Geeks With Blogs
Paul Lee Sharepoint bumps and bruises Sharepoint Administration
IIS Service Unavailable

I found a great post on how to troubleshoot the "503 Service Unavailable" error.

http://blogs.iis.net/brian-murphy-booth/archive/2007/03/22/how-to-troubleshoot-an-iis-event-id-1009-error.aspx

I'm putting this link up mostly so I can easily find it next time I have this issue.  :)

 

Posted On Wednesday, December 9, 2009 2:39 PM

Sharepoint cannot resolve AD security group
I was banging my head against the wall over this one for a few days. There was a particular AD security group (over 1000 users) that sharepoint could not resolve. Nothing about it (so I thought) was different than any of the groups that sharepoint could resolve. Same setup, OU and everything. Finally, I realized that the Alias name was not the same as the standard object name which is called the "Pre-Windows 2000" name in Active Directory. In 99% of all the cases, these are the same. For some reason, ......

Posted On Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:15 PM

MOSS - corrupt memory errors
Today my index server started to show this error in the event logs: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt. More or less the same error in three separate events: Event ID 6398 Event ID 6482 Event ID 7076 I did a quick search on the web and found this fix: http://support.microsoft.co... Seems to work but I'm still not sure why this started to happen all of a sudden. My environment: Server 2003 SP2, MOSS SP1, Feb CU ......

Posted On Monday, June 8, 2009 12:26 PM

Sharepoint Datasheet view errors
Here's the error from one of my users: The list is displayed in Standard view. It cannot be displayed in Datasheet view for one or more of the following reasons: A datasheet component compatible with Windows SharePoint Services is not installed, your browser does not support ActiveX controls, or support for ActiveX controls is disabled. This just started happening this week. Only for one user. No recent patches on the sharepoint server. If you search this on the internet, you get tons of results ......

Posted On Friday, May 1, 2009 11:42 AM

Stsadm createsite doesn't create default groups
If you use: stsadm -o createsite [required fields] -sitetemplate STS#0 to create your site collections, the default groups are missing (Owners, Visitors, Members). If you create your site collections without the -sitetemplate option, when you first visit the site, you get a page to choose a site template followed by a page to to setup the default groups for the site. Nice. If you're like me, you create 50 sites with the -sitetemplate option before figuring out there are no default groups.... So what ......

Posted On Wednesday, April 29, 2009 5:11 PM

Sharepoint Crawls stop working - Part 2
Environment: SIngle server farm - Windows 2003 - MOSS SP1 I found another server with the same "access denied" error in the crawl logs. So I applied the Loopback fix but then another error: The system cannot find the path specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070003) After searching the internet, I found the solution. You have to make sure the "gthrsvc" folder exists under your search account's Temp directory. Then restart the search service. CMD> net stop osearch CMD> net start osearch Then ......

Posted On Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:38 PM

Sharepoint lists stop receiving emails
Got woken up this morning by frantic people in Amsterdam. Their document libraries stopped receiving emails! First thing I checked was to make sure emails were still making it to the sharepoint server. To the IIS drop box at least... So I sent a test email there. Yep, they were definitely getting there. And they were disappearing too so that means the timer service was working and picking them up. So where the hell were they going? So I throttled the email events: After sending another test email, ......

Posted On Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:47 PM

Sharepoint crawls stop working after server patch
Environment: MOSS SP1 with Feb CU - WIndows Server 2003 I noticed this issue today after installing the Feb CU last week. The sharepoint crawler was not crawling any sites that had a DNS alias to itself. For example, my servername was myserver01 and I have a DNS alias called myportal. The crawler would not crawl http://myportal and anything under it. This sucks. My error from the event viewer: Access is denied. Check that the Default Content Access Account has access to this content, or add a crawl ......

Posted On Wednesday, April 22, 2009 12:18 PM

Copyright © Paul Lee | Powered by: GeeksWithBlogs.net