Our TFS instance had been humming along for some time when I noticed that the full and incremental cube refresh jobs started failing. Using Grant Holiday’s “Team Foundation Server 2010 Administrative Report Pack” I was able to better visualize and diagnose the problem.
The full error message was -
OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Login timeout expired; HYT00; A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.; 08001; SQL Server Network Interfaces: Error getting enabled protocols list from registry [xFFFFFFFF]. ; 08001.
Errors in the high-level relational engine. A connection could not be made to the data source with the DataSourceID of 'Tfs_AnalysisDataSource', Name of 'Tfs_AnalysisDataSource'.
I had been using the TfsService domain account to run the TFS DB Analysis service, but after looking at John Socha-Leialoha's Blog on Fixing Cube Processing ODBC Errors, I decided to:
- Change the service account for the Analysis Services to Local System
- Manually invoked a full refresh*
That fixed the problem! The full and incremental refresh jobs then started working again. The only thing is that I have no explanation for why the problem suddenly appeared.
* see the post Accentient - Manually Processing the Team Foundation Server 2010 Data Warehouse and Analysis Services Database