Posts
149
Comments
1871
Trackbacks
MacBook AirPort and wireless router 64-bit WEP key

I spent a while trying to figure out this problem so I thought I'd post this tip to help others who may have the same issue. The problem I had was trying to connect a MacBook to a wireless router which uses 64-bit WEP key. The AirPort prompt on the Mac wasn't very helpful, giving only 3 options for WEP key (WEP Password, WEP 128 bit HEX and ASCII). I chose WEP Password and entered the 64-bit WEP HEX key and unbeknownst to me, Mac did not understand this key and cannot connect to the wireless router. Eventually I discovered the syntax to enter this key, thanks to the article below, to get the WEP Password prompt to understand the 64-bit HEX key you have to precede the key by 0x. This I thought is very counter-intuitive, considering Mac's reputation for the ease of use of their OS.

HOWTO: Configure wireless with 64-bit WEP on Mac OS X

posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 10:19 PM Print
Comments
# re: MacBook AirPort and wireless router 64-bit WEP key
Connie
7/1/2008 12:07 PM
yay i was trying to figure out how to add my macbook to my router for the loongest time ever! and i did this and it absolutely works. thank you so so much!!
# re: MacBook AirPort and wireless router 64-bit WEP key
HappyMac
2/28/2009 1:18 AM
Thank you! My new MacBook chokes on 128-bit connections -- this tip is a godsend!
# re: MacBook AirPort and wireless router 64-bit WEP key
margotdarby
3/7/2009 7:36 PM
Yes, this worked but it was not obvious. I have four Hex keys in my 64-bit WEP security, as well as a password. I kept trying the password, but it wouldn't take. Finally I tried the FIRST Hex key. It worked. Why that, and not another? Do they all work? And why did I have Google a few times to find this solution?
# re: MacBook AirPort and wireless router 64-bit WEP key
binky
3/30/2009 4:56 PM
thank you ! been trying to figure this one out for a while, it is a real riddle !!
# re: MacBook AirPort and wireless router 64-bit WEP key
Dan
6/15/2009 1:31 PM
I tried all of the above as well and thought I was good to go...not so fast my Apple Geek friends... my router is using key 3 instead of the default key 1 setting. the airport doesn't let you change that anywhere that I can see in airport utility or when setting up the connection... to confirm this, I switched my router to use Key 1 and used the corresponding 128 bit key...worked great...but, I don't want to use key 1 !!
how can I change which key it's looking for in the airport utility?
# re: MacBook AirPort and wireless router 64-bit WEP key
Robster
3/31/2010 5:48 AM
Wow, saved me boatload of troubleshooting!
THANKS!!
# re: MacBook AirPort and wireless router 64-bit WEP key
360 North, Tv Channel
12/7/2010 4:51 PM
I love to remain in touch with IT industry. Because in this era of advance technology we cannot live without IT and products related to it.This is authentic source of gathering info related to studies. There are only few websites that provides info related to studies. This is the best one. Thanks for this post.
360 North, Tv Channel
# re: MacBook AirPort and wireless router 64-bit WEP key
greenville sc newspaper
1/6/2011 4:35 PM
This is very informative article.Keep your efforts up. I hope to have next post soon with same info and quality as well. Thanks for this nice, valuable, wonderful and informative addition.
greenville sc newspaper
# re: MacBook AirPort and wireless router 64-bit WEP key
papa johns locations
7/21/2011 7:24 PM
yes, i am agree, This is very informative article.

Title *