Rohit Gupta

Engaging talk on Microsoft Technologies ....My Resume

Home  |   Contact  |   Syndication    |   Login
  43 Posts | 0 Stories | 42 Comments | 0 Trackbacks

Twitter

Image Galleries

Personal

If you needed to generate dynamic logfile names with log4net then you can use the following config

1: <appender name="RollingFileAppenderV1" type="log4net.Appender.RollingFileAppender">
   2:     <file type="log4net.Util.PatternString" value="F:\HornetFeed\%property{LogName}" />
   3:     <appendToFile value="true" />
  12:     <filter type="log4net.Filter.PropertyFilter">
  13:         <Key value="Version" />
  14:         <StringToMatch value="1" />
  15:     </filter>
  16:     <filter type="log4net.Filter.DenyAllFilter" />
  17: </appender>

Note the %property{LogName} this is a log4net Property which we can set at runtime using C# code.

1: log4net.GlobalContext.Properties["LogName"] = "file1.log";

Remember to set the GlobalContext Properties before instantiating the log4net logger. i.e. before this call:

1: log4net.ILog log = LogManager.GetLogger(typeof(Program));

Also note the “PropertyFilter”

1: <filter type="log4net.Filter.PropertyFilter">
   2:     <Key value="Version" />
   3:     <StringToMatch value="1" />
   4: </filter>

This Property is also set dynamically at runtime using C# code. We can use ThreadContext to determine which logfile the log entry will be written to. Thus if you wanted that the RollingFileAppenderV1 was used for writing insure that the Thread calling the log.Warn method precedes the call with this following line

1: log4net.ThreadContext.Properties["Version"] = "1";

If you wanted to use RollingFileAppenderV1 always for logging all messages other than Exception messages then use the following

1: try
   2: {
   3:     log4net.GlobalContext.Properties["Version"] = "1";
   4:     //Business logic with many log.Warn calls
   5: }
   6: catch (Exception ex)
   7: {
   8:     LogError(ex);
   9: }
  10:
  11: ///Helper method to log errors:
  12: internal static void LogError(Exception ex)
  13: {
  14:     string state = "1";
  15:     if(log4net.ThreadContext.Properties["Version"] != null)
  16:         state = log4net.ThreadContext.Properties["Version"].ToString();
  17:     log4net.ThreadContext.Properties["Version"] = "0";
  18:     logger.HandleException(ex, "Error");
  19:     log4net.ThreadContext.Properties["Version"] = state;
  20: }

Note I am using GlobalContext and hence all threads will use this setting to write to log files. No need to set the TrheadContext.Properties on individual threads.

But I prefer to use ThreadContext so that we can control the setting on each thread level.

Also make sure the log4net XML config is set as follows:

1: <log4net>
   2: // the following logs only those logs when the Property Version is set to 1 i.e.
   3: // if Version =1  then log.Warn calls are logged to this dynamically named file
   4:     <appender name="RollingFileAppenderV1" type="log4net.Appender.RollingFileAppender">
   5:         <file type="log4net.Util.PatternString" value="F:\HornetFeed\%property{LogName}" />
   6:         <appendToFile value="true" />
  16:             <Key value="Version" />
  17:             <StringToMatch value="1" />
  18:         </filter>
  19:         <filter type="log4net.Filter.DenyAllFilter" />
  20:     </appender>
  21:
  22: //The following matches and logs all events except Version=1 and Version=2 and strings containing CACHE_CALL_LOG
  23:
  24:     <appender name="RollingFileAppender" type="log4net.Appender.RollingFileAppender">
  25:         <file type="log4net.Util.PatternString" value="F:\logfiles\trace.log" />
  26:         <appendToFile value="true" />
  46:             <stringToMatch value="CACHE_CALL_LOG" />
  47:             <acceptOnMatch value="false" />
  48:         </filter>
  49:     </appender>
posted on Tuesday, March 3, 2009 4:52 PM

# re: Dynamic log fileNames with log4net 6/22/2009 10:13 AM Step
Thanks my man. You save my life and my time :)

# re: Dynamic log fileNames with log4net 7/21/2009 4:23 AM tine
thanks sir. very well explained. easy to use.
just like Step said, save my life and my time !
hehehhehe

# re: Dynamic log fileNames with log4net 9/15/2009 8:28 PM Jack
thanks for sharing! with your tip, we can change the log path or log name during the runtime!

# re: Dynamic log fileNames with log4net 11/8/2009 9:41 AM shai
thanks, BUT,
when working with threads,
i get mixed up in the logs

# re: Dynamic log fileNames with log4net 11/27/2009 4:13 AM Rajasekar
I am using log4net for my application.. I am able to log the error at application level ie., only one log file for the application.. this is fine.

Mine is web application and several users would be using tht. So I need to log individual user's log to indiviual files.. basically if ten users are accessing the web, I should have 10 log files.

Infact I have found the way for generating files where the file name is dynamic (user id of the user who is accessing).. but I am facing trouble

when user X logged in, a file X.log is created - this is OK
When user Y logged in (after X - log out) , a file Y.log is created - this is OK

Now if there are concurrent access, say X & Y are accessing simultaneously.. I got only one file whose name is - whoever logged in first.. and the log information of second user gets recorded along vit first user. This is where I really need help!

# re: Dynamic log fileNames with log4net 7/29/2010 7:19 PM raaga_sai
I have tried the above steps, but it is not logging.

The criteria I am working on is ,
first I declare an ILog reference, at the start of the code.
After, once I get the file name from SOAP Extension class, then only I will get to know the file.
I am assigning the file name to property as suggested above.
Once the data/stream is retrieved , I am just
_FileLogger = LogManager.GetLogger("FileLogger");
_FileLogger.Debug(logData.ToString());

this does not seem to work

# re: Dynamic log fileNames with log4net 7/29/2010 10:35 PM raaga_sai
Now I have see that , the file name logs as "null"

# re: Dynamic log fileNames with log4net 12/29/2010 7:45 PM sandeep
hello ..
i am using a log4net dll which seems to be very old one.
i cannot find log4net.GlobalContext.Properties available. can u pls help me how to set the it dynamically?

thanks
Sandeep

# re: Dynamic log fileNames with log4net 3/11/2011 4:21 AM Muhammad Mudassir
Ok good but tell about Rename file after some instance of time.
Thanks
jazak Allah.

# re: Dynamic log fileNames with log4net 8/2/2011 5:54 AM virendra
i follwed the steps mentioned above.
i did set the GlobalContext Properties before instantiating the log4net logger. i.e. before this call:

log4net.ILog log = LogManager.GetLogger(typeof(Program));

The log file is getting created for me but its writing log when i used log.Debug("Message") method.

Can any one help me on this?????

# re: Dynamic log fileNames with log4net 8/2/2011 5:56 AM virendra
Please ignore above comment updated is this one.

i follwed the steps mentioned above.

log4net.ILog log = LogManager.GetLogger(typeof(Program));

The log file is getting created for me but its NOT writing log when i used log.Debug("Message") method.

Can any one help me on this?????

# re: Dynamic log fileNames with log4net 8/19/2011 6:31 PM giants replica home jersey
I often write a blog, I really admire your content. Article really peaks my interest. I want to bookmark your site and keep checking new new information