Tim Hibbard

Article Categories

Image Galleries

EnGraph Blogs

Links

Other

Roll

I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

I get an email every couple of weeks from somebody that has found Where's Tim and wants me to help find their lost cell phone. I always reply nicely and tell them that it is not possible to track a random phone via GPS based on it's number or ESN.  First of all, if it was that easy to track something, I would be out of a job. Second of all, it goes against everything we believe in as far as allowing the trackee (is that a word) to be in full control of who watches them and when. Thirdly, it shows a mis-education of how GPS works. People have seen too many movies where the bad guy throws a magnetic tracking device on the back of the good guy's car and then track them down later. Those devices exist in concept, but they are bulky, expensive and you would not casually toss it at a passing car and expect the driver not to notice. Not to mention that even if you could get past the ethical dilemma of tracking somebody with out their permission, it's illegal and considered an invasion of privacy.

I'll talk more later about profitable, positive uses of real time GPS.

Print | posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 11:41 AM | Filed Under [ GPS Where's Tim ]

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

I cant find my lost phone
2/3/2007 3:19 PM | nadia

i need my phone
3/22/2007 7:19 PM | jonah

opening_123,
1) Watch your language
2) I am not a cell phone provider
3) That is creepy. Do you really want your provider to be able to flip a switch and find your phone?
4) What do kids in 1st grade have anything to do with this?
5/4/2007 1:10 PM | Tim Hibbard

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

I found a nextel i880. tried to find owner but no luck at company's lost and found. There is no sims card. Can I use it? Or can it be tracked and then I would be accused of setealing a phone. Ideas?
6/6/2007 7:39 PM | KGA

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

Please can you track my stolen phone, I will be eternally grateful. We can talk about rewards, costing.... Imei # 357858003305018

Carl
6/21/2007 8:21 AM | Carl

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

hi my name is paula my neighbour was cleaning my hosue and when i came back my phone was gone but i odnt have any proof that she stole it. but after wards she got alot of money. I thik she sold my phone? what should i do?
7/9/2007 11:38 PM | Paula

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

Hello, I also stumbled upon this blog in a search about using GPS to find a lost cell phone, however, I, unlike previous posters, actually read and understood your article. I hope I'll find my phone tomorrow, if not, are you _sure_ you can't find my phone with GPS? haha, just kidding. Good article, though!
7/11/2007 9:51 PM | SG

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

my phone was stolen last week..the authorized reseller of tmobile phones (who i bought mine from) told me that he can possibly try and track it down. how is this possible? and will it just give me the location of where the phone is? how about when i actually go about trying to get the phone back from whoever stole it? can somone comment?? thanks
8/4/2007 2:31 AM | dan

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

my phone was stolen tonight along with my entire purse and i feel violated... if anyone runs by a pik katana with a skull and crossbones on the back its mine and just dial 2 for "home" to let me know...

I HATE THE WORLD!!!
8/5/2007 11:40 PM | Rachel

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

can i track my phone down even if its off
8/7/2007 11:33 AM | gangsta

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

I lost my phone too. I kept calling it, but the dick turned it off. Shit! I feel stolen, just like the phone. It was part of me.
9/20/2007 9:58 AM | Mo

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

Is there like any wayy i can find my stolen phone. my phone has gps...and i have the serial number...would i be able to track it down?
9/27/2007 7:52 PM | annonymous

and i need to find it
9/29/2007 9:49 AM | alantee

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

I dis agree. I believe you can track a stolen GPS. It has a transponder that identifies itself to the satellit. You may not be able to find them driving down the street but you could get enough information over time to pin down a location where a suspect spends the majority of his time. A crimanl doesn't have any rights to protecting his\her location. I am sorry. If your stuff gets stolen then you can say don't track them. They took that chance when they broke the law. Are criminals to think they are not be looked for after doing something bad?
11/7/2007 1:56 PM | david jones

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

I know who has my phone , just get to him before,
he has a bad day .
11/29/2007 12:40 AM | EDGAR CRUSE JR.

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

i really need my phone i dont know if its stolen or lost.please help me find it.I dont want this to be a big deal I just need my phone
2/9/2008 11:06 PM | nesreen

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

hey man i got my iphone stolen any ideas on how to get it back i have tried calling at&t and the cops and haven't gotten much help anything would be of use at this point
2/13/2008 5:45 PM | charles campbell

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

My iphone was stolen and i really want it back what should i do
3/8/2008 5:14 PM | Frank

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

OMG, the comments... Hahahahaha! I'm both blown away and highly entertained at the same time.

Especially David Jones... do you honestly think that you sound intelligent?

Wow, just... wow.

BTW - Where's Tim... very cool.
3/31/2008 12:03 PM | A different Carl

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

Wow, I work for a company that builds wifi, bluetooth technologies/semiconductors. In this time 04/2008 it is absolutely possible to track devices such as Iphones and standard cell phones that continually send beacons to maintain signals. (I got 4 bars). So many people may give an opinion but they are what they are. Opinions.... Maybe this software dude may want to re-examine where we are at with our technologies. It is not about just GPS although that can be done, but where signals are passed from signal tower to signal tower. Yeah the first guy is probably out of business at this point.
4/9/2008 9:00 PM | JPS

# need software to track lost phone

Hi!

please help i need a software that can help me track my nokia N76

5/5/2008 5:23 AM | lwazi

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

We had a similar situation but with a happy end at Wizi. Our developer left her mobile phone in a cab and just noticed it later. Once she had Wizi on, she used a friend's phone to track her device. The result was a cab chase in Lisbon during 30 minutes until finally they found the driver parked at a taxi stand.

Of course the situation is different. Wizi is a location based social network where you can share your location with your friends. You only can track your friends with the application running and when they give you permission to see them.

You can also manage the permissions in the website (in case your phone is lost) but you will need the application to be on.

The full story at wizi blog:
5/14/2008 6:36 AM | Andre

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

Why cant they make a program a parent could install and only use to find phone? Any you people got kids?
Verizon parent chaperon.....http://support.vzw.com/faqs/Chaperone/faq_chaperone.html#item1
11/10/2008 6:09 PM | bhews

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

I can't find my cell phone. I turned it off, removed the battery and stomped on it before losing it. Can you use GPS to find it for me? I forget the number (never call it myself), but I can give you the credit card number (Visa 4182847328349932) I used to buy it, I'm sure you can just punch that into your system and let me know what gutter it fell into?
12/19/2008 2:53 PM | Common Idiot

Tim,

If you're still reading this thread, Merry Christmas and all the best for 2009. I came across it on a search for my old business name ... how cool that it still has a life of it's own after all this time. GPS receivers registering themselves with the satellites, tracking BlueTooth via cell towers ...one thing the US doesn't lack is imnagination ... too bad more people didn't study engineering rathe4r than script writing ;-)

I really need another blog like I need a hole in the head but I think I'll rework a 'dead' one I've had for some time now focused on snooping and other 'creepy' things the government allegedly can and can't do to us. There's certainly no lack of active gulible minds to read it.

I wonder if that 'first guy out of business' comment referred to me? I am out of business as many know, sold everything off, paid all the taxes and have been in my own little tropical paradise for nearly three years now. No regrets. And no heating bills either. Hope you all find your phones.
12/22/2008 5:20 PM | Dave Starr

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

load this software if you have a smartphone. it works

12/23/2008 7:47 PM | ron

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

pleasse help me find my stolen cell phone
1/7/2009 3:12 PM | marilee wright

# Tracking cell phones with gps

I found a site that claims to hook people up with businesses that can track a lost or stolen cell phone via gps. It looks legit?

Brandon
1/18/2009 2:11 PM | Brandon

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

Someone stole my phone today =( havent had it long lg secret!
not fair, i cant get hold of anyone and they have all my stuff!!
2/12/2009 6:06 PM | kw

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

some dumbass bitch stole my phone while i was at school........and i need my phone....n its very important to me......
4/3/2009 12:53 PM | sally

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

umm... you all crazy people will never find your phones unless someone calls you and says they found it.
5/6/2009 12:38 AM | Cell Phond Hacker

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

Pleas help me recover my stolen phone ore assign me to someone who can.I curently have no contact number,onley work mail and i have no knolage how the drill works to vind it.Please help it was a very expensive phone!!!
5/20/2009 4:53 AM | Abri Roos

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

sir,can you please help me find my stolen phone
the IMEI no is 357598004477925
5/25/2009 11:04 PM | sanchit garg

Can you help me find my stolen i phone..... IMEI # 011612006220007 Thanks
6/14/2009 6:24 AM | Lisa

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

hi, my name is corina and today 06-13-09 at 1:00 pm somebody stoled my phone at work in the break room . I had one of my friends text them and tell them to please return my phone and i will give them 200.00 dollors. They text back and said sure, but being a smart ass. so if u can help me please send me a email. ms.rinaladyc@yahoo.com
6/15/2009 2:56 AM | corina

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

How do I locate my lg triton using gps?
7/2/2009 8:28 AM | kimmie

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

My dog just ate my phone, swallowed the whole thing at once (big dog). I generally keep it on vibrate so my question is.. If I call continuously and make it vibrate will that cause the dog to, you know, pass the phone quicker?
7/15/2009 10:28 PM | Mary

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

I just lost my phone last night, a nice, not scratched G1 phone with blue decals. My mom is screaming at me 24/7 until we find it and i really need it for the information i carry it in: photos, numbers, my ssn. It has Loopt and is gps enabled but i still can't find it. please help me, this is the last time i get wasted at a party with my phone. my phone number on my cell is 619-788-6597. My mom's phone number is 760-297-8201. The IMEI is 351680031737772. Thank you
7/26/2009 5:11 PM | Joven Payumo

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

Help me find my phone. Can you turn on the GPS?
7/27/2009 11:24 PM | Ricky

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

I realize you cant track the cell phone but my phonr has photos messages ssn and a bunch of other private information. its a nice sort of new phone with no scratches and i really need it back!! i basically tore up my home looking for it andits no where to be found! Can you try to help the number is 9373088110. I wouldnt be so worried if it didnt have all that information on it.
8/11/2009 9:17 AM | Ashley

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

feel as though im part of the club now. i got so many private txts on my phone its not funny. i just want my phone back :(
8/15/2009 7:28 PM | tree

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

Someone stole my phone at a Dr's office on Sunday and now I am triung to figure out how to get my phone back. I have a one year warranty and the Insurance. What can I do?
9/2/2009 12:37 PM | felicia

Last used No.:09870362378
E-mail for communication: gopal7289@gmail.com
Missed date: 04-04-2009
IMEI No.: 35378501-734271-7
9/3/2009 9:15 AM | Gopal Pandurang Chaudhari

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

I lost my phone today can u tell me how to find it its sony ericson w995 and imei number is 354022030090928
9/10/2009 6:06 AM | RikZ

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

hey i found a phone weeks ago i have tried to find the owner but i have had no luck. i was woundering if i can use it or will i get accused of stealing it??
9/17/2009 3:52 PM | csghgkj

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

My phone was stolen from a Mc Donnalds employee. I have their address and the person they are communicating with. I went to the LAPD and officer sanchez from newton division said that i should just get a new cell phone. Great that lazy officer didnt do a report.
i have left several messages and spoken to the person that constantlyappears in my phone but she denies everything and called me a stalker. I want to know what should i do?
9/20/2009 2:57 PM | timas

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

I recently tracked my stolen phone using the gps. I called the phone company and deactivated all but incoming calls and initiated tracking. I was required to send an alert that the phone was stolen and being tracked and should be returned to the phone store. I reported the theft to the police, but they didn't act. So, I went to the home of the culprit and asked for the phone back. Luckily I spoke to a parent who got the phone from his daughter and acted appropriately.
10/31/2009 9:37 AM | success

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

i can not fine my stolen phone , tlocate it to a coordinates 27.56430,82.25350 in tampa fl 33605 , I know my husdand might give it a way but it have work infrmation in it , i need an address.
11/8/2009 4:25 AM | judiht bowe

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

how can all tracking devices be large and bulky? i mean, the GPS chip in a PDA or cell phone is not big... i understand that they require a power source but... comeon lol. my best suggestion would be.
1. use google latitude
2. install software on your pc that allows you to track your own phone if you lose it.
1/3/2010 1:25 PM | Shane

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

My phone was stolen 4 days ago,i've got the serial number and my phone has enabeled GPS,could you please tell me how can i find it?!
1/9/2010 12:47 PM | anoymous

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

i,ve lost my phone and i can't get it back . help!
3/1/2010 6:17 PM | gram

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

I was running through a huge field with my phone in my pocket.....then i realized it wasnt there anymore.. we looked for hours but cant find it....what should i do?
3/6/2010 4:14 PM | megan

i got my phone stollen and i cant find it the number is 0458156536
3/7/2010 9:18 PM | jono

hi
can u still find my phone if its turned off i only got it at christmas an its missing im sure its sum were in the house but it ddnt turn up yet its an lg please help !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

the number is 0852055083
3/10/2010 3:16 PM | megan higgins

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

I don't know what to do if you lose a phone, but I installed BuddyGuard on my blackberry, and it has the ability to lock and erase the phone. It also displays the owners information for the to contact you. Once you lock the phone, there's not much they can do unless they are tech savy.
4/13/2010 5:12 PM | best man

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

can you please help me track my stolen phone down. my phone got stolen in gym class today and i need to get it back how can you help me track it down so i can get it back so my 86 year old grandmother doesnt have to pay for another one for me . my phone is an samsung instinct the second one by sprint and it has been deactivated
4/16/2010 11:08 PM | aj stewart

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

My phone was stolen at work on monday by a co-worker, obviously but that person won't give up my phone. Its a g-1, it's kind of like the my touch but a little more lower class than the my touch. I'm not sure if it does have a gps or not. But what do you suggest me to do?
5/12/2010 1:04 PM | yuri

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

I lost my iPhone. It was locked, not jailbroken, and 3gs with a sim. The theif turned it off but i have the IMEI number serial, ICCID, UPC, and all the info neccessary. It has gps and everything. Can you help me find my phone PLEASE?!
5/17/2010 4:46 PM | Stephen Song

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

i just had my phone stolen today, it fell out of my stroller and someone accidently answered it. i have a video of my son right after he was born and a bunch of pictures that can never be replaced. i'm SO sad no one understands how horrible i feel that i'll never find it again. if anyone knows how i can find it PLEASE let me know. i don't care about the phone really i just want my pix and vids back.
5/20/2010 11:15 PM | New mom

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

e-mail me at kiwi_1792@yahoo.com please and thank you it means SO much to me.
5/20/2010 11:16 PM | New mom

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

i really need to find my phone it got stolen last monday it has everything on it please email me at kiahkb97@yahoo.com
6/10/2010 10:10 AM | kiahb

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

You must install some GPS tracking software first before you can track a cell phone location, hope it helps, lol.
6/19/2010 11:28 AM | GPS tracker

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

If i find your phones what do i get! (to girls only)
9/20/2010 6:09 AM | bend over

# can too...here is a video how

can too, here is a video how

10/28/2010 6:01 PM | connor

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

i need my foe i kcant live without iht iht , i feel like dyin right now because my fone is my everything lik3 be serious
11/8/2010 2:00 PM | inese robinson

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

I got my phone stolen about three years ago and I was very sad, because I lost a lot of important contacts. It's not like I had 800 numbers on it, but I hadn't managed to get some of them back. It was a dark day.
11/23/2010 8:35 AM | ella

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

I was robbed and need to find my phone fast so they can catch those crookes
12/19/2010 1:00 AM | david

my mobile stolen
1/6/2011 9:53 AM | nisar khan

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

Pleeas!!! Pleasse! help me track my phone. This person i think iknow i who stole it but when somenone quetions her she denies it. I reealy need my phone back because there was important stuuf in it....PLEASE
1/12/2011 5:24 PM | adri

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

cant find my phone. i live on a farm and i lost it in a field how do i track it?
5/17/2011 5:00 PM | kelsey

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

I can't find my lost mobile phone
6/22/2011 2:37 AM | zendabad

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

i lost my iphone last week. i was about to get off the bus and i accidently dropped it. i think one of the Souldiers picked it up but it was gona an hour and a half later. how do i find it?
Pleeeeease help mee
6/26/2011 5:37 PM | :)

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

I lost my phone last night please help
7/3/2011 8:18 AM | ian bradley

# re: I can not find your lost or stolen phone with GPS

ive lost my iphone and i really need it bak and i cant use find my iphone so can u plzz help me find it ??
9/8/2011 7:02 PM | jayden