Posts
149
Comments
1871
Trackbacks
The XPS file format

This is Microsoft’s new electronic paper format, an alternative to the PDF format. Office 2007 supports 'Save As' to both of these formats via Add-ins, download 'Save As PDF or XPS' here.

For more details on the XPS file format, see Jeff Bell's blog post:

Unlike the Office Open XML Formats, XPS does not attempt to capture the full structured richness of an Office document. As an electronic paper format, it is all about a high fidelity representation of the output only. Because of this, creation of an XPS document from Office is a one-way, export operation.

Update: 6th December 2009

As there seems to be a lot of interests in the XPS file format by Microsoft, I thought I would add more details and useful links to this blog posting.

How do I open a XPS file? / How do I create XPS file?

XPS Viewer comes preinstalled with Vista and Windows 7, for older OS you need to download the XPS Viewer here http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/viewxps.mspx

Useful tip 1:

Save a web page as a single .XPS file

prerequisite: XPS Document Writer - allows "Print to file" to save a webpage as a XPS file. If you are not running Vista or Windows 7 then you either need to install .Net Framework 3.0 or XPS essential pack.

I use this method when I can't save a web page as a html/mht format, usually you know when a web page cannot be saved as html when you get the following warning dialog box:

Method to save a webpage even if you see this dialog.

So instead of trying to save as html/mht, I would do a "print to file" using the Microsoft XPS Document writer printer driver. Printing a webpage works more often than saving a webpage. Long gone are the days when you have to take ridiculous number of steps to create a PDF file, this method of saving to XPS does not require Adobe Acrobat Distiller, GhostScript etc. as the webpage you see gets saved directly to XPS file which can be opened and printed later using a XPS viewer such as IE7.

Save webpage as XPS file by printing to XPS Document writer

Clicking on print allows you to save the displayed webpage as a XPS file.

Printing to XPS Document Writer is like "Print to file" operation

Now you can open the XPS file for later printing in your favourite XPS viewer application such as IE8:

Webpage in XPS file format for later printing

posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 9:17 AM Print
Comments
Per
4/19/2007 4:43 AM
I don't think this .xps makes the life better and easier...
Use PDF
4/19/2007 3:58 PM
Is there a point to using XPS over PDF? XPS is not portable.
lulz
5/10/2007 5:32 AM
xps is stuck into ms, pdf isn't by default
Bon Jovi
5/15/2007 1:48 AM
xps sucks ass
Jamcaan
5/28/2007 5:08 PM
what a terrible file xps! this is not the files we used to used to know
tatopolos
5/28/2007 8:54 PM
Very poor, and I hope it will not get success between ignorants
CodeHulk
5/31/2007 12:02 PM
On the contray, xps is portable. Its xml. It is not widely supported right now but will be soon. It is going to make my life a lot easier, I was charged with the task of automating the conversion from an office document to PDF on a server which causes lots of trouble. I can convert it to XPS much easier. And if you don't like this format than you should send your concerns to adobe as there new mars project is based on the same ZIP, XML concept.
Curt
6/11/2007 2:28 AM
How do you read a .xps file? I've installed Office 2007 and I'm trying to read an .xps, but I keep getting errors that the file is unreadable.
cikka
6/13/2007 4:13 AM
i have some work which was saved on XPS by mistake and i need to add on to it...how can i do that?????
richardlpalmer
7/6/2007 9:32 AM
You can't add on to an xps document. The whole point is that it's NOT the full doc/docx file, it's just what the final file looks like. So instead of having all the formating, tabulature, etc. data being stored in the file, it's simply the look of the final file (this is the very definition of electronic paper).

Think of it like an ezine page. You can't "add on" to an ezine page -- it's just a piece of electronic paper. You'd need the source files that created that page (Illustrator, Quark, etc.). But that file might be huge! However, in pdf/xps format it would look perfect and be quite small.
mssupporter
7/16/2007 7:37 PM
Ive tried it and it stinks. Its is decent with microsofts own products, but thats it
Elamae
7/26/2007 6:33 AM
So XPS is strictly for viewing how a document would look if it were printed but is not editable in any way. It can be output to a printer-- is that correct? So if someone wanted to change the document they would have to go to the source file. What if the XPS document were printed and then scanned back to my PC. Is there any way I could edit it then , perhaps by associating it with the original application that created it?
Alan White
7/31/2007 8:13 AM
There is a XPS file viewer on Microsoft web site (XPS Viewer EP)
Go on !
Paul Elrick
7/31/2007 11:58 AM
Is there a good method of organizing hundres of .xps files into a data base?

Spoof
8/7/2007 12:02 AM
thanks for the info!
vinod
9/25/2007 7:16 AM
thanx 4 de in4mation
Craig
9/26/2007 2:55 AM
If it's xml, how come I need a special reader? It's not xml cause if it were, I could open it up in notepad and read the markup - so it's NOT xml. Also, it's bad enough forcing another format on us, but to put together articles with code downloads and to find a readme.xps file is simply stupid. So microsoft has you guys forcing us to adopt this when all we wanted to do was look at any special instructions before installing a code sample. It stinks. And for you guys to be a part of it, makes it stink even more. Case in point: http://blogs.msdn.com/mwinkle/archive/2007/01/24/tracking-objects-and-querying-for-them.aspx

I deleted the archive and did not install the sample after being forced to download another tool to read the readme file. I moved on to other samples by people not on the blogs.msdn sub domain as I fear you guys will never be objective. I should have known better.
# I Give It Time
Clinton Gallagher
10/11/2007 4:21 PM
There is support for vector file management in the XPS specification. This will mean people who work with CAD can have documents that are resizable at runtime which drastically effects productivity.

For example parts of the document can be printed at 1/8" = 1'-0" and another at 1/2" = 1'-0" noting both architectural and engineering units are supported in both English and Metric systems.

This is a big deal for some people. Even though Adobe has years of experience and existing products I'm working with them right now and they are no picnic nor is writing code for fillable PDF a picnic either.

Someday Microsoft will supercede PDF as they know how to architect languages and applications better than most other vendors and this applies to Adobe. But in the meantime? Yup, its really FUBAR
Ryan
10/27/2007 7:02 PM
tnx a lot guys for the great info.
Rowan
11/8/2007 6:01 PM
If your default browser is Firefox an interesting thing will happen when opening an .xps file...it will keep opening new tabs untill your memory runs out, and if you try to close Firefox it will open it up again and start the tab opening process.
Madison
11/21/2007 4:21 AM
Craig wrote: "It's not xml cause if it were, I could open it up in notepad and read the markup - so it's NOT xml."

XPS files are actually ZIP archives that contain XML files. Just change the ".xps" to ".zip" and open it to see the XML.
Tony Walton
11/30/2007 4:24 AM
Get a MAC. You can print anything directly to a .PDF by default! Just part of the brilliance of MAC ;)
Gtec
1/2/2008 2:30 AM
Use another simple software, like primoPDF. It is free and you can print in a PDF file wich is better and portable.

XPS sucks!
kiran
1/9/2008 6:38 PM
which is the tool reqd to open this .xps
brooktrout40
1/22/2008 10:01 AM
WHY CAN'T I PRINT MY XPS FILE!!!?????!!!!!!!!!
i NEED EMITOCONS TO FITFULLY EXPRESS MY COMPLETE DISAPPOINTMENT IN TECHNOLOGIES INEPTITUDE. hOW DOES IT WORK????????????
mosaic
1/31/2008 9:11 PM
In a pure MS environment, XPS might help to saveg space when archiving documents - at least in the short term, until MS stops supporting it ... :o)
My mcp transcript is available as a 500KB XPS file, and a 10MB PDF file - quite a difference.
ASH
2/11/2008 1:14 PM
How do I print an xps file? How do I convert an xps document to Word to make my life easier? Somehow, someone turned all my Word documents to XPS documents and I am in trouble now. How do I delete this thing from my computer? Help!
Spenser
2/28/2008 3:28 AM
I concur, this sucks. Why not .pdf? Oh yeah, MS doesn't own Adobe...
EJ
3/7/2008 7:17 AM

Good info
Betty
3/10/2008 10:11 AM
I am trying to save a microsoft word document and it keeps wanting me to save it in .xps which I have never heard of until now. How do I get back to saving in microsoft word?

Thanks
Dan
3/18/2008 12:10 AM
Guys...stop whinning.... this is....the future!
You can create an xps, add doc, jpeg, tiff files to it programaticly, you can add metadata(has more features than pdf/a), which is very good for a document register, and if you have more different files you can create one xps and print it easy from code, you don`t have to do a different type of print for every type of file
Just Me
3/23/2008 3:16 PM
What was wrong with the Microsoft Image writer/viewer application?

If they need to change the underlying file to XPS (XML), then fine add it to the list with .MSI and .TIF
mhadheb
4/6/2008 12:37 AM
XPS !!!!! it's no need.
Juan Valle Lisboa
4/14/2008 7:55 AM
Another attempt by Microsoft to become a monopoly. Do yourself a favor and use linux. If you want wysiwyg applications use Openoffice, which has an xml format that is open an public and neat, and you can create your own pdfs. Otherwise, latex is much better than wysiwyg and you can get professional printing, once you're accustomed to it.
cc
4/21/2008 11:54 AM
The only reason for xps is MS greed... don't buy it, it is not meant to make your life easier... it's meant for ensuring MS control over your office resources and furthering its monopoly.

I agree, switch to Linux and don't let yourself be manipulated by MS...
# WARNING: Ignorant Comm. at Critical Mass
RocksTar
4/24/2008 8:44 PM
For the XP-peeps: MS says "...get started with XPS documents in earlier versions of Windows...To learn more about the features of XPS: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/xps.mspx ..."
The following (albeit, Microsoft rhetoric) is a perfectly valid statement, and IMHO, quite encouraging: The XML Paper Specification itself is platform independent, openly published, and available royalty-free and Microsoft has integrated XPS-based technologies into Microsoft Windows Vista operating system and the 2007 Microsoft Office system. Microsoft brings additional document value to its customers, partners, and the computing industry through the XPS-based technologies.

Yo, have you ever heard of something called the Acrobat Reader? Did THAT software come w/ your box? Hmmm? Tell me about the last time you received a PDF which, with a few mods of your own (e.g. images, new Form components for collecting sample data) you were able to initiate an important survey campaign in your next mailing, all with zero software investment, start to finish-- all an afternoon's work.
That's a tale, I believe, many of us would like to hear. No? :-)

Neither men, nor gods might accomplish said task under current *nix, X-Server 'wares -- even 15 years since the PDF's introduction, I expect the Penguins who know, know to save their breath.

Great commentary on a hot topic is beautiful. It's the chants from the bandwagon, so many misdirected which frightens me.
# re: The XPS file format, PDF, & Adobe
RocksTar
4/24/2008 9:22 PM
"...I know young boys, they all want to be Bad,
dont think it's better to be a genius..."
-- Perry Ferrell

Educate Thyself, for thyself, by thyself, so that thinking too will be done by thyself. Afterward, please consider sharing any convictions you might then own unto thyself.

Because modularity, scalability, and extensibility shall dictate who will rise, and who is doomed to fall, Our Future, inherently, may leave no place for NIH Syndrome (and its variations).

Try to think beyond Google-- don't search through "Labs"-- be your OWN "lab". Embrace, and MASTER what those whose resources can put before you. Take these tools, usher in something new, and thus the process repeats...

(sorry for the dual post, but i wanted to share that URL. Enjoy.)
mikko
7/26/2008 12:58 AM
xps!! got a hard time on this one..
mister
7/27/2008 1:51 PM
is there any way to change the format of the XPS file?
jkim
7/28/2008 4:30 AM
We do PDF surveys all the time. it takes our admin , oh 5 minutes to set one up. You spent ALL AFTERNOON to make a survey with XPS? So you could save the $150 price of Acrobat Pro? ROFL.

And to the MCP guy with a 10Mb PDF, and 500k XPS - Microsoft does that on purpose to show you how 'superior' XPS is. Open your PDF, print it using (Free) cutepdf and the file will shrink down to, oh, about 500k...

If MSFT can include XPS writer in XP, why can't they include a viewer?

PDF: Open, free, easy.
XPS:open until we say it is, free unless we change our mind, easy as long as you are 100% microsoft top to bottom - and everyone you email is as well (no firefox, no yahoo email...)
and they are all on Vista...

WCWedin
8/5/2008 3:17 AM
"Oh yeah, MS doesn't own Adobe..."

Actually, MS was going to build PDF support directly into Office 2007, but Adobe sued them for it -- Adobe was making too much money selling Acrobat Pro. MS still offers this ability, but as a separate download. Who's the greedy, evil corporation here? Both of them. And yet, they both produced comparable e-paper standards and submitted them for ISO standardization. What are you complaining about?
tuldok89
9/9/2008 12:00 AM
Compared to the PDF format, XPS sucks. One disadvantage is that XPS files are so damn big compared to PDF. I had a 1MB PDF, when converted to XPS, the file size swells up to 10MB!
CarlB
9/18/2008 4:46 PM
You can use the free Brava reader to open, read, and print XPS files (among others). Get it at:
TW
9/29/2008 3:11 PM
Free Brava reader is definitely the way to go. MS XPS Viewer for XP sucks. All I wanted was an owners manual to view/print and the company rep. sent it as a .xps file. What a nightmare just to view and print with the MS XPS viewer. Had to download a bunch of other BS just to use it and when I tried to print the pages they where cut off and when I tried to resize them to fit the paper the text was too small. I would have preferred a .pdf file but now knowing about Brava, MS can take a long walk on a short pier.
Kate
10/2/2008 12:14 AM
Hi, Two of my work colleagues received an attachement from someone within the company, and it is xps. The computers have gone on the blink, flickering, with small rectangluar black shadows all over the screen. They have tried re-booting it, and are having no luck. One is Vista and one is XP. Can anyone help?
Thanks.
# Here's why I use XPS.
Steve
10/20/2008 9:47 PM
I use XPS because my employer will not allow us to install third-party software on our computers without a very lengthy and usually fruitless vetting process by the IT department. To put CutePDF on my computer I'd have to give the IT department a copy of it and wait for them to "analyze" if it would cause any security issues with our network. Invariably the answer is that, no, they won't allow it on my computer, and then they suggest a pre-approved (non-free of course) option (like Acrobat Pro, for instance) that I can ask my manager to buy for me. Of course, software like that isn't in the department's budget. So, I use XPS because it's built-in to Vista. If I really need to create a PDF I pull out my handy personal laptop from home.
Vesa
10/22/2008 11:36 AM
Totally unnecessary "innovation", which just does not make the life any easier. Why on the earth MS has introduced this kind of a complete nuisance?? They must be sitting on a totally different planet as far as possible from the users of their programs. Size of XPS-file can be even tenfold compared with a PDF-textfile with identical content. That alone is enough to make introduction of this nuisance an idiocy.
Tony Smith
11/8/2008 1:16 PM
this xps file format is absolute rubbish, it doesnt work properly, why microsoft allways complicate stuff without any need, we pay loads of money for microsoft software, they could at least write something that works, for change.
eva
12/6/2008 1:07 PM
I want the messenger
helen
12/21/2008 8:53 PM
Please someone tell me how to convert xps to a word doc. i have no idea how the doc which was a word doc changed to xps....... it is a nightmare.... please help!!!!!
Eric Dijkerman
1/8/2009 3:25 PM
XPS my ass, it really sucks!! I got a small penis of it. Bweghhhh I can't even print the file on a later stadium WTF
Ian Boyd
1/20/2009 6:35 PM
PDF is a closed, undocumted, format. Trying to generate PDF's from code is very difficult; and usually requires hacks and workarounds such as installing a "PDF Prineter". XPS is open, documented, free, and can be generated without forcing the server to have an XPS printer installed.
Dave
1/20/2009 10:33 PM
Nope, PDF is an ISO standard. (ISO 32000). See http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/411/1030411/pdf-approved-iso-32000 for more info (also the wikipedia page for PDF).

And there's no way to open XPS files on Macs or Linux computers ... PDF is everywhere (and what about plain PostScript .ps files???)
Angela
2/7/2009 7:51 PM
I don't like this new format. It does not capture the whole page. All I want is the regular Microsoft Document Imaging.
# The Format is teh Sux!
Craig Milton
2/20/2009 1:32 PM
By nature, all loath all Microsoft products...

This .XPS file format is no different. Advantages would be the ability to 'snap-shot' final output of "whatever" into a compact file for sharing -- it looks Okay, it's small, it does not contain the original data (tables, etc) but frankly, it's not widely used as yet. Adobe Acrobat is possibly the biggest piece of trash out there in the software industry, I think they're trying to take the torch from Microsoft -- it's expensive as Hell and full of bugs, it's bloated, it's fickle.

If you want to create .PDF Documents for an absolute FRACTION of the cost, I highly recommend a product I've found (and since, have purchased over 20 licenses for) called "PDF Factory" -- it's lightning fast, compact and fully featured... It doesn't bog your system down with a dozen hidden tasks, Hell, it doesn't even open a program folder in your start menu! You just print to it as though it were an installed printer and Whammo! Insta-PDF. I love this product! It's written by FinePrint Software, check it out here: http://www.fineprint.com

Izzy
2/20/2009 8:50 PM
So, here is a relatively incompatible new format. At least the software to read it is free... If you also install .NET... As long as you are using some modern flavor of Windows.

So, on my Mac, I cannot read it. Oh, I can unzip it, but there doesn't appear to be a good way to read the internal XML files. Well, I'll just fire up VNWare Fusion (where I have a pristine VISTA running, and crap it up with .NET and other microsloth compujunk. Then I can read it. Oh, and the document is rendered significantly less accurate than a PDF file. Which I can write/read to on my Mac.

Dave
3/2/2009 1:53 AM
The fact is both Adobe and MS are big companies looking to set the standard at the next generation of e-paper. And yes PDF looks like it will be going the direction of XML. So freaking what.

If both corporations have their way eventually their implementation will be proprietary. Both software packages are nothing but bloat. And y'all are bothering to try to figure out which one is better.
duncan williamson
4/4/2009 8:12 AM
XPS must be XML based because XPS stands for XML Paper Specification.

There you go!
Ivan Lozada
5/26/2009 11:54 PM
Can a XPS document be converted to PDF or to Word? And if so, where can I find the software to do this conversion?
j-pop
6/8/2009 5:53 PM
Why does every change you make to make your programs "easier to use" require the download of three other programs and a massive work-around? xps sucks. Ivan asks how xps can be converted to pdf or word, and where he can get the software to do so. Why the hell should he have to do so? When you put out a product and force us to use it, make the damn thing usable out of the box.
john in arizona
6/16/2009 5:13 PM
just tried to get all the bits and pieces for windows so I could view an xps. No Luck.
Par for the frickin windows course. Why not make the os better and forget about making everyone's life harder. jeez. I'm on a windows machine. I don't mind windows. But I do mind not being able to install a viewer for thier stupid crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AG
6/18/2009 5:11 AM
i just explored the .xps for the very first time....not bad...as far as viewing an xps document is concerned my IE8.0 has no problem doing that.
Phil Daniels
6/26/2009 3:36 AM
From a programming perspective XPS can be better than PDF. An XPS file has an internal structure that's document orientated, whilst the internal structure of a PDF owes more to image file formats (if you think about where they come from that's not surprising). So if you are developing a document management system then you'll find XPS offers more flexibility,

But if what's needed is a non revisable faithful rendition of the original document (which possibly is what 90% of end users need) then PDF is more than adequate.

MS Office apps can save a document to both PDF and XPS formats.
reader
7/1/2009 10:04 AM
xps sucks. from every point of view.
# XPS sucks .......if it was decent it would be supported by others
johnny Dickel
7/21/2009 4:12 AM
Another half-baked Redmond Idea.
7/21/2009 1:30 PM
as the previous one answered.. I found generating/converting to pdf is as easy as stealing a baby's lollypop. Can't understand where anyone would have a problem ... anyways I don't like redmond ideas at all... I hate companies trying to tell me how to do my work!
[you may copy this and spread my words ;)]
arush
7/24/2009 8:27 AM
i'm actually chuckling while sitting at my mac. so funny that MS has to try and challenge everything including the universe-standard of PDF. Good luck with that one. ;)
willibn
8/12/2009 10:13 PM
Excel hyperlinks to .xps documents DO NOT work
stinkyplum
8/27/2009 6:52 AM
When I save a Visio chart with hyperlinks to XPS the links still work.
When I save it as a PDF it doesn't.

I find that functionality pretty useful.
Viktor
9/3/2009 3:51 AM
I only recently started using XPS files after using PDF for years. I wish I had discovered this sooner rather than sticking with PDF's.

Don't get me wrong, PDF's are great for what they are intended, but I think XPS is excellent for what it is intended.

PDF's have always been portable to allow editing by people with the correct software, but anyone can change a PDF file file now, there is so much cheap software available, they are no longer secure enough for me.

I need to send a file which I know nobody will edit, such as invoice or other important document. I like this XPS format just because it cannot be edited. It is better (and quicker) than sending a JPG or TIFF image.

PDF will continue to be used for other purposes. I think both formats have their place. Why people have so much against XPS I don't know. Just don't use it if you don't want to, no big deal. I personally think it is good to have choice, and for me XPS fills a function that PDF cannot, with no messing, just a simple click of the print button to the XPS printer driver.. Easy.

For Mac people who complain about not being able to read XPS... Send your complaints to Apple, tell them you want compatibility with XPS, that is what I will be doing. I want my macbook and iphone to read all formats, just like my PC can.
Leonardo De Luca
9/5/2009 6:45 PM
Use Internet Explorer to open xps files
Ben
9/20/2009 5:30 PM
Interesting reading all the bullsh*t published here by fanatic anti-ms people and people with no ideas of their own, but just copying other's ideas without really understanding what they are saying.

PDF standard is available and you can program it yourself...(use for data collection and display)

XPS standard is available and you can program it yourself...(use for data display only)

like my wife says ....The same, just totally different...

I hope XPS gives Adobe cause to clean up PDF, get rid of the junk and make it more programmer friendly as a cross platform electronic display option of data.

We can never have too many choices, so I say .. Thanks Adobe for PDF, Thanks MS for XPS.

I will use whichever one suits my need at the point i need it.

Keith
9/28/2009 4:06 PM
It took me about 3 minutes to google and then download xp viewer EP from microsoft to view the xp files on my computer. Those were generated because I don't have a printer and when printing receipts/documents off a web page I just print to .xps document. Personally, I like it!!
My Name
11/4/2009 9:57 AM
I think that Microsoft can suck me :(
Why they always want everything to be theirs ? Alternative to PDF ?!? WTF? Who the hell asked them to make an alternative to PDF ? Or they seek some other way for to pay for something that we can use for free ? .. this is dumb .. I'm using Linux and I am so so happy now :) ... and at work I'm 99% on Linux .. just need a few more adjustments and I'm 100% on Linux ... screw you Microsoft !!!
PageReader
11/21/2009 7:47 PM
I wrote a text file and saved it. Then I saved it as a xps file. To change it I went back to the text file, saved it, and saved it as xps again.

Just the same process for html and xhtml files. Write .txt file, save it, save as .html then upload and test. Repeat as needed.
Forget about it!
12/17/2009 3:11 PM
I completed an online form for my pension plan. After I submitted it they wanted me to print out a signature page and mail it to them. I don't have a printer, no need for it I thought. So I saved the page by printing to a file, the only option Vista gave me was XPS. I took my disk and thumb drive with me all over the place today for hours and no one had the combination of things required to read my file, Kinko's, Libraries, etc. NO ONE. I can view on my own PC fine but so what.
Barkingdog
2/19/2010 5:17 AM
Is the XPS specification available for download? (I'm talking about a developer- oriented document that describes the XPS file format layout (e.g. header, offsets, data areas..)

Atlanta
4/29/2010 12:32 AM
Thank YOU CarlB 9/18/2008 - comment!
I copied your link to the Bravo Reader - and the XPS file opened perfectly.

The XPS reader does not work on Microsoft XP!

It pays to Google the issue, and read through each - try it - and solves alot of frustration hours!

-Atlanta Professional
Bev - Australia
6/9/2010 12:56 PM
I am using XPS to archive webpages presented to me with colour charts for embroidery files. I am wondering if these documents will not be readable if the website should disappear, i.e. is the information actually held in the document or does it connect back to the website to display all information?

For this purpose I find XPS creates a much smaller file than PDF and I am very happy with the result, except that there is no manipulation of margins, etc. when printing a saved XPS page to the printer. I hope this is on their list to review?!
weekender
6/27/2010 8:42 PM
I find quite ok. All your nonsenses about big file size aren't true. I experienced with Primopdf and XPS writer and the result is 180k for a 4 pages file. Primopdf did the same file with 244k. The files were created from a non MS program (QS STAT).
It's easier than instaling other 2 party software, and many of the free stuff are not intended for company use. For the moment i think it's a useful tool only for vista and w7 users, but in the future.. who knows.
Randallrod
6/29/2010 9:16 AM
Now riddle me this.
I had 1888 email that needed to be all converted to txt Notepad file. I was forced to take batches, "print" them to xps, and then take Adobe`s Combine Supported Files in Acrobat and fuse it into a PDF. Then use Adobe Writer to save it as a txt document. It works like a charm. Problem is I can only do batches of 500 pages or less, or the process becomes extremely slow (1hr or so) My question is, how can I do this in a faster way, because my boss just brought me a file with 88,000 emails !!! HELP!!!
leo
7/3/2010 7:23 PM
What a bunch of retards and cry babies, and most of you should learn how to actually speak and write English.
John Salkeld
7/10/2010 12:35 AM
Which bunch of hair-brained imbeciles invented this file. I have a computer running Windows Vista, an up-to-date printer and yet I can't print documents from my Word Processor - what mindless cretins!
Nallybr
7/29/2010 4:11 AM
I can't print my XPS file. First time I tried, it asked me to save it. I did. Then I went to the file, opened and asked to print... guess what? asked to save again and never print. I happened 10 times now and I am very upset. why is it happening??? how do I print??? I need this today....

Thanks
dON
8/19/2010 2:36 AM
I definitely prefer the .pdf format. I am able to use Adobe Acrobat to make changes and complete fill-ins when sent a file. There is no way to change or "use" an electronic form properly if the fields cannot be completed on-line. With .xps, we can only print out the file and complete by hand, then scan and resend. What a waste of time. I do not think Microsoft intended this file type to be used for forms, but rather to send documents for read-only purposes.
Sunny
9/10/2010 3:34 AM
XPS = CRAP

Whats the point, why do they keep making crap that not compatable with anything elce, these guys should be takin out back, like old yeller!
Jim
9/20/2010 3:23 AM
Well, now that I know what it is, so long xps printing option!
Maria
10/12/2010 12:33 PM
This is true irresponsability given that these problems have been occurring since 2007 and nothing has been done to correct them. This download has deleted all of my format options and I cannot print anything.It has been a true nightmare.
Bill
10/26/2010 2:09 AM
Dont Understand? I downloaded plugin "SaveAsPDFandXPS.exe"
I am using Excel 2007 on XP Pro and I have the option to "Save as" Adobe and XPS no problem! both were just as quick
The adobe is a bit smaller 104KB vs 160KB. Reading the .XPS also no problem, it opens in IE7
So I dont see the problem.

If someone receives / sends a .xps I would think it was not intended to be edited.
stephanie
12/14/2010 5:47 AM
can you scan a article to xps and edit it?
DM in AZ
12/29/2010 5:16 PM
I smell the 'Oh - Just upgrade your system" solution...
again. :-( I got a .xps file attached to an e-mail, I am running win 98 se so .xps unviewable from what I see... another unnecessary 'feature' (aka bug) can sort of see use for an unmodifyable document, but not unuseable... planned / forced obsolescence?

Laurelbrooke real estate
1/8/2011 12:40 AM
I remember reading about the XPS file but didn't give much attention to it then, but now most of the time I work in XPS, it makes things easier to execute.
ugh
3/7/2011 10:11 AM
This is another classic example of microsoft trying to get a foot ahead by cutting their foot off with a rusty hatchet and throwing it as far as they can.
ugh
3/7/2011 10:12 AM
Microsoft hates us and mac thinks we're stupid.
JPDemers
3/27/2011 3:49 PM
All you idiots yammering about how easy it is to save and email this crap: do you care if the person at the other end can see it and print it?

This is classic MicroSchmuck abuse... make it the default, whether anyone wants it or not, ram it down the customers' throats, and use it to force "upgrades" to perfectly functional systems all over the world.
Derek
3/31/2011 6:08 PM
I was searching for how to convert xps to pdf and found www.k2pdf.com. They seem to do a descent job converting to pdf. For those who can't view xps on their Mac, you may want to give it a try. I don't see any nasty logo or trial watermarks so I assume it is free.
Hans
7/1/2011 3:41 AM
My work computer randomly converted some files from word to xps. Now I can't open, read, or work with them. Great job, microsoft. That's why I use a mac at home. Oh, and Bing sucks, too.
jajodo
8/10/2011 1:33 AM
There is a lot to be said for compatibility and PDFs can be read by just about anyone with a computer. This blog has been ongoing for 4 years and xps has not made much progress. Reminds me of the Xerox xif format from the 90s. It was a great format until Xerox stopped supporting it... since then it has been unreadable. Thankfully Xerox did the honorable thing then and provided a batch converter for my hundreds of files.... to pdf format. Otherwise it would have been a disaster for me. My advice... stick with pdf.
robin
8/12/2011 5:31 AM
I didn't think the XPS format was new. I "discovered" it in Win XP.

I noticed it was a print option for PDFs, and decided to give it a whirl. Never used it before but it was great as it allowed editing of PDFs e.g. get a form as a PDF, print it to an XPS, fill it in, print it as a PDF (I used CutePDF) and bingo.

In Win7 the edit options have been stripped out or relocated somewhere I can't find!!? My old XP box blew up and I have had to take "advantage" of the MS "offer I couldn't refuse" to "upgrade" to Win7 (aka have to give up days/weeks/months fitting into my life all the time to reinstall software find alternatives etc etc as well as find where those clever folk at M$ have so thoughtfully hidden all the stuff I used to use!) Having "upgraded" to Office 2007 I now have to uninstakll and install 2003 or else find an entirely new way of working and communicasting. Grrrr
Mark
9/2/2011 7:16 AM
Based on previous suggestions ...
I changed .xps extension to .zip and unsipped the file
I then opened the contents with noitepad as text. and saved as text.

I expect to be able to edit it all I want.

for simple pictures of the document and ease pdf would do.

Often the big challenge for me, has been how to extract the data. This appears to solve that problem.
Arthur
9/5/2011 5:53 AM
Guys & Gals
The XPS format is nothing new, it has been around for a while; but appeared openly in XPSP2, and then emerged in Office 2007, along with save as ".pdf".

It's not a comeptition to redefine the world according to MSFT, or Adobe; but the sponsorship of a technology that will allow corporates to redefine their working culture.

Take a step back, and have a few minutes to think about this ... how many of us are IT Admins ? How many of us know of "data leakage/bleed" by those who are looking to leave the organisation (Sales team members ect) and are powerless to stop this from happening ? - Just how much is this going to cost your company in lost sales ect ?

I'll take that as quite a few then. Looking at it this way, the job of the security team is to turn everything off, but the user wants everything including the bells and whistles turned-on. The problem is that there must be a halfway meet between the business and the security requirements.

XPS delivers this. As an admin you are able to deliver the certificate that allows "given users" the ability to create XPS documents, and to publish them; you also have the ability to enforce reading rights (by group, or individual). This means that a document which has limited distribution can only be read by those with the correct certificate; and should it be delivered to someone else (either internally or externally) then it cannot be read - safeguarding your security, and reducing data leakage/bleed.

Simplistically the document can be created within the MS Office environment and then saved as XPS. In exactly the same manner as you would a PDF.

There is no right, and there is no wrong, PDF has been around for a long time now and XPS is the new tech. This doesn't mean that we drop PDF overnight & start using XPS immediately, it's going to become a transitioned phase where those who use the format will have adopted it for a reason.

Being brutally honest we need to step back and whilst appreciating that we have our own software camps, we need to appreciate the technology with which we are being presented. Much of the problem that we all have is accepting something new, instead of stepping back and asking "if this is what I have today, then what will it be in the future?"

The biggest problem with technology is that it changes, and most of that which we glimpse doesn't really find its feet; but that doesn't mean it's a failure because the technology is often encompassed within something else.

Let us demonstrate that we are professionals & instead of building camps, let's drive technology by providing platform agnostic constructive feedback which will help with the technology adoption, yet mold its future

Grateful for your thoughts

Arfs
HappierNow
9/20/2011 3:58 PM
"On the contray, xps is portable. Its xml. It is not widely supported right now but will be soon". This is a quote from above, posted by CodeHulk on 5/31/2007.

Today is 9/20/2011, and guess what? Today is the first day I've ever heard of the XPS file format, and I used to WORK FOR MICROSOFT!

I guess they blew it (again). :)
vicky
10/6/2011 6:36 AM
How can a xps file be imported in excel 2007?

Please help
Ian
11/20/2011 5:27 AM
Whatever MS clams this is an attempt to suppress nonMS software - part of their anti-free market stance
Ann
1/30/2012 12:03 AM
Going through my list of installed programs today, looking for unused software, I discovered the XPS viewer. Today is January 30, 2012, and I have never used the XPS viewer, or even downloaded any file in this format. So, does anyone actually use it? I mean, I download lots of files all the time, but they are always in the pdf format. Someone said something to the effect that there will be a big XPS takeover some day. And... when will it be?
geebs46
2/8/2012 8:37 AM
One of my concerns is compacting and archiving correspondence as email client software seems to be getting less support these days. So as an alternative to saving stuff in the cloud via my web-browser, I've been doing some research. Printing hard copy is inefficient, whilst printing to PDF seems to use approx 300kb per page of A4, even if there's not much text on the page! So many articles are wanted for their text properties, not graphics:: maybe this is where xps can help . . . I believe the text can be copied into Notepad/equivalent and saved as a txt file. BTW I've yet to prove whether it'll cut the mustard. I do agree MS are guilty of foisting too much on us, Apple users are way too smug, Linux, how many peripheral devices will it work with without resorting to Help forums?
geebs46
2/8/2012 9:09 AM
Just been to my hotmail inbox: printed an email with pics as pdf . . the resulting file (of only text) is only 56kb. I now need to double check what Yahoo's output will be on a similar type of inbox content!
meathead
6/24/2012 1:04 PM
I went round and round with it..I have all the latest and greatest MS software, and nothing can view these stupid files.

Got me a freebie print-to-PDF program...so much for XPS.
Fred
9/16/2012 11:24 PM
The XPS viewer doesn't make it easy to actually locate the xps "printouts" i've made. When I printed to xps in word, I got no dialog box that showed me what the printouts were called or where they were saved! So I have this lovely program that supposedly allows me to view the xps documents....and I can't find them. Browsed all sorts of documentation on this but NOTHING shows where the default location of xps documents might be. Windows search does not find them.
Ravi
2/17/2013 11:14 PM
What cab be the maximum size of an XPS file? Is it limited or unlimited?

Nid
4/10/2014 1:17 PM
I need your help so much to find my parcel where is it now??

Title *