Tim Huffam

Dotting the I and crossing the T of I.T.

Home  |   Contact  |   Syndication    |   Login
  153 Posts | 0 Stories | 2747 Comments | 653 Trackbacks

Interesting Blogs/Links

If you need to find a username but only have an ip address, if you use active directory (AD) then you can use the following method to find out the username:

1. At the command prompt enter the following command:
    nbtstat –a ipaddress
    Where ipaddress is the ip address.
    This will list the machine name using that ip address.
  2. Then run the following command:
    net view /domain:ad > somefile.txt
    Where ad is the name of the domain you want to search and somefile.txt is the name of the file to contain the output.
    This will generate a list of every machine and who is logged in.
  3. Open the output file and search for the machine name determined in step 1 (the username will be listed next to this).

HTH

Tim

posted on Wednesday, May 3, 2006 8:30 AM

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 2/17/2007 10:45 AM sandesh
i want

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 5/23/2008 6:56 PM Windows
Good One!!!!

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 6/20/2008 5:18 AM steve brown
didn't work for me.

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 6/26/2008 2:13 AM ARCHANA
This din't work for me.............................

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 7/24/2008 8:07 PM Roby
good one

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 9/11/2008 5:36 AM omhoge
at least for the machine name We used nslookup and could find the machine name from the IP address.

hope that helps the next person who stumbles onto this thread.

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 2/18/2009 4:53 AM Hal
Great little trick. I lost track of a computer on the network. Thanks!

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 5/19/2009 7:17 PM Dev Banerjee
Hoiw can I get the list of machines who are using IP address, Basically I want to capture those data / machines who are not using common proxy address which has been given by the organization.

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 6/8/2009 3:31 AM Daniel
Thanks man. this works. u solved my problem :)

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 8/5/2009 7:23 AM Darkesyde
THIS did exactly what I needed Many Thanks

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 8/17/2009 8:32 AM Lee Levesque
This only game me the Machine name not the user loged into the machine.

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 9/15/2009 9:47 AM scottwild
Same here - computer name only.

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 12/2/2009 10:28 AM bp
very helpful. Thanks.

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 2/25/2010 12:07 AM Bassel Kh
I couldn't see any information regarding the user<-->IP
Getting the machine name from the IP or vise virsa is OK.

But how to know who is currently logged in to a specific IP?

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 3/24/2010 11:19 AM Jen
didn't work for me!

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 4/2/2010 11:22 PM Rajinder Singh
how to look up ip through name and name through ip

# This does not work to get user 6/22/2010 12:34 PM doesnt work
this doesnt work to get username

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 7/16/2010 10:16 AM Asit
didnt work for me as well.

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 1/21/2011 6:08 AM Bala
Thanks lot. It helps me lot.

A minor correction in the syntax. change the small a to capital A

nbtstat –A ipaddress

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 4/21/2011 6:03 AM Sulakshana
How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 5/11/2011 3:27 PM Dusty Colvard
You could use ping -a <ip address> to get the machine name and then do the other trick
net view /domain:ad > somefile.txt

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 5/18/2011 7:19 AM Awais Bukhari
Wao00 dats gr8 thanks buddy...:))

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 7/7/2011 4:37 AM bg
ping -a ipaddress

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 7/12/2011 4:15 PM Dan K
This is what I have always used...

nslookup ipaddress

# GOOD 7/21/2011 4:11 AM black bridesmaid dresses
Only after seeing all the designs that you will be able to make the final decision,

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 9/1/2011 2:46 AM danutts
where is the output file located?
Thanks!

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 9/29/2011 10:45 AM Marc S
Save yourself some work. Instead of outputting to a file, pipe the results to the FIND command:

net view /domain:my_domain_name | find /i "\\target_pc_name"

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 9/29/2011 10:48 AM Marc S
By the way, someone has SQL injected a new website link into all of the comments on this post through 7/21/2011.

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 10/11/2011 3:43 AM Fazle Elahi Payel

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 10/26/2011 5:18 AM all best messages
Easy to obtain useful information and share good things with good ideas and concepts.

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 11/27/2011 10:58 PM Hardin
Nice one.thank u..

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 11/28/2011 10:59 AM lyle sheftel
need help how to do find name of user from IP address.

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 12/14/2011 12:35 AM Divya
Very Helpful.......thanks

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 12/14/2011 4:56 AM penchal rao
U r given command not worked
I want to show from ip address to computer name

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 12/18/2011 1:04 AM Vietnam Air
Very nicely written post it contains useful information for me. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post.

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 12/28/2011 5:28 AM birthday tweets
Classful network formatting allowed for a larger tally of individual network mission and fine-grained subnetwork design. The first three bits of the pack significant octet of an IP address were defined as the policies of the address.

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 12/28/2011 11:51 PM Cheap Celine Dion Tickets
Circus

The Cirque du Soleil generation is absolutely incredible. You will be experiencing a road efficiency and then swap to an firefox efficiency. Acrobats, synchronized bathers, plusieurs and people execute in, on, and above water to create an remarkable show

# Facebook Hacking 1/21/2012 2:29 PM Gaurav
Hello friends

someone hack my Facebook profile on 19/1/2012 and do's an unfogetable things with my friends

but thanks to god I have updated my recovery email address

I get my profile back from that mother fucker but i want to know that who was he actually

when i recover my Facebook profile I got an Email from Gmail in which I found some information

that hacker logged on cell phone his IP address is 220.227.41.243
from google.co.in i got this Ip is from Jalandhar, PB, IN

but I want to get him/her email address..

So, Please help me friends

Don't forget that one day someone will do this same with your profiles too

I hope to get some help from here

If, someone get's him/her please let me know on my working E-mail guardutt@gmail.com

Regards
Gaurav Dutt
Victim

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 5/23/2012 2:55 AM RUDRA
good bt not working... plz give me another solution.

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 5/28/2012 9:22 AM Gloria
Hello...
Can you please tell me step by step how can i find whose pc is with ip adress only... can u describe it step by step because i am not very well in pc program...

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 6/27/2012 8:04 AM sheshoo
IP FIND UP

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 9/24/2012 5:53 AM funnystatusmessages
i also want to know that kind of information i.p addresses how they operate with this

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 11/14/2012 11:54 PM bestsmsmessages
Me also know about the IP address, so Please tell me about this info...

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 11/29/2012 5:33 PM newbie
what's exactly means somefile.txt? where can i find this output file

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 12/6/2012 2:55 AM mohsin ali
182.178.102.142 DSLAM Infrastructure North Pakistan
how i can find or you help me to find user name please as some one is trying to hack my id again and again from this ip
awtg
rgds

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 12/17/2012 10:40 PM Best crossbow
Very adequately printed post it encloses helpful information for everybody. I am happy to locate your illustrious way of symbols the post.

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 12/18/2012 5:41 AM love pictures
using for i.p addresses is very unique thing to do

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 1/19/2013 2:44 AM susheel
it work and very good

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 2/4/2013 1:13 PM anusha
my account is locked from this ip address 14.96.124.29 , i want to know the details of this ip address

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 2/18/2013 1:01 AM rajendra
hacked my facebook Password

# re: How to lookup a user name and machine name using an IP address (on windows) 2/18/2013 4:00 AM venkatesh
Using command : nbtstat -a <ipaddress>
this command will give you machine name and mac address