Code Generator for ASP.NET application

I had a requirement to find Code Generator that will help to port existing quite big fat client application to ASP.NET and to support multiple databases.

The codegeneration.net site provides quite a big list of applications that claims to do this.

I also was pointed by Paul Wilson's  posts (How do you decide what features to add or cut?, Debate: O/R Mapping or Code Generation  and others) that Dynamic SQLs in O/R mappers allow to avoid hundreds of CRUD stored procedures and DAL classes.
Unfortunately, most of O/R Mapper tool have nothing with web site generation. And most of ASP.Net generators do not use dynamic SQL, but generate stored procedures.
Only two products seem to do both: TierDeveloper--Alachisoft and EntitySpaces.
After downloading TierDeveloper I understood that they generate static parameterized SQL, not using O/R
engine generates queries at runtime. Also tehASP.NET pages they generated are quite messy.

The demo version of EntitySpaces Template Suite for ASP.NET looks very good, and they also have DNN templates, which is important for my development.

So it seems that EntitySpaces is the best choice for my project. (Touch the wood, 2 years ago I choose VBExpress generator and I am not much happy with that my choise).

You can see my draft research document with links and notes that I’ve used for this research.

posted @ Wednesday, December 20, 2006 3:56 PM

Comments on this entry:

# re: Code Generator for ASP.NET application

Left by Thomas at 12/2/2007 11:46 PM
Hi Michael,

I've found your blog and read your interesting article about code generation for ASP.NET (http://geekswithblogs.net/mnf/archive/2006/12/20/101651.aspx) and I'd just like to point out we released a ASP.NET and Winforms code generation tool this year - NConstruct (http://www.nconstruct.com). It is based on NHibernate O/RM and dynamic HQL and it doesn't generate stored procedures for CRUD operations. NConstruct generates all layers of applications so developer gets the whole working application (app. server, Win client, Web client) in the end of the code generation process.

So, if you intend to write some more stuff about code generation and need any information about our product, you can contact me at any time.

Thank you and best wishes with your blog and your work!

Thomas

# re: Code Generator for ASP.NET application

Left by Michael Freidgeim at 12/2/2007 11:48 PM
Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your e-mail. At the moment I am quite happy with EntitySpaces and is going to try MS LINQ to SQL.
Anyway I will look at your product some time in a future.

# re: Code Generator for ASP.NET application

Left by Evoluteur at 2/25/2009 12:49 AM
Hi,

In the same spirit there is also Evolutility CRUD framework.

# re: Code Generator for ASP.NET application

Left by Michael Freidgeim at 2/26/2009 8:09 AM
Hi Evoluteur,
Evolutility is a very good solution for SIMPLE web sites.ON THE FLY code generation usually not sufficient for the pages in my projects. I need a generated partial class for user control with ability to access individual controls to add specific business logic/validation in my code.

# re: Code Generator for ASP.NET application

Left by Evoluteur at 3/6/2009 9:22 PM
Hi Michael,

I see what you mean. Evolutility is still limited (and will never do everything a developer can code). It is a young project, it is maturing with time and will allow for more and more complex CRUD apps.

For now, there may be a few simple CRUDs in your application (like admin tables) where it may save you some time.

Your comment: