Waclaw Chrabaszcz
... there is no spoon ...

SCCM2012 R2 – How to integrate MDT with SCCM

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:36 PM

There are two maybe not competitive but parallel products: Microsoft Deployment Toolkit and System Center Configuration manager. Few years ago I was wondering why they are separate, I why I cannot share Task Sequences between them. And how it usually happens in live, when I was focused on other technologies, MDT and SCCM became best friends.

Let's integrate MDT with SCCM:

1. If first step you need to download MDT http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25175
  2. Install MDT on your SCCM server box

accept the EULA

Join CEIP if you like

3. Once you completed the installation I would recommend you to complete MDT configuring before integration with the SCCM. Start the Deployment Workbench

install updates

you will need to download and install WAIK

create new deployment share

leave default values

4. Create MDT database

Make sure you will create separate database, DO NOT use existing SCCM DB

5. Now we are ready to integrate MDT with SCCM

the Integration tool should discover your server automatically

After reopening SCCM console in task sequences you should have new cool features:

How to use them? That's another story …

# re: SCCM2012 R2 – How to integrate MDT with SCCM

Got this working on the server, but how do you enable the additional features on remote installations of the console? I copied the DLLs across but it still errors? 2/11/2014 1:51 AM | Nico

# re: SCCM2012 R2 – How to integrate MDT with SCCM

Nico, you must install MDT integration for remote console computer also. 2/25/2014 8:08 AM | Jere

# re: SCCM2012 R2 – How to integrate MDT with SCCM

Jere, thanks for help! My apologies I've been very busy with my real project in real live :(. I'm glad that i can post something intresting for you Nico. 3/15/2014 7:15 AM | wchrabaszcz

Thank you.
Work like a charm here :) 3/27/2014 3:38 PM | Daniel

Hi!
If I have CAS and 2 Primary sites, where should I install MDT? And where should I integrate it? If I run console only on CAS? And what if I run console on one of my Primary servers? 4/17/2014 4:53 AM | Max

Hi Max,
For sure you will need to install MDT on each site (CAS and both Primary) I'm not sure whether MDT database replication will be required or helpful. At this point of time i have not enought time to focus on SCCM, in the menatime test, test and test it. My current point of view (withot practical confirmation) is MDT is requre on each site to understand extended taks sequences, MDT database replication is not required as long as you manage everything from CAS console. Please let me know about your results, if you'll be faster then me ;) 4/19/2014 4:31 PM | wch

Hi
i have SCCM 2012R2 up and running and wanted to integrate it with MDT 2013.
Just out of curiosity, do we really need to download and install WAIK for MDT 2013? what is the benefit of having it? i can see under MDT Components the status: Required.
thanks, Matt 6/18/2014 11:38 AM | matt

What about package mapping? 8/6/2014 4:25 AM | François Racine

# re: SCCM2012 R2 – How to integrate MDT with SCCM

I have followed your instructions to the "T" when I get to the integrate MDT with SCCM it fails can you please provided some assistance I have included the error below. Thanks Morris

Copied binaries for ConfigMgr 2012 to C:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminConsole\\Bin
Copied extension files for ConfigMgr 2012 to C:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminConsole\\XmlStorage\Extensions
Successfully connected to WMI namespace \\SCCM-VM.AHCCS-student.com\root\sms
Located the provider for site PS1 on server SCCM-VM.AHCCS-student.com
Validated site server and site code.
Unhandled exception: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Bin\Microsoft.BDD.SCCMActions.mof'.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding)
at System.IO.File.WriteAllText(String path, String contents, Encoding encoding)
at Microsoft.BDD.Wizards.SCCM_ConfigureRemove.CompileActionsMOF(StringBuilder& output, Int32& errorCount, Int32& warningCount)
at Microsoft.BDD.Wizards.SCCM_ConfigureRemove.ApplyChanges(String& errorMessage)

Operation completed with warnings or errors. Please review the output above.
9/25/2014 12:39 AM | Morris Hendricks

Hello Morris.
Please make sure that SCCM Admin console is NOT open during the integration. It should be closed. 9/27/2014 11:50 AM | wchrabaszcz

# re: SCCM2012 R2 – How to integrate MDT with SCCM

you can read about MDT deployment on http://geekswithblogs.net/Wchrabaszcz/archive/2014/10/01/sccm-2012-r2-and-mdt--mdt-task-sequence.aspx 10/25/2014 11:47 AM | wchrabaszcz

# re: SCCM2012 R2 – How to integrate MDT with SCCM

In my lab environment, I have created reference image using MDT 2013 tool. I am trying to deploy the captured image to my test machine(VDI)using SCCM. Is it possible?

Please note: SCCM and MDT are not integrated in my environment. 3/19/2015 8:15 AM | H.G

# re: SCCM2012 R2 – How to integrate MDT with SCCM

Hi, Thanks for the excellent post.

Please note: SCCM and MDT are not integrated in my environment. 3/19/2015 8:16 AM | H.G

# re: SCCM2012 R2 – How to integrate MDT with SCCM

Sure, it is an old school from SMS 2003 times. You need to respect few rules. For sure you can import WIM or build a reference computer using MDT and later capture it using SCCM capture media (you can generate it from task sequences right click). If you want to import full MDT task sequence - to build MDT machines on the fly, it might be difficult. In this case you will have to follow all integration steps to nest MDT task sequence in SCCM. Going back to WIM. You can import WIM file captured by imageX (take a look on my post how to convert VHD into WIM. But please keep in mind, that you should sysprep this machine before capturing.

Useful links:
3/23/2015 7:36 PM | wchrabaszcz

# re: SCCM2012 R2 – How to integrate MDT with SCCM

Hi, I have SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 running in a hierarchy with a CAS and 4 Primaries.
The MDT server are a remote Distribution Point.
Still i need install MDT on primaries and CAS or i can just run the ConfigMgr Integration on the MDT Server ? 3/2/2017 8:21 PM | Daniel Sergio