Geeks With Blogs

News

Series

Add to Technorati Favorites


An Archived Managed World This blog has moved to http://www.managed-world.com/blog

[Crosspost from Managed World]

I haven't been able to do much lately because I've been fighting off a cold (to the point where I've had to take time off from work (which I _hate_ doing)).

There hasn't been much progress writing code as I've been busy playing around with Blender. I've been working through tutorials and such to get up to speed with it (so that I can at least put _some_ of my own models in the game (no matter how crappy they may be)). The verdict so far? I like it. When working through tutorials, it really isn't that difficult to learn how to use and is a pretty powerful tool (let alone the fact that it is _free_ which I always love :)).

It hasn't been without its problems though. Mainly, .x file export is borked for me. I have tried using Blender 241 with Ben Omari's Exporter for 241, I've tried rolling back to 237 and using Mindbender's export script, I've messed with every exporter option in the book, and still no luck :(. I've used practically every tip and trick that I can find on the web dealing with this. You see, the problem isn't so much with the .x file, it is when I try to use the .x file in Irrlicht.

The problem is that the model is oriented wrong. When I load it in the DirectX Mesh Viewer, it looks exactly like it does in Blender. However, when I load it up in Irrlicht the orientation is all FUBAR. I understand the difference between the two coordinate systems (as Blender uses a different coordinate system than DirectX and Irrlicht do), and the exporters I use have options to "transform" the model. The steps I still have left to try: 1) install python 2.4 and make sure my PythonPath variable is set (perhaps parts of the export script aren't functional in Blender because of this), 2) rollback from Irrlicht 1.0 to the version I was using before, and 3) trying to fix the exporter script myself (after all, it is just Python code). For now though, I'm putting it on the back burner as I have many other things to do.

So, my foray into modeling, while fun, did contain its own share of hardships. Well it's not like I don't have enough code to write anyways, so I'll just go back to doing what I know I can do :).

I still need to wire up the unit tests for the GameEventParser (basically, "parses" GameEvents from a plain text string (serialization/deserialization)), and the ConsoleModel/ConsoleEntryLine. Usually I would write the unit tests before or with the functionality I'm writing but these classes were ports from a prior project, hence the lack of unit tests. And I'm determined to fix that this time around (you know what I just realized? I certainly use the phrase "this time around" a lot; man, time to get some more phrases to use :P).

I'll probably start coding up the unit tests tonight but won't finish them until tomorrow night or Wednesday evening. Because I have to work during the week (aka "A Day Job"), I probably won't get much done in the evenings. I'm planning that most time spent working on this project will likely be on the weekends. In other words, don't expect too many Tanks updates during the week.

Until next time, remember, don't wait up for me and I'll see you on the flip side :).

 

Posted on Tuesday, May 2, 2006 3:53 AM Game Development | Back to top


Comments on this post: Tanks - Update 3

No comments posted yet.
Your comment:
 (will show your gravatar)


Copyright © Jason Olson | Powered by: GeeksWithBlogs.net