Posts
208
Comments
1144
Trackbacks
Visual Studio 2010 Pro Power Tools Screencast

Microsoft just released the Visual Studio 2010 Pro Power Tools extension and it is awesome. A summary of all the features can be found here and it is available in the Visual Studio Gallery here. There are a bunch of great features but, in my opinion, the best one is the replacement for the Add Reference dialog. This gives sub-string search capabilities as well as the ability to add multiple references without having to continually re-open the dialog. For this feature alone, you should install the Pro Power Tools right now. There are a few blogs posts that do a good job describing all the features but what I wanted to do here was to post a quick screencast (7 minutes) that shows the features that I think are really cool. I show most (but not all) of the features focusing on the ones I think are the best. The features I cover are:

• Installation with the Extension Manager
  • Add Reference Dialog replacement
  • Tab Well including pinned tabs, pinned tabs in second row, fixed close button, colorized tabs, dirty indicator
  • Highlight current line
  • Triple Click for full-line selection
  • Ctrl + Click for Go To Definition
  • Colorized Parameter Help

Enjoy!

(Right-click and Zoom to view in full screen)

posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 12:18 AM Print
Comments
# re: Visual Studio 2010 Pro Power Tools Screencast
Elkhan Yusubov
6/11/2010 1:25 PM
Very useful and cool posting.
Thanks Steve !
# re: Visual Studio 2010 Pro Power Tools Screencast
G. Andrew Duthie
6/14/2010 9:43 AM
Nice video, Steve. The Power Tools extension is indeed useful...good job showing it off!
# re: Visual Studio 2010 Pro Power Tools Screencast
Semil
6/18/2010 1:59 PM
Was all these the features you showed here dotNET specific ?
What about the c++ developers ?
# re: Visual Studio 2010 Pro Power Tools Screencast
Steve
6/18/2010 4:28 PM
@Semil - I believe all these features are available for C++ projects as well.
# re: Visual Studio 2010 Pro Power Tools Screencast
Rajeev Nair
7/21/2010 11:03 AM
I am trying to contact for a speaking opportunity in Harrisburg PA Code Camp. Could you please email me at rajeevg.nair@gmail.com?

My name is Rajeev Nair, BTW.

Thanks,
Rajeev
# re: Visual Studio 2010 Pro Power Tools Screencast
Bernhardt Lindner
4/1/2011 11:16 AM
Nice screencast. I working currently on on visual studio project for my jagdwaffen site in order to improve the features and was looking for some good tutorials. The screencast was useful to get a deeper understanding. Thanks, Bernhardt

Title *
Name *
Comment *
Verification

View Steve Michelotti's profile on LinkedIn

profile for Steve Michelotti at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Google My Blog