Home Contact

Igor Milovanović

.NET, cats and more...

Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

I have a new Dell notebook with wide screen display at work (dell latitude d810 running on ati radeon mobility X600). This notebook
was shipped with default 120 dpi font size to make the fonts more readable (wide screen display is really cool, but now and than you want to read something on it as well ;-).

Anyway, if you use the default dell settings you may experience the problem with blurry images in Internet Explorer. This effect is due to the automatic scaling in IE6 and above. IE tries to resize the images so that everything looks the same as when everything is at smaller dpi, but does a terrible job at it, resulting in blurry and unreadable images.

Change the following registry setting from 1 to 0 in order to disable this "feature":

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\UseHR

[1] Adjusting Scale to Higher DPI Screens (MSDN)

Monday, January 9, 2006 6:03 PM

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

I also have the 810 and noticed the blurry images in IE.
Switching back 96dpi makes text so small, that reading it is very difficult.

I'll try your suggestion later. Hope this helps. 1/10/2006 6:47 AM | Louis Haussknecht

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

Tried it this morning on a new Inspiron 6000 with the ATI 128 Video card - worked great! 1/28/2006 3:32 PM | KK

Excellent tip - worked a treat on Dell Laptop 2/6/2006 9:09 AM | Podders

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

I need help! I have a new Dell B120 and The picture quality is horrible. Can you help me? 2/6/2006 3:20 PM | Gloria Smith

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

Location on my Inspiron 6000 is different but searching in the registry for UseHR and setting to 0 did the trick 2/9/2006 12:31 PM | gmichel

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

Superb! Worked a treat on my new Dell Latitude D610. Cheers!! 2/13/2006 8:12 PM | DM

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

Tried resetting the scaling, but this did not help. Instead, I reset the font size to Normal(96 dpi), which worked. 4/27/2006 1:45 AM | Trevor

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

This worked perfectly, but I didn't know exactly how to do the registry edit at first (Start>Run>Regedit then follow to HKEY_CURRENT_USER >Software> Microsoft > Internet Explorer >Main and double click on the UserHR and change the 1 to 0)
5/4/2006 1:47 AM | AML

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

thnx. this was the right tip to solve this ugly image effect (don't know who wants this setting anyway). 5/14/2006 10:12 PM | W2SHN

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

Ah. Perfect. Not that I really want to use IE anyway, but when it's necessary, it's nice to have the images look as you'd expect them to. 7/9/2006 3:01 AM | Alan

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

Thanks, got my laptop minutes ago and just did this - works great! 7/14/2006 4:37 PM | Jared

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

Brilliant! It worked like a charm on my Inspiron 9300. Cheers mate! 8/24/2006 4:54 PM | Marty Martin

Thanks so much! Worked beautifully. 9/1/2006 6:39 PM | Jon

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

Thank you so much. IE looks a lot better now. But for it to work you must first restart the Notebook. 9/15/2006 4:26 PM | Peter

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

Great..!!!! Just change the value of UserHR from 1 to 0 and restart you laptop. All the worries are gone. I did this on my Dell E1505 Laptop which has 15.4" WSXGA screen. 10/5/2006 8:42 PM | Anurag Sinha

Great tip, thanks for the Step-by-Step, AML. 10/19/2006 6:52 PM | Travis

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

the pictures look great now!! thanks! however is there any reason why the font now on some web pages is smaller?? 11/8/2006 11:28 PM | Jae

Brilliant thanks - worked a treat. 11/14/2006 12:07 PM | Joes

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

Igor, you make me of such happiness! Pleased to be no more blurry! 12/7/2006 3:45 AM | Bucky

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

I do not have the UserHR option under 'Main' on a Windows 98 system...any suggestions? 12/8/2006 4:44 PM | monte

Easy fix - and it works! Thanks! 12/9/2006 11:06 PM | MPS

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

Thanks, this worked great on my new Dell Inspiron E1505 with the ATI Mobility Radeon x1400 video card. 12/10/2006 8:42 PM | Dan Sinnreich

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

Thanks, this worked great on my new Dell Inspiron E1505 with the ATI Mobility Radeon x1400 video card. 12/10/2006 8:44 PM | Dan Sinnreich

P E R F E C T :) 1/17/2007 6:14 PM | JM

Takk Igor, þú ert snillingur! 3/9/2007 9:43 AM | Jói - Iceland

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

I have an Inspiron 1705 with Vista Home Premium, and useHR is not in the Registry! Argh! 5/10/2007 5:06 PM | Jay

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

Thanks....I've been trying to figure this out for awhile now...Worked like a charm!!!

Also appreciate to AML, who broke down exactly where to go in the registry...great "for dummies" version :) 5/15/2007 12:53 PM | Rena

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

I dont find the UserHR thing in my registry!!! How do I solve the blurry images problem? 8/7/2007 3:03 PM | Smith

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

Thanks!!! I had been hunting for a web accelerator but figured the problem had to be IE specific because Firefox looks fine. This solved it prefectly on my Latitude D830. 8/25/2007 10:46 AM | MCR

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

I can hardly read anything on this site Is it you or me? 9/25/2007 1:46 AM | N Gordon

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

This not only fixed the blurry images problem, but fixed some alignment issues I had when developing a website in IE7.

Thanks a lot! 12/15/2007 7:30 PM | TCL

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

So we have Microsoft playing god again with users computers.

Reminds me of this I found:

http://www.i-marco.nl/weblog/archive/2006/06/24/time_breakdown_of_modern_web_d 1/29/2008 5:17 PM | Bob

:D Thanks! Worked perfectly for me! 2/18/2008 10:21 PM | Angela

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

THANK YOU! This has plauged me forever, but I never got around to doing much research on it because I always use Firefox. I just had to debug a site in IE though and was fed up that the images were still displaying wrong. The registry edit you suggested fixed it. Awesome! Even though this post is two years old, it still helped me out! :) 3/7/2008 6:18 PM | Lynn

Oh my! I love you!

Ever since I was fool enough to update my IE to version 7.0, it's had those hideous blurry images. Fortunately, I tend to use Firefox for just about everything... but I'm so thrilled to have that finally resolved.

Thanks! 3/8/2008 8:30 AM | Jordan

# Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen HCL Laptop

Hi,
I bought a new HCL laptop three weeks back and it worked fine till yesterday, yesterday night I deleted the cache in internet explorer.
After that the images in internet explorer are not getting displayed properly, they are blurred.

I tried to edit the registry, but there is not UseHR dword value in my registry.

Please give me the solution

Thanks in advance 3/14/2008 7:24 AM | Umakanth Ravirala

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

Thankyou, this has been doing my head in for a year now! Sorted. 3/15/2008 10:18 AM | Paul

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

I can't find the UserHR either. I have an Inspiron 1521.

Please help! 8/20/2008 1:08 AM | Yesenia

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

I cant find this registry userHR, I have Dell Inspiron 1525 with Windows Vista Home Premium.

Please Help .. . . 8/24/2008 7:15 AM | Saroj

I cant find this registry userHR 9/10/2008 4:54 AM | biswajit

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

hey plz give me clear way of that UserHR plz plz...i.e, step by step clearly....
9/11/2008 12:17 PM | ajay

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell INSPIRATION 1501 Notebook

Blurry images appearing only at net browsing 9/17/2008 3:23 PM | KARNAM murali

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

Blurry internet images appears on my DELL INSPIRATION 1501 note book kindly advice me to come out of this 9/17/2008 6:38 PM | murali

I also do not have userHR in my registry 10/18/2008 12:06 AM | Fay

Dear Friend,
I think the suggestions are very helpful to all the users.I too have my images on webpage blurred after I visited www.corbis.com.Last time it had the same problem and I had to format my c drive.But I would like to solve it.I tried to go to microsoft,-IE-Main,but there is no UserHR in my sublocations. Pl advise where to find and what If I dont have that subfolder of UserHR.
I look forward to your reply.

Regards, 10/18/2008 2:33 AM | Nirav

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

i cant find user HR.... i move through regedit to main folder but henceforth user HR is not their .. i use office xp ... please help....
thanks 10/26/2008 10:12 PM | Kartik...

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

if you don't have UseHR in your registry, right-click and add it. Select New - DWORD. Then modify it so the name reads UseHR (correct case and spelling a must!) then you can change the value to 1 or 0. 10/31/2008 6:33 PM | steve

hi.
i didnt have UseHR in the registry
I added a new one.
and changed it to 0.
i restarted the laptop.
but its still not working
I am using 96 dpi settings
i have a lenovo 9QQ widescreen. recently bought.
can anyone help 11/2/2008 11:44 PM | Haresh

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

I have similar problems in Dell LatitudeD630. Can some one help... How to change DPI to 96? 12/13/2008 2:15 PM | Sharat

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

Worked beautifully eventhough I had my doubts. Don't forget to reboot Laptop. Mine is a Dell XPS M140. 1/24/2009 4:12 PM | Dr. Crack

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

i'm using dell studio 1435. i tried the above mentioned , but i can't find - UseHK in Main --

1/30/2009 5:33 AM | venkatesh

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

i'm using dell studio 1435. i tried the above mentioned , but i can't find UseHK in Main

1/30/2009 5:33 AM | venkatesh

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

Not able solve the prblm plz help .. i cant find UseHR file
8/29/2009 5:31 PM | ramu

# re: Blurry Images on all pictures on internet

i have just bought a hp Pavilion note book and when iam on the internet all the pictures on all sites are blurry how do i fix this? 10/9/2009 10:37 AM | laura

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

I have Vostro 1500 and iamge is blurry on IE. I have format my laptop and installed latest IE but still same problem. Please help me. 11/8/2009 3:38 PM | Arun

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

for those of you who don't see the UserHR options, it's b/c you have to click on main and then on the right hand side click on UserHR. I was looking for a subfolder at first too. It worked, but it just seems to make things smaller and took about 1 1/2 inches off the left and right margin. Thanks for the remedy though. 12/9/2009 4:48 PM | Coco

Hi,
I have tried all the troubleshooting steps still I am facing the same problem as I am having assembled desktop. I too had make the changes in the registry and also changed the DPI settings and I formatted the system also.
Please tell me what to do next. If you can reply me on my mail it would be easier to me.

Thank you. 4/20/2010 4:19 PM | Apoorv

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

I still have the same problem even after going to the registry to make the change. i'm using IE 8 on windows 7. Pls any help? 5/16/2010 11:54 AM | Bee

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen Dell Notebook

Problem is most likely that you are viewing the page in zoomed in mode. In Internet Explorer, look down on the right hand corner, should say 100%, if it doesnt adjust. In Mozilla Firefox, press CTRL+0 (thats a zero). 7/26/2010 2:28 PM | Doktor Dax

# re: Blurry Images in IE on Wide Screen acer aspire 5735z

guys i have tried all the solutions you have suggested on my laptop, but found no change, my piece is acer aspire 5735z. guys im really frustrated to see the pics blur from last 1 month. please help from this. 3/25/2011 6:44 PM | vishnu