Finally a follow-up to my original post! With more detailed instructions! I would like to note that a lot of the functionality of a Virtual Machine is not currently working, at least I have not figured it out... however it is functional!
What doesn't work:
- Seamless Mouse Integration
- Video Drivers - Still can get video just is not detecting my Wide Screen
1. Download Windows 8 from the Windows Dev Center http://dev.windows.com (Download Page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516)
1.1. I downloaded the Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64) you are welcome to download any other version however that is what I wrote this guide for.
2. Download and install VirtualBox if you do not have it
3. Open VirtualBox
4. Click New
5. Click Next
6. Type a Name for the Virtual Machine (IE: Windows 8 64-bit)
7. Select Operating System: Microsoft Windows
8. Select Version: Windows 7 (64 bit)
9. Click Next and select however much ram you want to give the machine (IE: 1024 MB)
10. Select Create new hard disk, Click Next
11. Select VHD, Click Next
12. Select Dynamically allocated, Click Next
13. Select a location to save it to and select a maximum size of the disk (IE: 40 GB), Click Next
14. Click Create
15. Click Create
16. Select the newly created VM and click Settings at the top
17. Click System
18. Check the box for Enable IO APIC
19. Click Network
20. Click Advanced and select Adapter Type: Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM)
21. Click Audio and select Audio Controller: Intel HD Audio
22. Click OK
23. Click Start
24. On the First Run Wizard click Next
25. For Media Source select the ISO you downloaded from the Windows Dev Center, Click Next and Click Start
26. When the media boots click Next
27. Click Install Now
28. Read the License agreement and agree to it (HAHA), Click Next
29. Select Custom and click Drive options, Click New, click Apply and click OK
30. Click Install
31. Once the Installer finishes follow the on-screen steps and then follow the Installing additional driver steps below.
Installing Additional Drivers:
1. With the VM Initially configured and logged in as an Administrator click Devices on the Oracale VM VirtualBox window.
2. In the Virtual OS go to Computer, and D drive (or whatever drive the ISO for VirtualBox Guest Additions is mounted to) by right clicking and clicking Open
3. Right click VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe and click Properties
4. Click the Compatibility tab
5. Check Run this program in compatibility mode for: and select Windows 7
6. Check run this program as an Administrator, Click OK
7. Run the installer and click Install for all the unsigned driver prompts.
8. Congratulations you are done! Make sure you increase your resolution greater than 1024x768 for the Virtual OS for the Metro Apps to work.