D'Arcy from Winnipeg
Solution Architecture, Business & Entrepreneurship, Microsoft, and Adoption

Installing ASP Classic on IIS 7

Sunday, August 12, 2007 3:46 PM

If you find yourself needing (because I'm not sure anyone would WANT to do this here in 2007) to work in classic ASP on a dev machine running IIS7, you have to enable/install ASP first since its not part of the package by default.

Go to Control Panel/Programs and Features, then select "Turn Windows Features On or Off".

Once you're into the Windows Features interface, navigate to Internet Information Services/World Wide Web Services/Application Development Features and check off ASP (I noticed that ASP.NET was unchecked in mine as well...which makes sense since most devs probably use the built in web server instead of IIS on their dev boxes...but feel free to enable it here if you want).

Now some people on the net have found this to be the answer to their issues...but for some reason I still can't get the .asp page to load (getting a 500 error message now)...but at least its a step in the right direction.

D

D'Arcy,

You can find more tips on using ASP on IIS7 on Bill's blog here: http://blogs.iis.net/bills/archive/2007/05/21/tips-for-classic-asp-developers-on-iis7.aspx. There are a couple gotchas you may need to be aware of for classic ASP applications on IIS7.

For tracking down the error you are getting, check out my earlier post about troubleshooting errors on IIS7: http://mvolo.com/blogs/serverside/archive/2007/07/26/Troubleshoot-IIS7-errors-like-a-pro.aspx. You should be able to get to the bottom of it pretty quickly - if not, post your error on forums.iis.net.

Good luck,

Mike 8/13/2007 9:18 AM | Mike Volodarsky

Your tips were very helpful for me. 9/17/2007 2:42 AM | Omar

Your tips were very helpful for me. 9/17/2007 2:42 AM | Omar

Hey Mike...

Did you ever get this working? I seem to be following the exact same path as you

Kartik from T.O. 5/16/2008 1:18 PM | kartik

Hi Mike,

The following site may be the answer to your problems: http://blogs.iis.net/bills/archive/2007/05/21/tips-for-classic-asp-developers-on-iis7.aspx

or not! Thanks for the info I forgot how to do this part.

Lee 6/25/2008 3:50 AM | Lee

# re: Installing ASP Classic on IIS 7

my asp is not running on iis7 and error is "The Web server is configured to not list the contents of this directory."plz help me 4/28/2010 9:40 PM | arun pratap singh

Thanks for your quick tip. 10/13/2010 6:47 AM | Nauman Ahmed

# re: Installing ASP Classic on IIS 7

thanks man.. good post.. It helped me.. but now i get the following error : "An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator" 11/1/2010 2:39 AM | Yusuf

# re: Installing ASP Classic on IIS 7

Sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability.

Thanks, that sorted asp in IIS a treat. 12/23/2010 7:22 AM | Adrian

Thanks, very useful for me 5/4/2011 9:39 PM | Sorin

Thanks A lot sir !!!! 9/25/2011 6:22 AM | Sandesh

good post

perfectly worked.

11/4/2011 9:36 AM | siva kumar

# re: Installing ASP Classic on IIS 7

after installing ASP in IIS7, HTML page is working fine. but for ASP page, error msg is appearing as :
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.

Plz help .. 11/8/2011 2:48 AM | debasish

# re: Installing ASP Classic on IIS 7

but i unable to see asp there in the check list. any to provide this solution..

thanks in advance.. 10/27/2012 8:01 PM | vipin