Microsoft provides three approaches for upgrading from WSS 2.0 to WSS 3.0. More here
If you are installing WSS 3.0 on a different server than the existing WSS 2.0, the only approach available is the “Database Migration”. This approach is considered "advanced" and requires additional steps. If you have a WSS 2.0 that has not been customized, this seems likes overkill for such a simple upgrade.
The following approach lets WSS do some of the behind the scenes work for you. This approach has WSS 3.0 creating the files needed for a new Web application and configuring IIS.
- Using Central Administration, create a new Web application in WSS 3.0
- Create with all of the “production” values desired EXCEPT create a temporary content database.
- Using STSADM, attach the V2 content (which WSS 3.0 will upgrade to V3) .
- Using Central Administration, remove the temporary database.
- Install WSS 3.0 on the new server (if you have not already done so)
- Copy the WSS 2.0 content database to the database you wish to use for 3.0
- (copy MyContent2 to MyContent3).
- Using WSS 3.0 Application Management:
- Create a new Web Application
- Create new IIS Web site with a temporary database
- Database Name : wss_Portal_Temp (this database will be deleted, you must use a name of a database that does not already exist when creating a new Web application)
- Attaching content from WSS v2
- Verify the SetupService account is a dbowner for the MyContent3 database
- Run stsadm
- stsadm –o addcontentdb –url http://wss/ -databaseserver MyWSSServerName –databasename MyContent3
- This might run a while if you have a large database
- Review log file: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\LOGS\Upgrade.log
- Review the Application event log on the WSS 3.0 server
- Using WSS 3.0 Central Administration remove the temporary database
- Application Management tab
- SharePoint Web Application Management section
- Content Databases Link
- In the “Manage Content Databases”
- Select desired web application in the Web Application dropdown
- Click the link for the Temporary Database
- In the “Manage Content Database Settings”
- scroll to the last section and check “Remove Content Database”
- Click “OK”