What Was I Thinking?

Follies & Foils of .NET Development
posts - 85 , comments - 251 , trackbacks - 0

Solved: YouTube Videos Lock Up (Adobe Flash Player Crashes)

This has nothing to do with .Net development, but I’m sure others are running into this problem, so I thought I’d write a quick post about it.

After updating my Windows PC to Adobe Flash Player 10.1, whenever I attempt to view YouTube videos (either through IE or Chrome), I get a green background and no video, some audio, and then my browser locks up.

Turns out to be an issue with Adobe’s hardware acceleration feature (new to version 10).  To disable hardware acceleration, you need to modify a setting in the flash player itself, by right-clicking the video, selecting settings and then uncheck “Use Hardware acceleration”.

I COULD NOT DO ON YOUTUBE WITHOUT IT LOCKING UP MY BROWSER.

Here’s my solution,

1. Visit the FlashPlayer Test page at: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/.
  2. Install the flash player if you have not already done so.
  3. When the flash video plays, right click on the video, select Settings from the context menu and uncheck the “Use Hardware Acceleration” option.  The settings seem to “stick” between sessions, so you should be all set.
  4. Browse to Youtube and click on a video.
  5. Enjoy!

Print | posted on Saturday, September 18, 2010 10:37 AM | Filed Under [ General Geekiness ]

# re: Solved: YouTube Videos Lock Up (Adobe Flash Player Crashes)

I was having a heck of a problem with crashing with firefox. It was almost impossible to view much without a crash for a while. Then, there was an update for firefox, flash, or both. Just recently it seems to be stable now. If it does it again or in the near future I will try turning off hardware acceleration to see if it helps. Thanks for the tip.
9/19/2010 12:51 AM | boonex

# re: Solved: YouTube Videos Lock Up (Adobe Flash Player Crashes)

This really isn't a fix... the only fix that works for me is to uninstall Adobe Flashplayer 10 and reinstall Adobe Flashplayer 9.
Uninstall Flash: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Reinstall Adobe Flash 9:

If you see the specs of Adobe Flashplayer 10 it doesn't support Firefox/IE. unbelievable.
12/28/2010 9:26 PM | tope33

# re: Solved: YouTube Videos Lock Up (Adobe Flash Player Crashes)

Hey, Thanks a bunch for posting this message, is 4 AM and your fix finally cured my Youtube video doesnt play. Wow i have been searching for like 3 months for a fix. It worked for me.
5/9/2011 6:13 AM | Gene Jackson

# re: Solved: YouTube Videos Lock Up (Adobe Flash Player Crashes)

he cant play videos on youtube adobe does not installing
7/1/2011 2:38 AM | brahvi

# re: Solved: YouTube Videos Lock Up (Adobe Flash Player Crashes)

I finally tried it uninstalled Abode Flash Player 10.1 and reinstalled Abode Flash Player 10.3 unchecked "Use Hardware Acceleration". That solution worked for me.
7/28/2011 11:18 PM | Forrest

# re: Solved: YouTube Videos Lock Up (Adobe Flash Player Crashes)

Thanks soooo much. Months of searching and I found your posts. I lowered my Hardware Accelerator, Uninstalled Flash 10.3 and installed Flash 9. So far everything is working again.

Many thanks!
9/5/2011 10:04 PM | Melissa

# re: Solved: YouTube Videos Lock Up (Adobe Flash Player Crashes)

Well done mate. I have been searching for the last 2 - 3 hours over the past few days to resolve this. One minute it was working then it was not and it because of the hardware acceleration was ticked!!!! Thanks again ;-)
9/7/2011 6:37 PM | Steven

# re: Solved: YouTube Videos Lock Up (Adobe Flash Player Crashes)

ik vind youtube heel leuk
10/11/2011 9:55 AM | Ebrar

# re: Solved: YouTube Videos Lock Up (Adobe Flash Player Crashes)

My player crashes when I upload a game
11/2/2011 12:27 AM | Madhavi Goswami

# re: Solved: YouTube Videos Lock Up (Adobe Flash Player Crashes)

I found that it was trying to access "tpc.googlesyndication.com" as it hung, so I just added

127.0.0.1 tpc.googlesyndication.com

to my HOSTS file. It works and I maintain hardware acceleration. Plus I really don't like Google so for me this is a case of two birds.
4/10/2012 12:52 AM | Adam Laughlin

# re: Solved: YouTube Videos Lock Up (Adobe Flash Player Crashes)

Finally, the solution! I'd been hoping for a solution that was this simple! Weeks of Googling on this produced nothing until now.

FYI, the FlashPlayer test page didn't work for me because the video ends too quickly, and is hidden, causing the settings page to disappear before I can uncheck the setting. Instead, I went to Google Maps' street view, which also uses Flash Player without crashing my browser.
5/21/2012 1:21 PM | Tom M

# re: Solved: YouTube Videos Lock Up (Adobe Flash Player Crashes)

i do not like this website. Thanks for show
7/11/2012 12:28 AM | Rehan Mughal

# re: Solved: YouTube Videos Lock Up (Adobe Flash Player Crashes)

THANK YOU! couldn't do the fix from the right-click on youtube before the program froze. this allowed me to get in and kill the little gremlin.

again...many thanks.
7/13/2012 11:38 PM | rg

Thanks! It worked.
7/27/2012 9:05 AM | Mike

# re: Solved: YouTube Videos Lock Up (Adobe Flash Player Crashes)

Soooo many posts around the net saying "do this", "do that", "no, don't do that shit, do this instead". I have tried at least ten solutions, none have worked...until now.

Unchecked hardware acceleration and BOOM, everything works again! Fuck Adobe and their fucking Flash...but at least I can finally watch Youtube videos again...
12/18/2012 11:45 AM | Daige

# re: Solved: YouTube Videos Lock Up (Adobe Flash Player Crashes)

Dear Daige, your solution worked for me. Very correct solution for fucking problem. Congrates and thank you.
1/4/2013 8:52 AM | Mohammed Rafi

# re: Solved: YouTube Videos Lock Up (Adobe Flash Player Crashes)

I keep updating, as little as three days ago, but again I get that ridiculous message. What's going on? I have to empty the cache just to be able to view youtube again.
3/22/2013 4:49 PM | J Pearson

# re: Solved: YouTube Videos Lock Up (Adobe Flash Player Crashes)

Thanks so much it worked I was about to go insane!!!!
5/6/2013 10:23 AM | matt

THANK YOU!!
This worked for my problem. My son was scared to death he had gotten a virus.

:D
6/23/2013 1:17 AM | Abby

# re: Solved: YouTube Videos Lock Up (Adobe Flash Player Crashes)

my video is that not work is automatic crash my site and is all close video knw plz tell me what i do and my laptop speed is also very slow
6/23/2013 3:20 PM | seeman samuel

# re: Solved: YouTube Videos Lock Up (Adobe Flash Player Crashes)

I can't possibly thank you enough for this simple fix to such a frustrating problem.
7/22/2013 4:14 PM | lucas