Yesterday I talked about the Browsers we see being used by our readers driven off of our Google Analytics traffic and today I want to share with you the Screen Resolutions we see.
As a web developer most of my life, it is hard to decide how large you should build your application because typically you have a couple huge high resolution monitors on your desk, but you typical end user is thought to have 1024x768. With HTML5/CSS3 out, it is a little better coming up with a design that will scale to all resolutions, but it is still nice to know the numbers when it comes to how much real estate do I have on my clients.
If you look at these numbers for Geekswithblogs.net, we have a lot of high resolution monitors from users that visit the site. After a little more investigation of the number you will notice we do not have as much height available as we do width. If the primary goal of a site is to deliver as much data in the viewable area without scrolling, this becomes a challenge when most of our pages have long pieces of formatted data. So our challenge is to build skins that use up more of the sides of the content toward the top on larger resolution browsers and then entice the reader to scroll to get the goodies embedded in the content of the posts. Going to be an interesting battle for sure, but we really need more skin offerings on the site.
I love Google Analytics! It helps me so much during my day-to-day maintenance of Geekswithblogs.net and our other sites. I can see so much data about our visitors and come up with new ways of delivering more content to our readers so they can really get the most out of our community. Browsers and Browser Versions is a big indicator for me to help decide what we can support and what we need to be testing with. The clear browsers of choice right now are Chrome, IE, and Firefox taking up 94.1%. The next browser is Safari at 2.71%.
What this really brings to my attention besides I better test well with Chrome, Firefox, and IE is that we are definitely missing an opportunity with Mobile devices. We really need to kick up the heat when it comes to a mobile presence with Geekswithblogs.net as a community and the blogs that are on this site. We need easy discovery of new content and easy tracking of what I like. I am definitely on mission to make this happen and it will be a phased approach, but I want to see these numbers changes since most of us have 2 or 3 mobile devices we use for Social activities, but tools are lacking for interacting with technical data besides RSS readers.
Always a bummer when you update a product and something stops working. I am hoping it is an installation issue, but each time I go to run “Publish..” in my Web Application, the publish works, but Visual Studio 2012 crashes.
I just noticed this beginning after I ran the Visual Studio 2012 RC July Updates.
Can someone else give it a go and see if they see the same problem? I am using File System publishing.
One of the features we have been working on is a way to categorize posts without the need of all our bloggers getting on the same page with what categories we have and making them select the categories. Johnny Kauffman, one of our team members at AJI Software, developed what we call the Sherlock Project over the past few months. Sherlock is a category suggestion engine based on the content within the posts.
Now, after a post is published, Sherlock will investigate the content and come up with the suggested categories that content fits in. This will now allow you to go to the specific topics you are interested in and see all the related posts.
This is just the beginning, so many more opportunities will arise now that we have our content organized. One of the first features I will be adding is RSS feeds for each category and sub category. If you are into ALM, we will have a feed for that!
I hope you enjoy these and the engine will continue to get better as we start testing the data. I hope you are as excited about this as I am :D.
I wanted to alert everyone to the new look of the Geekswithblogs.net Community Page. I removed the tabs, cleaned up the posts and fonts, replaced the logo with our brighter logo, and mucked with the CSS and HTML to drive a smaller footprint. With this update, the homepage is now HALF THE SIZE in KBs! I still have some more AJAX calls I want to implement to make the footprint even smaller.
Let me know what you think. I feel it is easier to read through the posts now.