After getting the cube to successfully deploy and process on Friday, I was baffled on Monday that the newly added dimension caused the cube processing to break.  I then followed the first instinct, discarded all my changes to reverted back to the version on Friday, and had no luck.  The error message (attached below) did not help as I was looking for some kind of SQL service error.  After examining the windows server log and the SQL server log, I just couldn't see anything wrong with it.

After swearing for some time, and with the help of going off and working on something else for a while.  I came back to the solution and looked at the data source.  Even though I know I have never changed the provider (the default setup gave me SQL native client), I decided to change it and give OLE DB a try.

This simple change allows my cube to process successfully again.  While I don't understand why the same settings that worked last week doesn't work this week, I don't have all the information to say with certainty that nothing has changed in the environment (firewall changes, server updates, etc.).

SSAS processing error:

<Batch xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2003/engine">
  <Parallel>
    <Process xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:ddl2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2003/engine/2" xmlns:ddl2_2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2003/engine/2/2" xmlns:ddl100_100="http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2008/engine/100/100" xmlns:ddl200="http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2010/engine/200" xmlns:ddl200_200="http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2010/engine/200/200">
      <Object>
        <DatabaseID>DWH Sales Facts</DatabaseID>
        <CubeID>DWH Sales Facts</CubeID>
      </Object>
      <Type>ProcessFull</Type>
      <WriteBackTableCreation>UseExisting</WriteBackTableCreation>
    </Process>
  </Parallel>
</Batch>
                Processing Dimension 'Date' completed.

Errors and Warnings from Response
                OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.; 08001; Client unable to establish connection; 08001; Encryption not supported on the client.; 08001.
                Errors in the high-level relational engine. A connection could not be made to the data source with the DataSourceID of 'DWH Sales Facts', Name of 'DWH Sales Facts'.
                Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while the dimension, with the ID of 'Currency', Name of 'Currency' was being processed.
                Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while the 'Currency Dim ID' attribute of the 'Currency' dimension from the 'DWH Sales Facts' database was being processed.
                Internal error: The operation terminated unsuccessfully.
                Server: The operation has been cancelled.

Print | posted on Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:09 PM

# re: SSAS processing error: Client unable to establish connection; 08001; Encryption not supported on the client.; 08001

Left by Shawn at 10/25/2012 6:51 AM
Gravatar You have got to be kidding me. I wasted a day troubleshooting this stupid, stupid, stupid error. I even restarted a project and just didn't catch this.

Thanks - I can stop swearing now.

Left by Michael at 1/11/2013 3:51 PM
Gravatar Thanks, this was exactly what I needed. Switching to the OLE DB provider worked great.

Left by Skye at 3/7/2013 8:54 PM
Gravatar I tried this with one of our students who ran across the same error. It worked perfectly!

Left by Kevin at 3/12/2013 1:57 PM
Gravatar Thanks for the details! Saved me some time. This also works for correcting Tabular SSAS connections. The connection is cached however, so you may need to close and reopen your project after making the change to make them effective for and tables you source from the connection.

Left by Efi at 3/16/2013 2:50 PM
Gravatar Thanks a lot, really helped!!!

Left by Manju at 4/24/2013 11:27 PM
Gravatar this worked :) It would be very helpful if you even provide the reason for this change to OLE DB Provider from Native

Left by Smurph at 6/16/2013 11:02 PM
Gravatar After lots of swearing and an argument with the most annoying DBA in history (arent) this has been my savior!

Our issue was moving a cube from Dev into Prod. Does this mean that the Native Client Driver is not correct in our Test env?

Left by Kevin Lewis at 6/27/2013 8:15 AM
Gravatar This also worked same here. I had to alter the data source on a live package and it immediately started failing. I tried resetting it to what it was and it still failed.

When switching to the OLE DB Provider everything then started working.

It was deployed with having the SQL Native Client as the provider, so don't get why everything went sour when it was edited.

This blog certainly helped me out, thanks!

Left by Danny at 7/15/2013 12:14 PM
Gravatar you saved my life. thank you!

Left by Engin Deniz at 7/17/2013 8:46 AM
Gravatar Thanks.
It's really hard to think problem cause of that reason.

Left by Prasad Paranjpe at 7/18/2013 7:50 PM
Gravatar Thanks! This did the trick for me.
But I don't understand the implications.
I tried going back to SQL Native Client 11 and that does not work.
I would feel more comfortable if I understood the root cause.

Left by Prasad Paranjpe at 7/18/2013 7:59 PM
Gravatar Update: I also checked John Socha-Leialoha's Blog.
As per his suggestion I simply restarted the SSAS instance Service and that worked as well.

In the words of Emily Litella, "Never Mind".
it's all working without any changes to the connections.

Left by Yogesh at 7/31/2013 3:25 PM
Gravatar This solution worked for me.
I completely don't understand the reason behind it, since I was facing the issue only in a new server instance.

Anyways, Thank You.

Left by Endy at 8/9/2013 1:37 PM
Gravatar wow worked for me too. Thanks!

Left by Sorna at 8/29/2013 9:39 AM
Gravatar Thanks a lot for sharing this info. This saved our day

Left by Joe at 9/4/2013 6:06 PM
Gravatar Man, I owe you one! One minute my data sources worked...the next they didn't until I changed them from Native to OLEDB. Why?!?!

Left by yorkamos at 12/6/2013 9:16 PM
Gravatar You saved my life...

Left by NN0102 at 12/11/2013 5:15 AM
Gravatar Great Job.Saved me hours of frustration..!! :)

Left by Krizz at 1/31/2014 11:37 AM
Gravatar You saved my day for the 2nd time now (on the same enviroment)

Left by newbie at 2/26/2014 5:25 PM
Gravatar Thanks alot this saved my day

Left by Sujan at 3/4/2014 12:52 AM
Gravatar Thanks!!

Worked for me too....
Analysise services is so unpredictable!

Left by Saki at 3/11/2014 7:05 AM
Gravatar Over 2 years after this article was created and still very useful! Spent the whole day dealing with this issue until ssas presented a different error code....pop it into google...click first result and 5 minutes later.... Result! Well done!!

Left by Roland at 7/31/2014 11:10 AM
Gravatar Resolved my issue as well on a SQL 2014 Tabular instance. I first changed my connections from native client to OLEDB. I was able to process the tables again.

I then proceeded to restart the tabular instance and reverted back to Native Client. I was able to still process the tables without these criptic errors.

WooHoo!

Left by dreamer at 9/10/2014 5:26 PM
Gravatar And they said oledb will disappear.
I was struggling a while until I found this page while googline. thanks for the solution

I Cannot understand why it was working before and not now ?
Are the Native Client dlls got corrupt ?
If any one has the answer Just Answer it ...

Left by jobira at 3/22/2015 10:13 AM
Gravatar I can't thank you enough for saving me tune and headache of this silly error. I kept searching, but yours solved my issue.

On another note,since we are still on subject of ssas, do you know why ssars says unsupported format when trying to deploy cubes? I am getting this error even when trying to deploy the adventureworks samples

Thanks

Left by RK at 5/4/2015 10:23 AM
Gravatar Thank you so much, After looking and changing so many options, Changing to OLE DB providers works fine.

Left by Endrju at 6/24/2015 5:10 AM
Gravatar Yeah here it worked, too :-) What a stupid thing...

Left by Mahesh at 7/15/2015 2:43 PM
Gravatar Thank you so much... wasted about an hour trying to figure this one out.

Left by Abera at 8/14/2015 8:24 AM
Gravatar Thanks a lot for posting this important trick. It worked for me too.

Left by Utagawa at 8/20/2015 9:11 AM
Gravatar Thank You !!!!

Left by Sandesh Daddi at 10/8/2015 5:37 AM
Gravatar Yes, this worked. Great solution, but didn't get how it is working.

Left by Edgar at 11/5/2015 4:53 AM
Gravatar Yes, it worked! I had this problem with Tabular, but changing the provider to oledb fixed it for me too. Thanks!

Left by Pradeep at 1/19/2016 12:39 PM
Gravatar Thank you, i was almost ready to start new project, this worked well

Left by Richard at 1/20/2016 10:57 AM
Gravatar Big thank you for saving my bacon!!!

Left by Jason Aranha at 1/20/2016 7:26 PM
Gravatar i am trying to kill myself today .

i tried everything regarding permission . this helped thanks a Lot.

Left by Tamati at 5/10/2016 5:03 PM
Gravatar Awesome!! This worked for me. Saved me a couple hours of re-building my project. Thanks

Left by Zoe at 6/16/2016 3:06 PM
Gravatar Thank you so much for posting this! Fixed the issue that started up yesterday on my tabulars.

Left by Philip at 8/17/2016 8:16 AM
Gravatar you sir - saved my life today. thanks a lot !

Left by Kumar at 8/23/2016 4:32 AM
Gravatar This solution helped. Thanks for posting it.

Left by Andrew at 1/12/2017 4:36 PM
Gravatar Does this still work if only using TLS1.2?

Left by Harb at 3/23/2017 3:39 PM
Gravatar try restarting the SSAS instance, this did the trick for us

Left by liyasker at 10/24/2017 3:12 AM
Gravatar Thanks ! It was a great Help. I was doing the reverse engineering for a while to edit the existing solution.

Left by Breezy at 1/15/2018 6:47 PM
Gravatar SSAS is the devil. That being said, you saved me a lot of time - thanks for the article!

Your comment: