Posts
415
Comments
232
Trackbacks
VS2008 Express Edition - You Get What You Pay For

I no longer work for a company that readily supplies me with MSDN software so I have to get Visual Studio for myself this time around.  To that end I figured I would investigate the Express Edition.

The first thing I noticed is the separation of project types.  You can only do Windows or Web applications.  You can't do both.  I was wondering if the "search online templates" in the Create Project dialog might give some more options, but this lead to nowhere.

The next step I am looking at is if you can install multiple express editions at one time.  I wouldn't blame Microsoft if they blocked doing this.  Considering Express is free  and having two versions would give you more of the functionality of standard they would want to get paid for their work.  I'll post again once I am done downloading the DVD ISO and attempt the installation.

posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 10:55 PM Print
Comments
# re: VS2008 Express Edition - You Get What You Pay For
Steve Clements
12/1/2007 2:08 AM
I dont agree with the incredible price that MS put on this product. You can download NetBeans IDE for Java from Sun, for free and develop all type of Java applications...there are lots of plugins like UML, which you can create all your UML diagrams and generate code from it.
Dont get me wrong, I would rather write C# in VS all day long but Java is pretty popular right!? They must be doing something right.
# re: VS2008 Express Edition - You Get What You Pay For
Lorin Thwaits
12/1/2007 3:49 AM
You can install as many versions of the Express Edition as you want. The only thing I find really lacking is with the C++ version, where you can't (officially) do MFC or ATL. But if you're primarily into .NET, then what a sweet thing VS Express is!

-Lorin
# re: VS2008 Express Edition - You Get What You Pay For
nikhil
12/7/2007 1:49 AM
hey can any one tell me what are the limitations of the free express editions...is it we can work on one language only.?
# re: VS2008 Express Edition - You Get What You Pay For
Tim Murphy
12/11/2007 8:22 AM
You are able to choose C# or VB when you add an object to a web project. I would assume the SQL Server edition is the same, but the ones specifically named for a language limit you to that language.
# re: VS2008 Express Edition - You Get What You Pay For
Tim Murphy
12/11/2007 8:22 AM
# re: VS2008 Express Edition - You Get What You Pay For
shurcooL
4/9/2008 5:42 PM
Yes, you can install multiple express editions at the same time. And I think you get A LOT more than what you pay for with VC2008 EE, as it's a pretty good IDE and compiler (I use C++ mainly). None of the other free alternatives I've found were equally liked by me.
# re: VS2008 Express Edition - You Get What You Pay For
Rave
11/1/2008 6:37 AM
Not included VSTools. Not SQLMetal for LINQ apps

Title *
Name *
Comment *

Tim Murphy

Tim is a Solutions Architect for PSC Group, LLC. He has been an IT consultant since 1999 specializing in Microsoft technologies. Along with running the Chicago Information Technology Architects Group and speaking on Microsoft and architecture topics he was also contributing author on "The Definitive Guide to the Microsoft Enterprise Library".

I review for the O'Reilly Blogger Review Program