I spent some time trying to figure this one out. I had a web service that was written in Visual Studio 2005 Beta1. I was accessing this web service from an app that was written in Visual Studio 2003.
When adding a web reference or updating the reference, I was getting the error;
“Unable to download the following files. http://url_goes_here/service.asmx?wsdl. Do you want to skip these files and continue?”
It turns out that the error is related to two values that are added the WebServiceBinding attribute of the class file in the service. These two values are;
(ConformanceClaims = WsiClaims.BP10, EmitConformanceClaims = true)
When they are removed, the web reference works as expected.
This was an especially strange occurrence as the app had been working all along. Apparently, somebody made a change to the web service and updated it on the production server. During this time, the changes made caused these values to be re-inserted in the attribute and the code file was checked into our source control app. When I did a get latest, I D/L the modified code which broke my test app.
I guess I'll have to research these two values to determine their importance.