Using VS 2005 Web Setup Project Web Site porject - not user friendly process.

If you are working with Web Site porjects, VS 2005 Web Setup Project out-of-the-box is almost useless. The only option is to add content (including source code files).

The recommended solution  is to publish web project to create  precompiled web application.

Then you can add Procomiled site content to Web Setup Project.

Note that you will see VS warning that precompiled Web Site is not recommended to be added to solution.

When you will build Web Setup Project, the error will be shown

Error 1 This application is already precompiled.

You have to ignore both warning and error to make MSI built.

It is not user friendly process!

If you are working with Web Application Projects(WAP), see ScottGu's Creating Packaged ASP.NET Setup Programs with VS 2005  (thanks to Dave's comment below for pointing to the article).

posted @ Friday, February 3, 2006 8:48 AM

Comments on this entry:

# re: Using VS 2005 Web Setup Project - not user friendly process.

Left by vaishali at 5/1/2006 12:40 PM
Hi Michael,

You can eliminate this as follows:

In Solutions Explorer, right-click on the setup project to bring up the properties window.

Click on the Configuration Manager button

This will show you a list of files included within the setup.

Against your precompiled outputs, uncheck the checkbox in the "build" column

try and rebuild the setup, it will proceed beautifully

# re: Using VS 2005 Web Setup Project - not user friendly process.

Left by Pete at 6/23/2006 7:41 PM
Hi,
I am having the same problem and tried the above resolution. Unfortunately it made absolutely no difference and I still get the "This application is already precompiled" message. A very frustrating problem.

# re: Using VS 2005 Web Setup Project - not user friendly process.

Left by Michael Freidgeim at 6/28/2006 4:18 PM
Pete,
Solution, suggested by vaishali, definitely works to avoid build error. Ensure that your Configuration Manager canges are done for the correct mode ("debug" or "release").

# re: Using VS 2005 Web Setup Project - not user friendly process.

Left by Chris at 9/8/2006 10:18 PM
Had the same problem, and tried the above. No results. In the solution explorer i deleted the PrecompiledApp.config . Voila.

# re: Using VS 2005 Web Setup Project - not user friendly process.

Left by Ali at 9/27/2006 2:21 AM
Deleting PrecompiledApp.config solved the case. Yay!

# re: Using VS 2005 Web Setup Project - not user friendly process.

Left by Michael Freidgeim at 9/27/2006 12:12 PM
Ali,
The PrecompiledApp.config file is used to keep track of how the app was deployed and whether ASP.NET needs to compile any files at request time.
So by deleting the file you will lost the important information and the deployed site will start slower.

# re: Using VS 2005 Web Setup Project - not user friendly process.

Left by Jagadeesh at 3/6/2008 10:49 PM
The above solution worked for me, I also removed PrecompiledApp.config file.

# re: Using VS 2005 Web Setup Project - not user friendly process.

Left by dave at 3/19/2008 2:35 AM
Check out ScottGu's blog. Excellent example!

# re: Using VS 2005 Web Setup Project - not user friendly process.

Left by Michael Freidgeim at 3/19/2008 8:53 AM
Dave,
Thanks to pointing to good ScottGu's blog post.
However he is talking about Web Application Project(which is better for all not-trivial web applications). My post was about Web SITE project(only one that was available in VS 2005 at Feb 2006)

# re: Using VS 2005 Web Setup Project Web Site porject - not user friendly process.

Left by Michael Freidgeim at 4/18/2008 7:08 AM
John,
Without the PrecompiledApp.config file ASP.NET will compile any .ASPX/ASCX files at request time, that will slow down start an application for the first user.
see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163675.aspx

Left by celerno at 6/5/2008 12:35 PM
yes, but deleting your precompiledApp.config is not a solution, well... in case of you want to deliver the source code into your application...

i still working in andother solution...

Left by umesh at 12/4/2008 7:49 PM
i have install the vs 2005 .and start the vs 2005 i am not using the web port.\
please help me.

thanks
umesh mishra

Left by JulesH at 1/15/2009 11:17 PM
I ported and upgraded a VS2005 website to VS2008. Having got the Precompiled error, I removed the precompliledApp.config, but still got the error.

The solution, I found, was then to delete the whole 'ProjectSection' from the .sln file. Viola!!

Left by pshah at 4/2/2009 9:06 PM
hey vaishali solution is very helpful to me and it solved my prob thanks yar ... :)

Left by orly at 6/25/2009 1:09 AM
I have so many problems with the installation of my website.
First when I am creating a setup project and need to select project output
I do not have primary output so I am adding a deploy project.
The deploy project add deploy to the name of all assembly dll's and can not find them afterwards.
I am changing the dll's name in bin folder and I still can not see page on browser in IIS.

Left by Umesh Kumar at 11/25/2009 5:12 AM
Hey Vaishali!
Your suggested solution worked for me as well.
Thanks for saving my day.

Left by claire at 7/15/2010 11:45 AM
vaishali solutiion worked for me

Your comment: