posts - 80 , comments - 117 , trackbacks - 2

My Links

MJ Ferdous

Ferdous has industry level experience with SharePoint and has done several presentations and workshops on SharePoint. He also worked as SharePoint Consultant (CREDEM Italy, Robi etc) and Trainer (BASIS, JAXARA IT, LEADS Co.). He is currently working as SharePoint Architect at BrainStation-23. He also worked as Technical Project Manager for Congral LLC for managing revolutionizing Patient Centric Healthcare applications at the same company since 2009.

Before joining here, he worked for OT Group SPA and for Rockwell Automation in Italy. He is the author of several technical articles with over 49 articles published on http://mrbool.com where he is the Technical Author for the site and author of mssharepointtips.com as well. He is also founder of SharePoint Expert group. Looking for a Offshore Development or partnership.............. in any development in Dot.Net & SharePoint Platform.

invisible hit counter View My Stats

Article Categories

Image Galleries

Blogs [MVP]

My Articles

My Others Link

Public Speaking

SMTP Setup for Windows 7

How can we get SMTP to work on Windows 7 (Development Environment) as we used to just be able to turn it on for a windows XP box. Disappointed smile

SMTP isn't included in Windows 7 by default. But you can install Remote Server Administration Tools that includes SMTP Server Tools for Windows 7. It enables IT administrators to manage roles and features that are installed on remote computers that are running Windows Server 2008 R2 but it can be installed ONLY on computers that are running the Enterprise, Professional, or Ultimate editions of Windows 7.

image

First install Remote Server Administration Tools, and then upgrade to Service Pack 1 as it CANNOT BE INSTALLED on computers that are running Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (SP1).

image

Download http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7d2f6ad7-656b-4313-a005-4e344e43997d

For configuring SMTP E-mail IIS 7, please refer to: Configure SMTP E-mail (IIS 7)

Print | posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:23 PM |

# re: SMTP Setup for Windows 7

Thanks for the article. But I am unable to send email from IIS 7.0. Under the same configuration I can send mail using IIS 6.0 whereas IIS 7.0 telling "Failure Sending Mail".

Any Idea?

Thanks in advance.
3/21/2011 10:12 PM | Sultan

# re: SMTP Setup for Windows 7

First check if SMTP is running or not.
Then, Check using telnet to verify if send email works or not.
See http://geekswithblogs.net/ferdous/archive/2010/12/13/smtp-exception-550-5.7.1-unable-to-relay.aspx (How to send email using telnet )
3/22/2011 12:07 AM | Admin

procedure for configuration of SMTP server in window 7
2/4/2012 12:24 PM | saikumari

how to configure smtp server in window7 ultimate
4/19/2012 5:39 PM | siyamala

How can we get SMTP to work on Windows 7 ultimate
4/19/2012 6:44 PM | devi

problem with smtp configuration
4/30/2012 2:40 PM | anynomous

# re: SMTP Setup for Windows 7

I was able to successfully install the Remote Server Administration Tools on Win7 Ultimate with SP1 already installed.
8/13/2012 9:18 PM | Dave Black

# re: SMTP Setup for Windows 7

I've installed the Remote Administration Tools on my Win7 x64 Ultimate SP1 machine. I don't see the SMTP service. This seems to make sense though since the Remote Administration Tools would seem to allow only "remote administration" of servers which have these features installed - the tools themselves wouldn't actually install the SMTP service locally to a Win7 machine.

It looks like I'll have to use a 3rd party SMTP server.

Am I missing something?
8/13/2012 9:41 PM | Dave Black

# re: SMTP Setup for Windows 7

I installed the Remote Admin tools, and do see SMTPMail.vshost.exe *32 as a process showing up under task manager on Windows 7 (64-bit)
10/22/2012 11:48 PM | Marty Mazurik

# re: SMTP Setup for Windows 7

Dave - Look for Featured Admin Tools under Redmote Server Admin tools.. you should see SMTP tools under that.
1/18/2013 4:39 AM | Subbu

# SMTP Setup for Windows 7

Hi:

I have a module that sends out emails via SMTP port 587. This works fine on my home machine.

Bu the same code fails on my corporate laptop on which I am logged in as a user wo is part of the Administrators group.

If I do telnet smtp.1and1.com 587, I get a failure.

But I do have a profile added to my Outlook and Outlook is able to send messages using that service.

I am stumped and any advice you can give will be much appreciated.
1/31/2013 1:05 AM | Venkat Venkataramanan

# re: SMTP Setup for Windows 7

i do not see any SMTP in r AdmistativeTools -> Remote Server Adminitration tool what is the name of the services I cannot find it after instalaltion and activation in services..
5/21/2013 11:35 PM | anonym

# re: SMTP Setup for Windows 7

ASP.NET has to be installed. Go to control panel -> Turn windows features on and off -> Internet Information Services -> World Wide Web Service -> Application Development Features -> ASP.NET
6/14/2013 3:31 AM | RWLA

# re: SMTP Setup for Windows 7

I downloaded and installed this software from this link: "http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7887". then in windows features I checked "smtp server tools" as I only need IIS smtp on my windows 7 with service pack1. I've enabled ASP.NET in IIS features too. However the feature isn't installed and I can't my main software which needs this smpt server to be installed. Does administration server tools have any problem with sp1?
8/13/2013 5:23 PM | Fereshteh

# re: SMTP Setup for Windows 7

Fereshteh, that is correct. The SMTP server tools in Win 7 is for managing another computer with a Windows Server OS. This article is misleading and incorrect.
8/31/2013 1:13 AM | Stan Stare

# re: SMTP Setup for Windows 7

This post is totally incorrect and misleading.
1/24/2014 2:28 PM | Cyberninja

# re: SMTP Setup for Windows 7

This is a wast of time...

I am using Windows 7:
Download:

Install
Double click application after installed!

DONE

To check:
cmd
telnel localhost 25
3/26/2014 8:45 PM | fresh

# re: SMTP Setup for Windows 7

This article shows that the writer does not know what he is talking about, just regurgitating other stuff found on the internet. Installing the toolkit as described here is for managing a REMOTE SMTP server, not ON WINDOWS 7 !!
4/24/2014 8:08 AM | joedotnot

# re: SMTP Setup for Windows 7

can confirm, does not install any SMTP service/daemon - please OP, put a BIG FAT sign on your blogpost.

thank you....
5/30/2014 4:17 AM | perlhipster

# re: SMTP Setup for Windows 7

This article wasted my couple days trying to fifure out wht this is not working and now I can confirm that it doesnt install SMTP. Remove this article please before it waste another persons valuable time.
6/23/2014 9:36 AM | xcel

# re: SMTP Setup for Windows 7

this guy has no idea what is talking about, I wasted a couple of hours following
his steps.
this article should be deleted or marked as spam.

conclusion, there is no Microsoft SMTP server on Windows 7.Altough, there are some third party free smtp servers you can try.
7/28/2014 1:20 PM | laurentiu