ET's VS and TFS World

Fascinating tidbits about VS and TFS and .NET (well I hope...)

Home  |   Contact  |   Syndication    |   Login
  170 Posts | 0 Stories | 187 Comments | 118 Trackbacks

View Étienne Tremblay's profile on LinkedIn

Twitter

Image Galleries

My Friends

My Links

So I’ve been hearing a lot of folks (myself included) having issue with debugging there web application with VS 2010, Cassini (the VS web server) and IE9.  It looks like this

image

Well I found and easy solution, image that Winking smile.

Edit your hosts file at location c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and make sure the localhost 127.0.0.1 line is uncommented and the localhost ::1 is commented or deleted.

You can ping locahost host from a command line and make sure you see

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

After that you should be in business.  The problems seem to come from the fact that IE9 starts to fast (Image that!!) for cassini and with localhost not setup properly (in Windows 7 by default it seems to be commented out) it causes this issue.

Let me know if this solves you problems (it worked on different machines I tried it on).

Cheers,

ET

Technorati Tags: ,,
posted on Thursday, October 7, 2010 10:48 AM

# re: IE 9, Cassini and the dreaded dns error (or page can’t load) 10/7/2010 11:07 AM Laurent
Nice one!
And... welcome back to your blog!

# re: IE 9, Cassini and the dreaded dns error (or page can’t load) 10/7/2010 11:31 AM Robert MacLean
@tegaaa are you copying me ;) (http://www.sadev.co.za/content/internet-explorer-9-breaks-localhost)

Seriously though (I don't think you are copying me) I'm glad you came to the same conclusion as me - this adds some verification of the issue and solution from outside which is a good thing. So with that in mind I was going to log a bug, but I was beat to it: https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/details/601047/ie9-initial-page-load-fails-when-using-visual-studio-built-in-web-server

# re: IE 9, Cassini and the dreaded dns error (or page can’t load) 10/7/2010 11:48 AM ET
@Laurent, merci
@Robert, did copy you I promised I figured it out on my own, didn't know you had blogged about it.

# re: IE 9, Cassini and the dreaded dns error (or page can’t load) 10/11/2010 5:54 AM Per
Thank you! This saved me a lot of agony!

# re: IE 9, Cassini and the dreaded dns error (or page can’t load) 10/12/2010 8:47 AM Simon
Thank you from me too. I was just about to hit uninstall!

# re: IE 9, Cassini and the dreaded dns error (or page can’t load) 10/12/2010 9:29 AM ET
Glad I could help guys.