Posts
208
Comments
1144
Trackbacks
MVC 2 in 2 Minutes!

In a couple of recent Code Camps, I’ve given my presentation: Top 10 Ways MVC 2 Will Boost Your Productivity. In the presentation, I cover all major new features introduced in MVC 2 with a focus on productivity enhancements. To drive the point home, I conclude with a final demo where I build a couple of screens from scratch highlighting many (but not all) of the features previously covered in the talk. A couple of weeks ago, I was asked to make it available online so here it is. In 2 minutes the demo builds a couple screens from scratch that provide a goal setting tracker for a user.

MVC 2 features included in the video are:

• Template Helpers / Editor Templates
  • Server-side/Client-side Validation
  • Model Metadata for View Model
  • HTML Encoding Syntax
  • Dependency Injection
  • Abstract Controllers
  • Custom T4 Templates
  • Custom MVC Visual Studio 2010 Code Snippets

The complete code samples and slide deck can be downloaded here: Top 10 Ways MVC 2 Will Boost Your Productivity.

Enjoy!

(Right-click and Zoom to view in full screen)

Click here for Direct link to video

posted on Saturday, May 22, 2010 7:45 PM Print
Comments
# re: MVC 2 in 2 Minutes!
Michael Cullina
5/23/2010 7:52 PM
Steve, The sample code fails to compile on VS 2010 on a missing reference to Microsoft.Data.Objects on Microsoft.Data.Entity.CTP. I just took a minute to look, but I guess this would be a breaking change to the final version of VS 2010. I might try to figure it out the substitutions needed, but I don't have time right now. I don't really want to add the CTP into my "post-CTP" world.
# re: MVC 2 in 2 Minutes!
Steve
5/23/2010 9:16 PM
@Michael - Sorry about that - it's fixed now. I moved the assembly into the local lib folder and referenced it from there so the solution is totally self-contained with no need for you to run any CTP installer. Go to the link and re-download it and you should be fine. Thanks.
# re: MVC 2 in 2 Minutes!
Wallace Middleton
5/24/2010 7:30 AM
Steve, I really enjoyed your presentation at Richmond Code Camp last Saturday and appreciate your contributions to the developer community (the tick-toc bit at the end rocked too ;-)). Like last years code camp, I'm looking forward to implementing many of the ideas/approaches you've presented for solving problems in ASP.NET MVC. Keep up the great work!
# re: MVC 2 in 2 Minutes!
Matt Slay
5/27/2010 2:28 PM
I'd rather here voice overlay explaining what is going on. All that rapid music with rapid mouse moves and the screen zooming in and out all over the place is just too hard to keep up with when you are trying to learn something.
# re: MVC 2 in 2 Minutes!
Steve
5/27/2010 2:48 PM
@Matt - I'll be presenting the *entire* presentation at the NOVA code camp in a couple of weeks: http://novacodecamp.org/
# No video, just audio. The direct link is the same. Oops
Joey
11/4/2010 11:42 AM
Can someone please fix it? :-)
# re: MVC 2 in 2 Minutes!
Steve
11/4/2010 2:35 PM
@Joey - It views just fine. Make sure you've got the Windows Media Player plug in installed and is not being blocked.
# re: MVC 2 in 2 Minutes!
Roni
1/7/2011 5:21 AM
Wow Dude... Really very fast

Title *
Name *
Comment *
Verification

View Steve Michelotti's profile on LinkedIn

profile for Steve Michelotti at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Google My Blog