On a windows 2003 server (IIS6) from some time when I tried to open ASP.NET application I started to receive error:

.NET Runtime version 1.1.4322.2300- Setup Error: Failed to load resources from resource file.Please check your Setup.

and was unable to do anything. In the Sitem event log ther was related warning from W3SVC:

A process serving application pool 'Pool1' terminated unexpectedly. The process id was '2648'. The process exit code was '0x800703e9'.

The google shows many reports(e.g www.dotnet247.com/247reference/msgs/34/174172.aspx)  with the same error but not much resolutiuons.

I beleived that the error started after I've installed remote debugging components for .Net 1.1. So I've uninstalled remote debugging components from the machine, but it didn't  help.

Then I've install all windows Servcie Packs/Updates -no changes to my problem.

On web I found an advice to install “Debug Diagnostic Service” -it didn't stop on the error and didn't produce any logs.

I've install full version of VS 2003 and it allowed me to debug Stack Overflow exception.

The stack traced showed that SecurityException was thrown recurcively by dnvexceptionhandler.dll!net.nvisionsoftware.AppVisionSLM.ExceptionWrapper.

I found that DotNetWindows VAT (Vulnerability Assessment Test)  from nVision Software Technologies was installed. I've uninstalled it but the same error still occurred.

I found that even after uninstall folder C:\WINDOWS\NVisionInstrumentationConfig still existed and dnvexceptionhandler.dll was still loaded by w3wp.exe.

Only when I manually renamed  C:\WINDOWS\NVisionInstrumentationConfig  folder , the error disappeared.

Hurray!

posted @ Friday, December 16, 2005 1:17 PM

Comments on this entry:

# re: Resolved :.NET Runtime version 1.1.4322.2300- Setup Error: Failed to load resources from resource file

Left by Veerendra Reddy at 1/20/2006 2:15 PM
Will Vs2003 installation required for Vulnerability Assessment Test ?

Left by Michael Freidgeim at 1/31/2006 6:07 AM
Veerendra,

Vulnerability Assessment Test doesn't require VS2003.
The installation of Vs2003 was required for me to debug the problem. I beleive that any other debugger would help me as well.

Left by rjs at 3/24/2007 1:28 AM
Wow, you went a thousand extra miles on this one and I just started to see this error today. You saved me a ton of effort, thanks so much for posting such great detail on this one!!

Left by seliza at 7/19/2007 3:22 AM
No puedo ingresar a la pagina no se porque sea

Left by Michael Freidgeim at 7/20/2007 12:44 AM
seliza,
Sorry, but I don't undestand your comment. I beleive that it is Spanish, isn't it? Could you translate it to English or Russian?

Left by Nuria at 2/19/2008 9:27 PM
Hi!
I have the same problem, but I don't have nVision Software. I just have odbc.net, IBM data direct, some HP System Tools for manage hard disk.
Can you tell me where I can find simple and good information for debugging?
Thanks!

Left by Michael Freidgeim at 2/19/2008 10:41 PM
Look at Debug Diagnostic Tool (http://207.46.19.190/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=28bd5941-c458-46f1-b24d-f60151d875a3&displaylang=en). But I haven't used it for a long time.

Left by Nuria at 2/20/2008 8:14 PM
Thanks. I've done some google search too.

Left by Shishir at 3/26/2008 12:45 AM
Hi
I have a windows VB6.0 application. I too got the same error - Setup Error: Failed to load resources from resource file.Please check your Setup.
On the box where we could select the debugger it says - "System.ExecutionEngine.Exception"
What could be the possible reasons?

Left by Vutkuri at 7/17/2009 8:33 AM
we were able to resolve this error by fixing the code in our application. Indefinite loop in the program logic caused this error. once we fixed it the error disappeared. I think this is the way how microsoft handles unhandled exceptions.

Thanks

Left by web development company at 10/8/2009 4:49 AM
Cool,

Does Vulnerability Assessment Test require Vs2003 installation?

thanks for the post