Geekus Con Livus

Malcolm Anderson's home for Geeks With Lives
posts - 91 , comments - 78 , trackbacks - 23

SQL Server Reporting Services - Interface issues, part 2

I ranted a but a few weeks ago and I'm just wondering if anyone else is running into these issues.

First, SSRS is amazing.  You can do things on the back end that are incredible, deployment is taken care of and all you can say about it is WOW.  The front end is a very different matter.  It reminds me of this article on Lotus Notes, where 95% of the user think it sucks, and why it survives (Finding the link to the guardian article had me come across this rebuff which is just as interesting)

Anyway, this is where SSRS sits right now.  The backend capabilities are *amazing*.  Now let me start on the front end.

The front end is a branch of the Visual Studio Development Environment .... An apparently early branch.  If I wasn't a C# developer I would probably not notice so much, because all of these issues do not (repeat, “do NOT“) show up in the main devenv branch.

There are only three issues that bother me,

1) The various windows, when you unpin them do not roll back out of the way ... some times.  If it happened all the time, I'd just permanently pin the window and forget about it.  I'm about to do that.

2) Those same windows bounce around all over the place.  When I go from the report window, to the properties window the reporting menu bar just goes away.  This causes my display to bounce up two lines.  Then when I go back to the report, the menu bar re-appears once more bouncing my screen around, forcing me to reacquire my focus point.

3) There is a really nifty hang, where BI studio gives you this error "Microsoft Visual Studio cannot shut down because a modal dialog is active. Close the active dialog and try again.".  Main problem, there is no window.  There is a bug open on this issue (FDBK44025) but they're only looking for it after a crash.  I just randomly get the issue about once a week.

The third issue is the least of my worries; I just use task manager to kill it.  Fix the first two (the menu bouncing could be a configuration issue, but it shouldn't be) and I'd be less irritated with SSRS.

Like I asked before though, does anyone else run into these issues?

Mort.

Print | posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 3:40 AM | Filed Under [ Contracting Con Livus Stupid Code Tricks ]

# re: SQL Server Reporting Services - Interface issues, part 2

Using VS2005 with SSRS2005. I have exacly the same symptoms as you describe. Task Manager with the Kill feature is my friend serveral times a day!
3/22/2006 12:29 AM | Bert Van Kets

# re: SQL Server Reporting Services - Interface issues, part 2

Hi,

I too am receiving all three of the same problems in VS2005. I typically leave my machine on and locked over night, so I have had issue #3 for about a week now. I agree the most frustrating thing for me is the inability of window panes like "Solution Explorer" to "auto-hide". I have started to un-select the "auto-hide" then re-select it. That has been the only thing that has worked everytime.
4/17/2006 10:48 AM | Bubba

# re: SQL Server Reporting Services - Interface issues, part 2

Absolutely. I'm responding to your blog post because I was looking for a fix for this. It usually happens for me AFTER working with reporting services and usually always after editing an OLAP query. I'm wondering if it's the query builder that isn't releasing...
5/15/2006 4:53 AM | Tim

# re: SQL Server Reporting Services - Interface issues, part 2

I usually run into this error when existing Visual studio after working with reporting services. It's very annoying when i keeps asking you to close the dialog box and you see NONE...
6/27/2006 4:53 PM | kushpaw

# re: SQL Server Reporting Services - Interface issues, part 2

Same, I see the cannot close about 3 times a day or whenever I'm doing a long session on some reports... also the bouncy inteface is a pain.. also note if you don't click on some part of the interface after previewing a report you can't open "Report" on the main menu. Also you can no longer (could in VS2003) select across multiple table rows and edit their padding at once, you can only edit one row's padding at once...

overall the product is nice.. but the editor is a bit on the buggy side for my tastes
9/17/2006 7:28 PM | Gaspard

# re: SQL Server Reporting Services - Interface issues, part 2

I receive #1 and #3 about 4/5 times a day.. it is maddening...
9/20/2006 4:22 AM | James McCoy

# re: SQL Server Reporting Services - Interface issues, part 2

The solution I found to the bouncing interface was to make sure that my toolbar selections were the same in each mode.

It's been a few months since I've worked with SQL Reporting, but if I remember correctly, any time my interface bounced, I went to View\Toolbars and made sure that EVERYTHING was the same.

Bouncing went buh-bye
9/20/2006 5:02 AM | Malcolm Anderson

# re: SQL Server Reporting Services - Interface issues, part 2

I #1 quite a bit, #3 is how I found this. I think the Dundas CRI properties window is causing this for me. I wouldn't blame Dundas, just the interfaces they are foced to use.
10/13/2006 2:08 PM | Steve MunLeeuw

# re: SQL Server Reporting Services - Interface issues, part 2

I get them also. In general, I've become a fan of SSRS 2005, but I do wish that Microsoft would clean some of these issues up in a service pack release. We may not upgrade the DB until the next iteration after 2008 and it would really be useful to have reporting issues brought up to speed without waiting for a full release of a new DB iteration. Just my $0.02.
10/15/2008 5:22 AM | Jim Howell

# re: SQL Server Reporting Services - Interface issues, part 2

I've been working in report writing tools for enough years to meke me very old. I can't believe you guys think this is a good prooduct. IT'S TERRIBLE.

OK there are a handful of nice features but the basic reporting functionality is rubbish.
11/12/2008 7:58 PM | Peter