Sams Silverlight 2 Unleashed (was: Teach Yourself Silverlight in 24 Hours)

My editor at Sams (hey Neil :)) and I decided to convert the book I am almost done writing into an Unleashed. There are multiple reasons for that, the most important being that the book addresses multiple audiences, and has a broad range of coverage, which is typical of the Unleashed series. The content goes enough in depth (according to Neil) to be placed in the Unleashed series.

Read the rest of this entry »

Print | posted on Monday, September 1, 2008 10:20 PM

# re: Sams Silverlight 2 Unleashed (was: Teach Yourself Silverlight in 24 Hours)

left by Darren at 9/2/2008 8:05 AM Gravatar
It's funny how reading your blog makes one feel closer to you and more likely to buy your book ;) Looking forward to it...

left by Laurent at 9/2/2008 8:31 AM Gravatar
Hey Darren,

:) Well I am happy to read your comment. Honestly it's why I love to blog and to read blogs, it makes you meet tons of amazing people and you start knowing them better. I hope you'll like the book.

Greetings,
Laurent

left by Chad Carter at 9/2/2008 2:54 PM Gravatar
Welcome to the Unleashed family! I'm jealous that yours is going to be printed in color by the way :)

left by Daze at 9/10/2008 4:05 PM Gravatar
Et hop, pre-ordered from Amazon and signaled the error with the title at the same time !
I have to say that I'm really interested by Silverlight technology but as a windows application programmer I must admit that I still not understand clearly how Silverlight can communicate with the server. I read about web services but I don't know if it's the only solution to achieve this (for example how could I retrieve images form a db from Silverlight, how could I allow a user to register is name/password to a db ext.)
I hope you will develop this aspect in your book. Salutations.

left by Laurent at 9/11/2008 3:31 AM Gravatar
Thanks, and I hope you'll like it. I am finalizing the text right now, and I think you'll find what you're looking for. I cover WCF communication (with a username/password example by the way :)) as well as other means of communication. Hope it will help you. Don't hesitate to get back to me with comments, and I can cover additional topics in this blog!

Tu habites où?

Greetings,
Laurent

left by Daze at 9/11/2008 12:11 PM Gravatar
It will be my pleasure to give you my opinion about your book!

Je suis originaire de Nice mais malgré un diplôme d'ingénieur, une grande motivation et une année de recherche acharnée je n'ai trouvé aucune opportunité de carrière en France. J'ai donc décidé de tenter ma chance en Italie où j'ai très vite trouvé un emploi malgré la faible maitrise de la langue et je m'y suis installé de façon définitive.

Cordialement

left by Dexter McCloud at 7/23/2009 10:44 AM Gravatar
Hey Laurent,

I am a newbie in the SilverLight world. I am a asp.net/C# developer as part of my background. The company I work for has web products that use video. So, we are looking at converting our web applications to Silverlight. Thus my interest.

Do you have a timeframe for updating your Unleashed book to Silverlight 3?

Thanks,

Dexter

left by Web developers at 10/8/2009 2:30 AM Gravatar
That was an inspiring post,

wow its great.. i need to get a paper copy of that book..

Thanks

left by Software Development at 1/9/2012 10:36 PM Gravatar
Thanks for the update. I think this is great and you'll see me on Amazon.com soon.
Comments have been closed on this topic.