Validating the SharePoint InputFormTextBox / RichText Editor using JavaScript

In the previous post I mentioned about manipulating SharePoint PeoplePicker control using JavaScript, in this post I will show how to validate the InputFormTextBox contol using custom JavaScript function. Here is the nice post by Becky Isserman on why not to use RequiredFieldValdator or InputFormRequiredFieldValidator with InputFormTextbox.

function ValidateComments()
{

//retrieve the text from rich text editor.
    var text = RTE_GetRichEditTextOnly(
"<%= rteComments.ClientID %>");

if (text != "")
    {
        return true;
    }

else
    {
        alert('Please enter your comments.');

//set focus back to the rich text editor.
        RTE_GiveEditorFocus(
"<%= rteComments.ClientID %>");
        return false;
    }

return true;
}

<SharePoint:InputFormTextBox ID="rteComments" runat="server" RichText="true" RichTextMode="Compatible" Rows="10" TextMode="MultiLine" CausesValidation="true" ></SharePoint:InputFormTextBox>

<asp:Button ID="btnSubmit" runat="server" Text="Submit" OnClick="btnSubmit_Click" OnClientClick="return ValidateComments()" CausesValidation="true" />

- Jignesh

posted @ Friday, March 12, 2010 3:06 PM

Comments on this entry:

# re: Validating the SharePoint InputFormTextBox / RichText Editor using JavaScript

Left by ankita at 10/5/2010 3:02 PM
thanks for the article . great help .

Left by Vinodh at 12/17/2010 11:50 AM

Left by Anju at 6/28/2011 1:20 PM
Thanks a lot posting.That saved my day

Left by Praveen Mandalapu at 2/28/2012 1:17 AM
Thanks alot, saved my day..!

Left by John Gregory at 10/9/2012 5:56 PM
I tried using this with a custom list edit form with no real success.
At first I replaced the SharePoint:FormField with the SharePoint:InputFormTextBox and implemented the script to bind the control to the SharePoint list
(ie. __designer:bind="{ddwrt:DataBind('u',concat('ff2',$Pos.....)

When I ran a test, the control appear in the form but the data was not bound.

I then reverted back to the original SharePoint:FormField and tried to bind the validator using the ID of the FormField, however, in SP2010 the ID's are dynamically generated and this would not work.

I would really like to be able to validate this field with the on change or blur events but can't seem to get my hooks into those.

Any Suggestions?