Geeks With Blogs

Scott Kuhl Warning: I may have no idea what I am talking about!

Last week I was trying to decide whether to finally go ahead and order Learn and Master Guitar.  I'm not sure how I originally found out, but it seems to be a very popular system.

The reviews for it are great.  Almost too great.  Every review seemed to be so good that I started to question the authenticity of them.

First, take a look at these Google search results for learn and master guitar.

So why not believe them?

  1. The reviews seemed a little too close to the same.
  2. Every link title "is this a scam" lead to an "absolutely not" review.
  3. Why were there so many links with scam in the subject in the first place?
  4. Why were there so many paid advertisement links to reviews?
  5. (This one is the worst.)  The site always has a limited time offer sale of $100 off which is about to end.  Check back after the expiration date, and the 3 day clock resets.
  6. The award it won seems a little shady.

Everything started to feel like an infomercial or a get rich quick scheme.

So why believe them?

  1. Forums, forums, forums.  I really could not find any bad reviews.  The worst I found were comments that the system was good but don't expect a magic bullet, or good for beginners (me) but not intermediate players.
  2. Same results on Q & A sites.
  3. Same results on blogs.

Is it really possible that this company is trolling all these sites to put up fake positive reviews?

I know there are some guitar players that read GWB.  Anyone know more about this?  I plan on supplementing this with real lessons from Melodic Rhythms and The Principals of Correct Practice for Guitar.

Now let's see if I can find time to learn to play, launch and start posting more again.  My track record of late on GWB has been abysmal.

Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 11:51 PM | Back to top

Comments on this post: Are Too Many Good Reviews A Bad Thing?

# re: Are Too Many Good Reviews A Bad Thing?
Requesting Gravatar...
Hey Scott, while I don't have any experience or insight with the product you're talking about, I thought I might drop my two cents for you.

I've been playing guitar for about 12 years now (with that much time under my belt I should probably be further along than I am, but I digress). My experience with books and products like you're looking at has been mixed. It seems many of them require you to know a solid base of music theory to really get the most benefit from them - conversely, some gloss over things so quickly that you don't really get the understanding of "why" you're doing something, just that you should do it. Most of these products do offer some good advice, theory, and techniques, but I always soon found myself bored to tears with them and not sticking with the program, which in turn does not benefit your playing ability or your learning.

Honestly, one of the best ways I've found for growing as a guitar player is to find another guitar player that's better than you and just sit down with a 6 pack and go for it. The interaction and feedback you'll get is far more beneficial to growing your skills IMHO. You'll be able to ask them why and how they do certain things.

In summary, I learned 98% of how to play from sitting down with other guitar players and playing along to my favorite songs. The other 2% was from materials like you're looking at - they are great when you can't figure out why something works the way it does or want to learn the theory behind why a scale sounds good with a certain chord progression, etc. If the program doesn't cost too much, sure, give it a try. But I would definitely recommend trying to find a guitar player you get along with and just jamming an hour or two a week.
Left by Jerod Crump on Jul 29, 2008 9:21 AM

# re: Are Too Many Good Reviews A Bad Thing?
Requesting Gravatar...
Forgot to mention that you might also want to ping Rob Foster <> for his advice. Rob's a very solid guitar player.
Left by Jerod Crump on Jul 29, 2008 9:25 AM

# re: Are Too Many Good Reviews A Bad Thing?
Requesting Gravatar...
Thanks Jerod. I do plan on taking lessons, and my wife started playing 6 months ago, so we'll be going down this road together. I took music theory in grade school and junior high, so I do understand it's importance, even if I can't remember anything. Also can't seem to remember how to speak Spanish anymore. Brain must be full.
Left by Scott Kuhl on Jul 29, 2008 10:40 AM

Your comment:
 (will show your gravatar)

Copyright © Scott Kuhl | Powered by: