Emil Stoychev on async data, Bart Czernicki on VS and SLTools updates, Denislav Savkov with Part 2 of his weather control, Bill Reiss on Fiddler and SL vs Flash, Page Brooks with a Gauge Control and Polling Control, Matt Berseth with angled DataGrid column headers, and Alex Knight with a Splash screen.
I feel like a wedding planner with this one... something old, something new :) ... of course the old ones are only a few days, leftover from while I was gone. I have one more set of those unless I get a rash of submittals this evening.
Koen Zwikstra reports that as of version 22.214.171.124, SilverlightSpy now runs on x64 platforms. Read about it on his post, plus he has other enhancements coming.
The Expression Blend and Design team reported that Deep Zoom Composer Updated (Again!)... so go get the latest!
Stay in the 'Light!
- Tip: Binding and getting data async from a Web Service
- Emil Stoychev discusses the intrinsic problems with getting data asynchronously which is all we have, and a way to avoid the problems it provides... great info!
- Silverlight 2 Tools, SQL Server 2008 and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Installed & Working Together
- Bart Czernicki submitted this post on the whole Silverlight 2 tools/VS2008 SP1 issue... there's lots of these posts floating around, so take a look at Bart's if you haven't done any of this yet.
- Custom Controls: Weather control: Part 2 – The Slider
- Denislav Savkov posted the second part of his very cool Weather control... this one is all about the slider. This is another great tutorial-style post with lots of code and info... thanks Denislav!
- Fiddler is your friend for Silverlight communications debugging
- Bill Reiss has a short post discussing using Fiddler to help debug your Silverlight communication. I know I need more instruction on this, so all postings are useful :)
- Does Silverlight need to beat Flash to be successful?
- Bill also posted this interesting discussion of Silverlight vs Flash ... there's no end to this sort of blog post, but it's refreshing to have one from a Silverlight developer for a change :)
- Silverlight Gauge Control
- Page Brooks built up a gauge control based on feedback from Andrew Duthie about his treadmill controller. I didn't think of it at first, but this is quite similar to what I used in my Color Picker Utility, except that was in Silverlight 1.0 and a bunch of JS. This is pretty cool, Page!
- A Customizable Silverlight Star Selector Control
- Page also posted a 'rating' system using Silverlight.... I've been toying with the idea of putting a rating thingy (sorry -- technical term) on my articles, this might tip me over to do so!
- Angled Column Headers with Silverlight 2's DataGrid
- Matt Berseth did a seriously cool thing and tilted the column headers of a SL DataGrid at 45 degrees to conserve space ... I like this a lot... go take a look!
- Splash screen/loader for Silverlight appz
- Alex Knight posted information on how to setup a 'loading' app for your Silverlight ... the spinning/dancing/whatever is all yours to create, but Alex shows you how to get it onto the page
Twitter SLNews | Join me @ SilverlightCream | SL Web Articles | SL2 Web Articles | My Articles | My Tutorials | My Tooltips | My SL2 Articles | My SL2 ToolTips | SilverlightCream
posted @ Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:46 PM