The day has finally arrived. My good friend and colleague, Lori Lalonde and I have co-authored a book for Apress that is focused on developing applications for Windows Phone 8. It’s been quite the adventure and was a lot more work than I ever would have expected.
Windows Phone 8 Recipes is a problem-solution based guide to the Windows Phone 8 platform. Recipes are grouped according to features of the platform and ways of interacting with the device. Solutions are given in C# and XAML, so you can take your existing .NET skills and apply them to this exciting new venture.
- Not sure how to get started? No need to worry, there’s a recipe for that!
- Always wondered what it takes to add cool features like gesture support, maps integration, or speech recognition into your app? We've got it covered!
- Already have a portfolio of Windows Phone 7 apps that needs to be upgraded? We have a recipe for that too!
The book starts by guiding you through the setup of your development environment, including links to useful tools and resources. Core chapters range from coding live tiles and notifications to interacting with the camera and location sensor. Later chapters cover external services including Windows Azure Mobile Services, the Live SDK, and the Microsoft Advertising SDK, so you can take your app to a professional level. Finally, you'll find out how to publish and maintain your app in the Windows Phone Store.
Whether you're migrating from Windows Phone 7 or starting from scratch, Windows Phone 8 Recipes has the code you need to bring your app idea to life.
What you’ll learn
- Set up your development environment with the Windows Phone 8 SDK.
- Upgrade your existing Windows Phone 7 apps to Windows Phone 8.
- Meet and try out the new features provided in the Windows Phone 8 SDK.
- Bring your apps to life with live tiles, notifications, and cloud services.
- Discover the easy steps to setting up your own Windows Phone Store account.
- Learn how to submit your apps for publication to the Windows Phone Store.
- Use Windows Azure Mobile Services to extend your application to the cloud.
Who this book is for
Windows Phone 8 Recipes is for the developer who has a .NET background, is familiar with C# and either WPF or Silverlight, and is ready to tap into a new and exciting market in mobile app development.
I hope that you will check the book out and that it serves you well. Should you have any questions or concerns you can always reach Lori or myself via an email address we’ve created just for the book at email@example.com. You can purchase the book via all of the usual outlets as well as directly from Apress.
Just because I can…