Having bought this sweet awesomely new 500 GB hard disk from Maxtor, I fooled around in hope to back my files from my workstation at office; I discovered that Maxtor OneTouch external hard disk does not support Windows Server 2003.
Googling and dazing got me the following stuff:
- Start Service Manager (services.msc)
- Go to Removable Storage service. Start the same and set it to "Automatic" start in future.
- Connect your Maxtor hard disk as normal and wait for it to be detected.
- On detection, fire up Computer Manager (compmgmt.msc)
- On Disk Management node, add a drive letter to the your disk.
- Re-attach the drive, it's now like so functional :)
Hope this help if ever you are stuck getting your baby kiss your operating system! :p