you to load and run apps/games on WP7 wihtout having to download them through the App Hub.
I find this useful for a lot of developers, because sometimes you just want to share an app/game with your friends without actually putting it out on the Marketplace, simply because it's a simple app (like a proof of concept) or because you don't want to go through the hassel of putting something on the Marketplace for something that's not really worth all that.
On a lot of phones (Sony Ericsson and Nokia) allow you to copy a .jar file (or .sis for symbian) and run it on your phone to install an app or game, I really enjoy this as makes me feel like I'm on PC and I can get whatever app I want from wherever website I want, and I always hated iPhones because you can only get apps through a Marketplace that has a lot of restrictions.

I agree that this will probably help in piracy, but who didn't see that coming anyways ?
Piracy will always exist even if you put the most secure system to protect against it, all these things just delay piracy and not prevent it !

As a developer (well, almost), I find it nice that I can just compile and build a windows phone app or game in Visual Studio and take the output XAP file and put it on my phone or share it with my friends through my blog so we can have fun with that app/game too.
Without this tool, my only way to share my app/game is to put on the App Hub (which has a lot of requirements), or to share the source code and force people to compile it on Visual Studio while connecting their phones to their PC just to have some fun with a simple app/game that I made in a few days !

So I think we should stop looking at the dark side of this tool, and stop saying: "this tool will help piracy which will steal money from developers, which will make a lot of companies go bankrupt, which will ruin the economy, which will have a lot of bad effects on everybody ... ... omg, we have to sue these guys now!"
and instead look at how this tool can make life easier for simple developers who don't work in larg companies.

and sorry for the (extremely) long comment, I just found that you were being so (annoyingly) strict with the guys who made that tool, and I just wanted to cool things down a bit.
Chevy
11/26/2010 10:41 AM
chevron:
V-shaped symbol: a V-shaped symbol, especially one used as a sign of rank on military or police uniforms
heraldic ornament: a heraldic ornament in the form of a wide inverted V-shape

See the movie Stargate where the stargate was opened by aligning the appropriate chevrons in sequence.
blackofe
11/26/2010 11:23 AM
i don't agree with you.

there are things, that - yes - have the only goal - to help criminals. say, a jimmy - a special tool to open a lock without a key. it may be used exclusively and only for criminal purposes (however it's a matter of arguing, too. someday, when i closed my keys in the trunk of my car, the AAA guy helped me with exactly such a thing :)).

but let's talk about cars. we all use cars. alas, the criminals may use them, too! for example, to run from the police! let's ban cars, just because the criminals may use them!

the unlock tool, that ChevronWP7 (do not mix with Chevron, trimming letters, as you definitely do not mix, say, t-mobile and mobil ;)) invented, breaks stupid (yes, stupid) restrictions, that do not let me do anything, what i want to do with the device i've bought and paid for. it depends on me, how i'm gonna use it - not on ChevronWP7 themselves. and it depends on who i am - a criminal or a honest taxpayer.
anonymous
11/26/2010 3:10 PM
Give someone a soapbox, and they'll get right on it and start their verbal diarrhoea.

If it wasn't for the likes of ChevronWP7 and XDA-Devs...the smartphone industry would still be un-smart.

Do you need the best example of all that contradicts your statement? Sysinternals and Mark Russinovich. Yes, the same people who brought us FileMon and RegMon. Yes the same guy who discovered that the alteration of two registry values in the Windows Registry of the Workstation edition of Windows NT 4 would allow the installation of Microsoft BackOffice products which were licensed only for the Server edition.

And now he's a Technical Fellow at Microsoft.

Enjoy your soapbox...I miss the days where you actually had to know something to run a blog. These days it seems there's just more people like you.
Rael Hodgson
11/26/2010 5:58 PM
didn't even make it past the first sentence, get a life
Anonymous
11/26/2010 7:42 PM
You're an idiot and obviously do not understand what jailbreaking/rooting a device is all about. See Long Zheng's rebuttal to your FUD article: http://www.istartedsomething.com/20101127/my-thoughts-on-my-thoughts-on-chevronwp7/
Guest
11/26/2010 8:04 PM
1. An underlying assumption in your argument is that "piracy leads to financial loss". However all academic literature seriously investigating IP piracy (Books, Music, Films and apps) have clearly shown that the bottom 97% of content in-fact benefits financially from piracy.

Let's do a thought experiment, assuming that it is clearly proven that piracy benefits 97% of WP7 apps, will you support it? If not, why not? For the sake of an oppressing ToU?

2. You have trivialized the hardships of developers who do not have official access to the app hub. Put yourself in the shoes of developers who would have the spend the equivalent of 500$ for AppHub access (adjusting 100$ USD to local purchasing power parity). Do you truly believe there is no value for those foreign WP7 developers and the WP7 ecosystem by enabling those developers to develop apps without paying that heavy cost? Or at least, postponing that enormous expense until it is truly required?

3. You have said "You say that the tool can’t be used to illegally load apps from the marketplace. How should we know?". You are a software developer. Presumably that means you can understand code and use the WP7 emulator. That should enable you to look into this particular workaround without breaking any ToU with Microsoft. If you do not take advantage of that option, are you adding value to this discussion or are you just grandstanding?

Explore this workaround and make up your own mind.

4. I disagree with the following statement "you have created a tool, the sole purpose of which is to circumvent the security restrictions of the phone". Microsoft has built sideloading apps into each and every WP7 phone out there. They have chosen to limit that feature based on nationality, taxation and payment. There are those of us who disagree with locking WP7 development behind closed doors. You may not share this opinion, but it is a valid opinion.

Point blank, Chevron WP7 enabled sideloading apps to all WP7 consumers. Which is an ability that already exists in all phones.
Link Tamake
11/27/2010 1:04 AM
Get fucked. The functionality is in the OS and can be unlocked through a payment to Microsoft. How is that any different?
aarick
11/27/2010 3:24 AM
What a stupid article! Should title it "An idiots thoughts of ChevronWP7" Jailbreaking is legal as deemed by the US government. In no way is this tool made to allow piracy. It's to allow unapproved by Microsoft apps to be loaded..as how a developer would through the app hub..or just look at iOS and the great tweaks jailbreaking has given it..geez!!
Niall
11/27/2010 4:01 AM
Thanks for a well thought out and well worded blog post.

I agree completely with your pov.

Those that don't generally fall into one of these categories :

1. They program WP7 apps for fun and really don't care about about loss of sales (or have no intention to sell apps).

2. They are upset their country is still in a waiting list and are so impatient that they can't see the big picture of what this hack will do to their market once it it's online.

3. They are anti-corporation, anti this and anti that - which generally implies they have no commercial sense or just work for someone else and don't have to worry about actual business issues like profit/loss.

4. They are looking forward to pirating WP7 apps.

I'm pretty certain the chevron authors fall into point .1 above. (they have other 'day jobs' and aren't trying to make a buck from apps).

There's a fundamental point that the chevron folk and most of these commenters just seem to miss -

"While all 'registered' developers have the ability to sideload apps - they are a very small percentage of the total userbase for Windows Phone 7 - and in general they aren't interested in pirating apps for a number of reasons (and if they did it wouldnt matter given the small number). The chevron app however gives this power to every single user at no cost (the other 99.9%) - of which a very large percentage will be very keen to use it for piracy. It's these other users which are going to be the massive problem for those trying to make a living from apps."

They have very much opened the door to piracy - and being a WP7 developer - and also someone who knows quite a bit about copy protection (from other non WP7 apps I write and sell) - there's a number of weak points in XAP + WP7 security that can now be quite easily exploited because of what they released. (for obvious reasons I won't list these things - which do extend beyond simple repackaging of XAPs).

If their tool didn't exist - then these weak points couldn't be exploited (until someone else wanting 5 minutes of fame released something like this of course.)

Of course - again lets not forget - everyone who is a legit/registered developer (or who has asked MS for a dev certificate for testing) - does not need Chevron. This tool is clearly not aimed at any real WP7 developers.

Juggernaut
11/27/2010 4:39 AM
While I understand the concern in this blog post I definitely cannot agree with the opinion. The user buys his phone, it *should* be his right to load any application he wants on it. Imagine you would be allowed to get an application for your PC only and only through Microsoft's Web shop - would you like it?

ChevronWP7 opens a door for alternative software distribution means, web site downloads, even alternate marketplaces (though that's unlikely to pass through M$ defenses).

The blog post talks about circumventing "security". Well, what security are we talking about here? The only security involved is the security which grants Microsoft the monopolist position of the only software distribution channel holder. This may be no concern to many people - and those are certainly not being forced to use ChevronWP7. But for others including me it is always good to have an alternate option, which would prevent the monopolist's excesses. Or do you like Microsoft to be able to decide what software you are allowed to use - the same way as Apple is banning Flash player on iPhones?

Craven Moorehead
11/27/2010 9:05 AM
Chevron is awesome - your a fvckin tool that doesent even know what jailbreaking is. Stop commenting on things you know nothing about
Al
11/27/2010 10:06 AM
This is an idiotic reaction - securing your app is something you should worry about not rely on the OS!

Have you developed for windows, mac, linux, nokia, android? These all have open app loading and piracy is a problem for those that don't use registration codes and a registration server - problem has been solved for years.

If you think that piracy with ever be solved in the OS level you are living in cloud cuckoo land! There will always be people around who will break open closed OSs - they love the challenge and they are opposed to ideas of closed OSs. These people will never make up the majority of users, so they are just a fact of life.

meh
11/27/2010 11:01 AM
Get over yourself. Microsoft just forgot to add a realtime DRM checker yet, like Android's Market Licensing Library. Done properly it offers far more protection than any vendor lock-in.
Joe Z.
11/27/2010 11:27 AM
"Breaks a lot of laws?" I don't think so.

And by the way, the jailbreak for the iphone did not destroy the iphone app market, and did not destroy the lives of iphone developers.
Toa Klyrz
11/27/2010 12:06 PM
You sir are a blow heart and you are clueless about ChevronWP7. Long and crew are passionate developers who are helping us developers in countries where market place isn't available actually have a way to get apps on the phone.

It's a tool good sir. A tool. How people use it is up to them.

If anything this tool forces developers to continue to deliver updates and new functionality on marketplace (and you know what people will buy the apps/updates).

I hope you get a clue and have Chevron lawyers hunt you down and shut your blog down for improper use of the Chevron brand name.
Gordon
11/27/2010 1:46 PM
Given that people expect to be able to load "unauthorised" apps from the single vendor controlling the market, something like this will possibly make WP7 last a little longer than the Kin. Who knows, it may last until the sales in January before being cancelled.

Although given the number of basic features missing from WP7 it's more like someone on the Titanic sticking their finger in a hole under the hopes that it'll make a significant difference to the outcome.
You're missing the point
11/27/2010 1:47 PM
this isn't about piracy. apps in the marketplace have content protection that MS tells us is good enough.
This is allowing a developer to tinker and load apps on their own device withouthaving to pay the $99 and jump through legal hoops (not available in some countries) and for those who choose not to distribute their app through the MS Store ... why would I pay $99+$20/app/year just to put a free app in the store?
Ranting about piracy and destroying the marketplace is just nonsense. Has the ability to sideload on Android devices hurt that platform? (NO). Has jailbreaking hurt the iPhone ecosystem? (NO)
It's telling that the closed ecosystems (many J2ME powered devices, BREW, RIM) are suffering.
Nice flamebait, but very little actual fact or value
Student
11/27/2010 4:26 PM
hah, I find this article to be full of rage and lacks the necessary research and understanding of its topic.

Micheal, I know what you are concerned about. But hey, are you actually UNDERSTANDING the implications of this article and what it tells about you?

I can clearly see that you are pretty much an internet troll and lack the necessary ability to publish an article that is unbiased.

Please, you wrote this yesterday. Try to go over it and see how ashamed you should be saying all of that IN PUBLIC.

I can't stand how ridiculous you sound in this article. You try at the very least to sound not pathetic and be friend, but you ultimately sound stupid. I'm not trying to make an argument about the topic about how biased you are or how stupid this article is. What I'm trying to tell you is that you should probably keep your rage to yourself, and write an article only when you are relaxed and very aware of what you are writing.

You are probably a better person than this, but, you just simply annoy the heck out of me with all of your whining and rage.
Wayne Bloss
11/27/2010 10:01 PM
I own the hardware. Suck it.
Shinji
11/28/2010 12:42 AM
Did anyone miss the part where they indicated the xap files have their own protection and that parts has NOT been tampered with? It is technically impossible to sideload a paid app illegally with their tool alone. Yes it may be a first step but all they did was open the sideloading door which is legal. Jailbreaking is legal under DMCA exemptions and they did no wrong here.

I did like how open prior OS releases were but when WP7 was announced I was put off by how closed they were going to make it so my attention went to Android (a Google OPEN platform) and iPhone (a no so open one but far superior). I ended up choosing Android and I did a few things to give me a bit more freedom but I did it for my own purposes. Not to pirate or anything. All the apps on my phone are paid for.
Steve
11/28/2010 1:00 PM
Blah blah blah

I love rules, I love to follow rules

blah blah blah

Other's should follow the rules even if said rules are arbitarry.

blah blah blah

Yawn... who cares?
piaqt
11/28/2010 1:26 PM
The kindest interpretation of this article is that it was induced by turkey coma. The most realistic? The author *is* a turkey!
Herve
11/28/2010 3:20 PM
On iOS, jailbreaking is mainly used to get pirated apps. Despite all people saying that it's not only used for that. I don't know anyone who does not use it primarily for that purpose.
planetarian
11/29/2010 10:07 AM
You sir, are a complete and total idiot. That is all. This tool gives people no more power to "hack" their devices than a standard developer account. Anyone who is seriously interested in hacking the device could easily just pay the $100 for the functionality if the tool didn't exist. Lack of a free tool isn't going to stop anyone. Microsoft's application protection scheme must be broken for you to have a reason to bitch. Last I checked, it's still totally intact. Shut it, plzkthx.
zebrum
11/30/2010 8:27 AM
This is a shockingly misinformed post, you should be ashamed of yourself Michael. The factual inaccuracies aside, you should be aware that it was the iPhone jailbreak developer community that invented the app store. Apple only picked up the demand for it a year later and enabled a user friendly way to use it. If Microsoft want any advantage over the iPhone they need to embrace the people innovating rather than shut them out, and not agree with stupid people like yourself. As long as WP7 stays locked down they will never compete with the iPhone, and in fact the more they lock out the innovative developers the lest PR their platform will get.
# Michael B. McLaughlin is a dickhead
David
11/30/2010 9:57 PM
You have no idea what you're talking about.
Travis
12/1/2010 6:56 AM

...

You really are not that bright are you. And you seriously cal yourself a developer...haha. You refer to it as a thing. Is that a joke. OH MY GOD! You are an idiot and I really mean that in a literal sense that you a mentally impaired and have some form a deficiency and a lack of understanding of basic programming and what "jail breaking" REALLY is. When I heard of this article I thought it was from the Onion news. It is that stupid haha. Mate I can't wait till Darwin catches up to you and you haven't managed to pollute the gene pool by breeding or if you have already I REALLY STRONGLY hope they DO NOT take after YOU.

Go buy a clue if you know what those "things" are.
Anonymous
12/2/2010 3:40 AM
FYI, unlocking the phone was always possible and allowed by Microsoft.

It is just that previously, you need to pay $99/year subscription for developer account to unlock your phone.
Anonymous
12/2/2010 12:06 PM
You are an idiot.
Joel
12/2/2010 3:45 PM
Herve, clearly you are an idiot, or live under a rock.

Most of my friends with iPhones have them jailbroken, yet nearly all use that feature exclusively to USE THE BANDWIDTH THEY PURCHASED FROM THEIR TELECOM PROVIDERS. Frankly, most of them are too stupid to recognize Visual Basic from C++ code, let alone 'haxxorz' their phone for illegal apps. Get a clue, will ya?

I also frankly don't give a rat's ass about the TOS relating to how I have "permission" in what fashion I may use the product I purchased. For example, I purchased 3gigs per month of bandwith, and no court in Canada, Europe, or the US, will allow that bandwidth to be restricted to a platform. None, not in a million years. It is none of the carriers' business how I use said bandwidth. That'd be the equivalent of saying the gas you purchase MUST be used in the vehicle you came to gas station with. BZZT! Wrong! That's not how the law works!

Guest
12/3/2010 12:21 AM
What a fuckwit
Comments have been closed on this topic.
Bob Taco Industries is an ISV focused on game and app development for Microsoft platforms headed up by Michael B. McLaughlin. Mike is a Microsoft Visual C++ MVP (previously an XNA/DirectX MVP from 2011-2013), a developer, a writer, a consultant, and a retired lawyer. If you're a developer who is just getting started, consider checking out the BTI website's section for developers for links to code samples and other helpful sites.