Well, the install is complete. Once I got the correct permissions and the access to the correct software, it went pretty smoothly. However, I did run into one issue. During the install I got a 32000 error referring to the STS_CONFIG_TFS database being accessed by stsadm.exe. The exe was being used to configure the Sharepoint database, and was having trouble. I verified that all the pieces/parts existed and made sure the user account for setup was properly configured. All this was fine, so I changed my install process. Instead of the "silent" install for Sharepoint services, I did the manual one EXACTLY as listed in the install guide. You must NOT configure anything in Sharepoint during the install; as soon as the browser with the options appears, close it. There is a switch in the silent process that should prevent any configuration, but something must be configured anyway.
Another gotcha I've read about is that FrontPage Extensions may cause you grief, even after removing them. Some people have had to wipe and an reinstall their server to get it to work. Thankfully, I've not had that problem.
I did feel the troubleshooting available for the install was pretty weak overall, and it would be great to have some common errors listed for you.
If you do run into problems, you might find some help in the forums . Good luck.