D'Arcy from Winnipeg
Solution Architecture, Business & Entrepreneurship, Microsoft, and Adoption

Disabling Silverlight in IE and FF

Thursday, April 9, 2009 1:06 AM

Sometimes you want Silverlight to be disabled in your browser, mainly because you want to test out how aspects of your Silverlight app will work without the plug-in installed. Here’s how you do it in IE 8 and FF:

IE 8

Get into Internet Options via the Tools menu. Then go to the Programs tab and click the Manage Add-Ons button.

image

This will bring up the Manage Add-Ons screen.

image

You’ll notice that there’s no Silverlight add on listed. That’s because by default the filter is set to show “Currently loaded add-ons”. You need to change it to show “All add-ons”

image

FireFox

Firefox works very similar to IE, and in a way has a few less mouse clicks to accomplish the same thing.

Go to the Add-Ons menu option from the Tools menu. When the dialog comes up, select the Add-Ons icon. Scroll down to where Silverlight is listed and click “Disable” (or Enable if you’re re-enabling)

image

D

# re: Disabling Silverlight in IE and FF

Thanks a lot!! That's exactly what i was looking for ...

7/23/2009 12:38 PM | J M ...

# re: Disabling Silverlight in IE and FF

Oh I didn't think it's necessary to disable. Thanks for the tip. 5/10/2010 8:36 AM | Drain Pipe

# re: Disabling Silverlight in IE and FF

Thank you, this worked. However what good is this app if I have to turn it off in order to use the essential insert features of email? 3/3/2011 11:12 PM | SJ

# re: Disabling Silverlight in IE and FF

Thank you very much !!!!
You're the best !! 6/17/2011 8:15 AM | JS

# re: Disabling Silverlight in IE and FF

You are a life saver, I don't know much about computer!!! THANK! YOU!!
nighttimer 7/26/2011 10:15 PM | M Starkey

# re: Disabling Silverlight in IE and FF

thanks man 9/9/2011 8:46 PM | trismso

# re: Disabling Silverlight in IE and FF

Good! Thaks! that worked! 9/12/2011 10:53 PM | Abdi

# re: Disabling Silverlight in IE and FF

Thanks! it works! 10/16/2011 1:35 AM | Gec

# re: Disabling Silverlight in IE and FF

In IE options, Programs, Manage Addons,'ALL Toolbars and Extentions' I am not seeing Silverlight in the window
I have uninstalled Silverlight and installed it every time I want to watch Netflix.
It asks me to install silverlight every time!
12/1/2011 11:51 PM | Gran

# re: Disabling Silverlight in IE and FF

thanks - I hope this works. It kept locking IE and I had to keep killing IE in task manager 12/22/2011 5:16 AM | marcel