Peter Stathakos posted yesterday about Gmail, and I thought I'd continue the discussion about Windows Hotmail Live (or whatever it's now called).  Since you get to it from the URL mail.live.com, I always think of it as "Windows Mail Live" so I can type the right URL.  It's definitely been improving over the past few months, especially in terms of speed.  And I think the bug in IE7 with multiple windows popping up has now been fixed.  But compared with GMail I find it lacking.  Here's the stuff ordered by importance that keeps me from using the web interface:

• Doesn't automatically show you new incoming email like GMail does.
  • The spam filter often ditches legitimate messages, so it's not worth using the filter at all.
  • Plagued with advertising.  The main page has stupid irrelevant FOX-type news and sometimes ads with streaming video.  I came for my email, not drivel.
  • Doesn't automatically save drafts when you're composing mail

For these reasons I still use Outlook Express to pick up my Hotmail.  And thus have to keep an XP machine around since you can't use OE on Vista.

I haven't had many outages on GMail, but I have heard (very rare) of some few folks that unexpectedly lost all their email.  It may be a Firefox security issue not related to Google, but nonetheless it's always good to have a backup of the important stuff.

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

lorin -- check out http://get.live.com/betas/maildesktop_betas for a client other than outlook express -- it is actually pretty good and has integrated rss capabilities as well 5/3/2007 12:53 PM | timheuer

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

Wow Tim Heuer, you almost convinced me with your url...but not really. I was surprised when i saw i suddenly have Live Mail and they said i wouldnt loose any existing mail, but what do you think? Yes, indeed i lost all my mail, thank you microsoft. Well in fact they were acting like always, promising things that dont come true. You can see, im very disappointed in microsoft. They look like non professionals with a lot of money.

So maybe this contributes to the answer at the question: what is wrong with Windows Live Mail?

5/19/2007 10:14 AM | Gabbah

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

I have not been able to log on to my email since last night and am getting very frustrated. I have tried accessing from different sites, through msnmessenger, etc. I have a mac which has never been a problem but is there an issue with windows live or is it my browser or what??? 6/17/2007 11:37 AM | MaryKathryn

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

What's happening?! I am just up on a new computer and everything was working fine for 4 days and from this morning Windows mail will not let me receive messages....only send them... 6/23/2007 12:09 AM | Joe

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

i just upgraded my msn messenger to the new windows live... since then it has been giving everybody on my list who are online a virus... what's wrong with the new windows live? i've never encounter anything like this before... 9/13/2007 9:36 PM | Jannah

Cant log into my email accounts either... like 4 days alrdy
didnt sign up for nothn.. shits retarded 9/15/2007 3:26 AM | Krussia

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

Hotmail has not worked for almost 3 days - WHAT's THE PROBLEM? Is anyone else having the same problem. Using Safari on my Mac and it keeps redirecting and then saying 'can't open page'. Other mail accounts work fine...HELP! 9/15/2007 5:53 AM | Lisa

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

does anyone out there know why i cant log onto hotmail from any macs yet from pc's or my blackberry i can? Im not computer savvy so can someone tell me if this is temporary or did hotmail get shut down or some shit???????????

adamkuyt@hotmail.com ill get it on my blackberry 9/17/2007 6:26 AM | adam

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

yes my mac does the same thing. i just keep getting redirected when i try to log into my hotmail email account. anybody figured out yet, what i can do about that? 9/18/2007 5:06 AM | Sandra

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

anything up with hotmail today (Nov 16, 2007 Japan time)? 11/15/2007 4:47 PM | K

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

This is just freakin great... I had no problems with my computer until I used System Mechanics 7 to fix all my computer problems and it erased something in my graphics driver so my screens wouldn't work and now my hotmail will not let me check my mail. Don't know if it's related or not, but I can log in, it just won't let me go to my inbox. I can do it on other computers just not mine. WTF??? I keep getting redirected back to the login screen when I click on the inbox. 12/22/2007 9:01 PM | sepherphithamongusfungusponamtul

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

whats right with Live mail...more like the question to be asking..its pathetic 12/23/2007 8:36 AM | Scott

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

well... I figured out what the problem was with my scenario. My firewall setting was blocking cookies that were needed to load the inbox. After changing the settings to permit the cookies, everything has been working fine. 12/23/2007 11:47 AM | sepherphithamongusfungusponamtul

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

I dont know if anyone who's having this problem is using a Apple Mac computer too, but i was having this problem and I went to a website http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272573/en-us that really helped me. goodluck people! 12/29/2007 2:26 PM | nicole

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

I can never send my emails now. I think the problem is too much out sourcing by microsoft with too little supervision. I keep getting the message window microsoft cannot connect you right now....yadda yadda yadda...very fustrating. 2/2/2008 7:31 AM | jerry

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

Hotmail is slower than mollasses at the nort pole.

waiting 5 minutes is awful. do I need to switch to g-mail 2/9/2008 5:23 AM | bb31957

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

Today, 2-26-08 @ 11:38 AM I tried to log into my windows live mail account. At first it appeared like I was suddenly using 56k dialup. After a few mind-numbing minutes of this I was told in Geek-a-nese that Microsoft F***KED up once again. If EVER I am able to get inot my windows live mail account again, I am letting all my contacts no that from that day on I can be reached at my gmail addy. This is RIDICULOUS and has gone on for far too long. And please, if anyone has a notion to advise me to have patience, the answer will be a hearty laugh directly in that persons face (via this method, naturally). I've put up with this for WAY too long and Microsft is NOT responding to my concerns. I would strongly consider diving off the S.S. Microsft before she lists hard to starboard, and breaks deep taking on water. Lifejackets can be found at www.gmail.com. Thank you for flying Microbrain suicidal airlines and have a wonderful day ;) 2/26/2008 4:45 AM | Crasher_Dave

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

Yesterday it was slow logging in to hotmail. Today there is not service at all! GRRR.........I may be on the to gmail. 2/26/2008 5:46 AM | jano1

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

I'm SO NOT impressed with live mail! Where's the improvement? I've tried for 4 hours to log into my account and I can't! It says " server unavailable" WTF! 2/26/2008 6:41 AM | LindaD

# A fix: You have to use the Windows Live Mail client!

The online version is freakin' pathetic, so I switched over to using the Windows Live Mail client, available here:

This one works fine. It's basically Outlook Express with a facelift. Haven't had any problems with this. 2/26/2008 7:16 AM | Lorin Thwaits

GGRRRRRRR!!

what is the issue today! i can't log into my hotmail account AT ALL! and if you can't log in (i only get a blank page...no error...no nothing!) you can't e-mail their support! does anyone know that contact info?

2/26/2008 8:21 AM | greyeyedgirl

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

I Really need to use hotmail >.> When are they gonna fix it ?!?! >.< 4/3/2008 11:55 AM | BigDoggy

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

i am trying to use hotmail but cookies keep blocking me how do i solve this problem 4/16/2008 3:54 AM | lynz

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

I've been having problems logging in to hotmail since yesterday on my Mac - i decided to restart my computer this afternoon and hey presto problem solved!!!

6/4/2008 3:31 AM | Wens

Hi, i'm from Indonesia.
A week ago, i can't access my MSn messenger.
also my hotmail.. really2 frustrated with these problem. I have tried many ways to fixed this problem. But it still same, I can't go to microsoft website.. Please, need Anybody to help me..
Also I am using AVG, is that a prboblem ? 7/2/2008 6:57 AM | smurf06

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

It worked fine for me til lunch time yesterday, then I get back, and BAM! your account seems to be missing ...I was like WTF?! kept trying, even tried to reset my password but the irony! oh the irony! let's send you the link to your hotmail address to sort your Hotmail problem :oS

so I typed exactly what everybody else was thinking, and here's everyone else! but do we actually have an answer from the Hotmail team?? WHAT IS GOING ON GUYS?! HOW LONG TIL IT'S SOLVED? are we losing all our details, contact, emails? 8/13/2008 9:38 PM | Al

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

Microsoft is a joke. Hotmail is down all the time. 8/24/2008 3:48 AM | BillGatesSucks

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

Is anyone else having this problem again at the moment? I have not been able to login to hotmail since september 14th (it's now september 17, 2008). I have cleared cache, deleted all cookies, nothing else has changed - same old laptop, OS, (no I don;t use automatic update so windows hasn't updated itself!!) Same old connection - actually 2 of them (work and home). SO ITS NOT ME OR MY MACHINE - IT's BLOODY HOTMAIL!!!!!!!

Anyway, yesterday I snuck in through the live.com frontpage - today not even this is working. Have MS gone broke like the rest of the US and forgotten to tell anyone?

Don't bother emailing me - I won't get it. 9/16/2008 8:31 PM | Robyn Grunberg

# hotmail down yet again 8 oct 2008, this drives me nuts, does anyone know whats gone wrong?

hotmail is down again does anyone know whats wrong or is just my pc??? 8 oct 2008 10/8/2008 5:36 AM | tania levis

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

THis has gone down for me too and cant get in since sunday night? any idea how we can get in or how quick this can be solved?

I am able to go to the hotmail screen and enter email address andpassword but it wont allow me to go any further?? 10/8/2008 6:50 PM | kirsty

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

My Hotmail is down again, late morning 10/14/08 into the afternoon. When I click on Hotmail on the MSN screen is gives me "cannot display page." Does anyone know if it's general and if there's a fix. Thanks. 10/14/2008 6:54 AM | Penny

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

as above...there is now hotmail and nothing can be displayed. I re-set my password and now it doesn't recognise anything and then send HELP to...yep...the hotmail account that i can't get into. Is anyone else unable to get in? or am i being massively spammed or what? 10/22/2008 7:39 PM | treacle

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

What is up with Hotmail? I have been unable to log into my account since yesterday afternoon. My e-mails get pushed to my Blackberry, so i can work from it, but this is a pain. Does any one know who to contact.

10/31/2008 1:35 AM | brett

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

Microsuck has just started a new "facelift" on Hotmail which seems to have made it unopenable. I maintain half a dozen e-mail accounts and I've been watching one after another become useless. Maybe they'll figure it out in time for the next millenium.
11/5/2008 6:55 AM | Damage

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

Why in the world have I not being able to receive emails on my hotmail for 2 days now. This is very frustrating and disgusting. What do I do!!!!!! 11/8/2008 12:56 AM | Twyla

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

Something is definitely wrong. Everyone I know can't access their hotmail. I can't access mine. I go in, see my inbox, then everything fades away. Now "everyone" can't be wrong. We should all stay on Windows Live and hotmail tech support until they fix the problem. 11/9/2008 7:02 PM | moonlightlady339

# i have not been able to my email

my email not openning
11/23/2008 8:39 AM | samer

# there is problem in my email

i can not open my email i donot why not open 11/23/2008 8:43 AM | samer

# no open

my email not open 11/23/2008 8:44 AM | dany

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

Microsoft just plain old sucks. We use Safari and all we get it a blank page when we attempt to navagate to www.hotmail.com or even when we try to get to it through msn.com. Nothing shows up at all and it is a real pain. There is a back way in to check your mail but it is crazy. The only time we did get in, the words were overlapping one another so it was totally useless. When you have a Mac it is so much harder. 11/24/2008 6:19 AM | Mel

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

This is the first time I've not been able to access hotmail, but I see it's been a real problem in the past as well. The blank page thing --- how long does it stay that way? Are they working on fixing the issue for good? 11/25/2008 8:25 AM | Cindy

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

I use my email address as a business address, this is the third day I have not been able to access my email. The page is blank. 11/25/2008 6:46 PM | Deb Haugan

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

dude?! i cant read any of my mails on msn or hotmail watever yhu call it?! i cant even delete or open anything on it. it change! i want the OLD ONE BACKKK I HATE THIS NEW ONE! 1/18/2009 3:10 AM | jeroline

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

Hotmail is hopeless - use to be good but now they have successfully screwed up - change to yahoo or gmail
more reliable 2/1/2009 7:56 PM | Elle

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

I have been trying for 2 days to access my hotmail account! What gives? It won't open? 3/4/2009 12:53 AM | Ron

hot mail still not working 2 days now WHY????? 3/4/2009 6:31 AM | pete

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

I have not been able to open hotmail for days! What is the problem?????? 3/5/2009 1:16 PM | Traci

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

I RELY ON MY HOTMAIL, IM RETIRED AND ITS PART OF MY DAILY LIFE, I READ SCRIPTURE ETC AND KEEP IN TOUCH WITH MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS. I HOPE YOU CAN CORRECT THIS PROBOLEM IN A TIMLY FASHION. 3/12/2009 4:46 AM | m j

# Major issues

Hotmail has been becoming more and more unstable, in terms of inability to get into my account, in terms of hotmail closing messages suddenly which I'm composing, in terms of my starting type an email address and it suddenly goes back to the main mail screen. Ads are distracting. I think people will eventually leave hotmail for good. I am as of 3/12/09. JZ 3/12/2009 5:16 AM | JZ

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

I have been using the same hotmail account now for years and i have had no problems with it. i see tons of users crying and complaining about it when they need to realize that 1: its a free service so be thankfull of that and 2: 99% of the problems users have are not due to Microsoft they are I D 10 T errors. If you dont know how to use your computer then unplug it and kick rocks, or maybe you would be mad that the rock dont roll the way you want! 3/12/2009 5:32 AM | MCP

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

havent been able to open hotmail for over a week. getting really tired of this is this fixable or not. tired of waiting karon 3/12/2009 8:08 AM | karonlynn

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

i havent been able to open, delete, send or anything on hotmail account i am 1500 miles from home.. iam am not getting any response from hotmail tech or solutions....any one have an idea whats up? i notice msn page is also not displaying correctly 3/18/2009 11:24 AM | sherry

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

not only can I not open my hotmail.....when I sign in, it keeps locking up my internet...shutting it down. I am getting multiple errors such as, Internet explorer has encountered a problem ...blah blah All I wanna do is read my mail. 3/19/2009 7:24 AM | Rachael

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

yes me too, except when i go to hotmail it just keeps saying error, or invalid.. i cant even get to the log in page.. very frustrating, does anyone know whats going on? 3/30/2009 12:51 PM | chelsie

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

i haven't been able to access my account in several days and the same thing happened last week. what is going on? this is horrible for business and personal business. please fix asap!!!! 4/4/2009 12:32 PM | dee

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

Im pretty upset too, nobody panic. I am sure something will be fixed and tomorrow you will wake up and everything will work. I need it too, but why would they take it away from you. Maybe they needed to disconnect a few days to make it better. Hopefully it will benefit all. Good luck.

4/9/2009 4:17 PM | Michael

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

I"m also having problems I'm thinking I"m going to switch to gmail altogether! This is rediculous. 4/9/2009 4:17 PM | Marci

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

Cra...ppy.... I can't get in, and have to view very important documents!!! Methinks I may too switch to Gmail...
HEY LIVE... GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER, OR YOU WILL GO DOWN THE TUBE!!
4/9/2009 4:59 PM | leslie

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

For two + weeks now Windows Hotmail has been "Dead and Coldmail". Hello, "anybody home up there in Redmond"? Does Bill need bailout from Big Daddy "O".
Hey talk to us ,tell us something more than it's just "temporary. This recession is only temporary
too,but it's working itself out faster than your
stupid Hotmail delima. It should be obvious to all in the MSN Ivory Tower that we have started new e-mail accounts elsewhere as well as selecting a different browser ie. Yahoo,Google,Mozilla etc.
all of which have their ymail-gmail and Thunderbird
mail service. So, a few kind words from you. Or some last choice words from us. What do you say?. 4/14/2009 6:25 AM | Craig S.

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO GET IN MY HOTMAIL FOR 2 1/2 DAYS NOW. WHY AND WHAT IS THE TROUBLE? IT JUST KEEPS SAYING PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER.I WANT SOMETHING THAT IS GOING TO WORK IF I PAY FOR IT. 4/17/2009 5:03 PM | vicki

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

Why can't I receive Hotmail? I have tried everything, but nothing works! 4/18/2009 7:35 AM | ROBERT DUVALL

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

What is with hotmail?! I can't get to my emails at all! It lets me sign in and thats as far as it goes! It just goes to a weird page with links that don't do anything.. And i have important emails that i need to read about college assignments! :/ Helppp. 5/4/2009 11:13 PM | Jen

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

timeouts. lame and unspecified. glad i only use hotmail to field spam
5/5/2009 5:40 PM | courtneyo

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

I think its back up and working again...
I can check my email now... 5/13/2009 2:00 PM | sharon

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

I put my email and password in and my computer keeps trying to go to the hotmail part but keeps clicking and will not go to the mail page? Is there something wrong with the hotmail mail page? 5/22/2009 5:43 AM | tracy

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

This darn window live mail has been hit and miss for three days now ... mostly miss. 6/11/2009 5:24 PM | John P

Is Hotmail still working or what? 6/15/2009 9:27 AM | david

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

What's going on with it now! I have a business to run and I haven't been able to open my mail since 2pm yesterday! Haven't they heard of giving someone a heads up!? I better not lose any business because of them! 9/11/2009 5:21 AM | Aurora

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

Since I change for the new version of windows mail live, I have had problems signing in. It doesn't find the address or the server......I never had problems before. I'm desperate!!! Does anyone know whats going on? 9/28/2009 4:46 PM | Mercedes

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

i am now trying this in f150 wow what adifrence 11/8/2009 11:46 PM | DDos Protection

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

Dp not like the format...I do not like change...am 78 years of age and do not like change.......Please let me get back to Mail live....... 1/20/2010 5:47 PM | Darlene

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

What is wrong with it now alright !! - Im getting pretty pissed of with it too ! - I used to use Windows Mail ( and linked it to my POP3 account ) ..BUT GUESS WHAT - when you use WIN7 - they dont have it ! - VISTA does - WIN 7 doesnt ..Soo I now use what was recomended by MS...Windows Live ...and have been for a long time now ..and its ALWAYS crapping out . Friggin joke ...Email servers up / down / up / down ...When is windows going to come out with a program that is JUST for POP3 accounts ONLY . Like MAIL ...and have it so you can use it in VISTA & WIN 7 ....I dint ask for VISTA - I was told I HAD TO HAVE IT ...and when I got the chance to get away from it ...You guessed it - youre kinda gonna have to make some sacrifices ...What with ..EMAIL ??? WHY WHY WHY . 3/29/2010 8:44 PM | Stu McLeod

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

I have not been able to sign into my hotmail in over 3 days. However my @live.com address seems to be working fine. I don't know but I have a lot of account linked to my main hotmail account. I'm upset. 5/15/2010 10:17 AM | Josh

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

i can't get into my mail it has changed and not responsive. tells me i did not give the right password, and i have a short cut on my desk top i always use . always works until a couple of days ago. it says it is up dating and try again later ...help i have a sister i need to keep in touch with she is very ill and this is our way...what is the problem..... i don't need a pword,haven't used it for mail in years why now... 7/28/2010 4:56 PM | kandi jane

# re: What's wrong with Windows Mail Live (aka Hotmail)

Never know when it is possible to send mail. I removed Norton AntiVirus and that worked for a few days and now the problem is reoccurring. One email may make the trip and the next one won't. Could Vista be the problem> 8/13/2010 8:41 AM | howard