Sean's Blog

My Development Blog

Home  |   Contact  |   Syndication    |   Login
  18 Posts | 0 Stories | 99 Comments | 0 Trackbacks

Twitter

.NET Development

I was recently working on an application that was known for throwing random exceptions at various times for no apparent reason.  Frustrated, I wrote this snippet of code to ease the tension.  I just thought I'd share it with you.

Program.cs
using System; using System.Collections.Generic; namespace RandomConsoleTests { class RandomConsoleTests { static void Main(string[] args) { ThrowRandomException(); } public static void ThrowRandomException() { throw ExceptionFactory.CreateRandomException(); } } }

ExceptionFactory.cs
using System; using System.Collections.Generic; using System.ComponentModel; using System.Configuration; using System.Configuration.Provider; using System.Data; using System.IO.IsolatedStorage; using System.Net.Mail; namespace RandomConsoleTests { public static class ExceptionFactory { public static Exception CreateRandomException() { Random rand = new Random(); switch (rand.Next(0, 20)) { case 0: return new ApplicationException(); case 1: return new ProviderException(); case 2: return new SettingsPropertyIsReadOnlyException(); case 3: return new SettingsPropertyNotFoundException(); case 4: return new SettingsPropertyWrongTypeException(); case 5: return new IsolatedStorageException(); case 6: return new SmtpException(); case 7: return new SystemException(); case 8: return new AccessViolationException(); case 9: return new AppDomainUnloadedException(); case 10: return new ArgumentException(); case 11: return new ArithmeticException(); case 12: return new ArrayTypeMismatchException(); case 13: return new BadImageFormatException(); case 14: return new CannotUnloadAppDomainException(); case 15: return new KeyNotFoundException(); case 16: return new WarningException(); case 17: return new TimeoutException(); case 18: return new OutOfMemoryException(); case 19: return new DataException(); case 20: return new InvalidOperationException(); default: return new Exception(); } } } }
posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 2:50 PM

# re: Random Exceptions 4/23/2008 6:17 PM Sam
I love this. I would enhance it with custom exceptions.

Next time I need another exception, I will let you know.

# re: Random Exceptions 4/24/2008 3:32 AM vonPryz
Here's my take on more improved version of the factory. Some informative error messages are returned too!

public static class ExceptionFactory
{
public static Exception CreateRandomException()
{
Random rand = new Random();

List<string> head = new List<string>();
List<string> reason = new List<string>();
List<string> location = new List<string>();

head.Add("WARNING! Unexpected");
head.Add("FATAL! Priviledge violation:");
head.Add("DANGER! Resource unavailable,");

reason.Add("end of file encountered (no quack)");
reason.Add("boolean value file_not_found returned");
reason.Add("insufficient user rights to access Brillant Paula bean");

location.Add("at module 0xCAFEBABE.");
location.Add("at assembly loading.");
location.Add(string.Format("for handling {0}",
System.Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.InternetCache).ToString())
);

case 20: return new InvalidOperationException(msg);
default: return new Exception(msg);
}
}
}

# re: Random Exceptions 4/24/2008 8:56 AM Sean
vonPryz, I love the error messages. Thanks!

# re: Random Exceptions 4/25/2008 2:20 PM Sijin Joseph
Only 20??

You can use reflection to instantiate every possible exception type and return a lot more exceptions...LOL

# re: Random Exceptions 4/25/2008 2:45 PM Sean
Sijin, a friend of mine gave me the same suggestion, but I just never bothered to update it. If I have time this weekend, I'll make the update.

Thanks for the suggestion!

# re: Random Exceptions 4/27/2008 12:11 PM Kaushik R
This is innovation at its best... I think we can make it more configurable by following a Windows workflow design and by making use of reflection and finally make sure that the person maintaining the application with this piece of code never finds this. lol. Great one!!!!

# re: Random Exceptions 4/30/2008 10:14 PM Kevin
What is worse, the fact that you have nothing better to do with your time or the fact that I took the time to read this?