D'Arcy from Winnipeg
Solution Architecture, Business & Entrepreneurship, Microsoft, and Adoption

It Shouldn’t Be This Hard To Edit A Movie

Thursday, February 19, 2009 10:09 PM

In my last blog post I embedded a movie that I had uploaded to SoapBox. The path that video, and myself, took to get to that point is EPIC.

It all started with recording the video with my trusty Sony camcorder. I copied over the file to my Windows 7 machine…file format is MPG. The size was 118 MB, but SoapBox has a 100MB limit. Easiest way to alter that: Movie Maker. As I’m all about the Windows Live suite of tools, I opened up Movie Maker Beta. I was a huge fan of Movie Maker 2.6, and I hadn’t had an opportunity to try out the new version.

Let me plead with you, all of you, that you should *NOT* use Movie Maker Beta. They have neutered that thing like you wouldn’t believe. Consider the screenshot below:

image

There’s no timeline, limited effects…its just a shell of what the former Movie Maker application was. In addition, it wouldn’t play *any* of my video file. I know its still in Beta, but c’mon guys…we need more.

So it turns out that if you want Movie Maker 2.6, you can still get it. Microsoft released it for Vista (and as such, Windows 7) and you can download it from here.

However even with 2.6, my video still wouldn’t show up in the application! I can run it from Windows Media Player, but not Movie Maker 2.6. It turns out that the codec used to play mpg files in WMP is *not* available for Movie Maker. Oh, and that goes for the audio codec too (which, btw, I was able to get a free version of at this site here).

The audio codec was important, because in a stroke of what I thought was genius I decided to give Expression Encoder a try, thinking that this *must* be why that application was created in the first place. I load it up, load up my movie and…I see a picture! So somehow, the video codec worked with Encoder. I was getting a message saying the audio codec was no where to be found (hence the 3rd party download).

So once I got the audio codec downloaded, and now that I knew that Encoder had the proper video codec, I was able to use it to transform my MPG into a WMV file and a quarter of the original size!

So the moral of all this:

• - Movie Maker Beta is usable only by Kylie.

- Movie Maker 2.6 is still available, but you need extra codecs to make it work properly for
  •   some file formats.

- Expression Encoder is a great application for taking large file formats and re-sizing them, and
  •   not just for use in a Silverlight media streaming application. Don’t overlook this piece of the
  •   Expression Suite.
  • D

# re: It Shouldn’t Be This Hard To Edit A Movie

You can get inspired from movies on ShowBox app their cinematic sequences are so awesome. 5/29/2017 3:32 AM | Henry

We are really thanks for this 192168lladmin can be seen. 7/16/2017 2:12 AM | ak

# re: It Shouldn’t Be This Hard To Edit A Movie

There are so many things that I am seeing at these webpage. I hope you all must start using the
Routing Number because these are really very helpful in making the online transactions very successful. 9/26/2017 11:00 AM | James

# re: It Shouldn’t Be This Hard To Edit A Movie

The useful information that has been the useful information Blank Holiday Calendar 2018 PDF Free 2018 Calendar Printable PDF are the targeted segment of the logical database 10/4/2017 4:35 AM | akshay kumar

# re: It Shouldn’t Be This Hard To Edit A Movie

here are some top best Cool rainmeter skins for windows pc 10/4/2017 5:53 AM | John Cogen

# re: It Shouldn’t Be This Hard To Edit A Movie

downlaod diwali images and wishes here
diwali wishes in english
happy diwali
happy diwali 2017 10/6/2017 4:47 AM | happy diwali

# mobdro app

download the latest app pro vesions of shareit ..

mobdro for windows
mobdro for windows pc
mobdro for pc 10/9/2017 7:39 AM | mobdro apk

# gmail signin

Gmail is a free, advertising-supported email service developed by Google.
Google's mail servers automatically scan emails for multiple purposes,
including to filter spam and malware, and to add context-sensitive advertisements
next to emails.
gmail.com sign in
www.gmail.com 10/20/2017 11:57 PM | leon

# re: It Shouldn’t Be This Hard To Edit A Movie

Here, is the list of some of the best raimneter skins for your windows pc 1/18/2018 12:09 AM | Divas

# re: It Shouldn’t Be This Hard To Edit A Movie

Kodi is one of the best streaming software to watch your favourite movies, shows, sports and more. And to enhance your kodi experience, I recommend you to use kodi builds because it contains a lot of Kodi Add-ons to enhance your kodi experience. 1/18/2018 5:22 AM | Mr. Bond

# re: It Shouldn’t Be This Hard To Edit A Movie

Learn how to fix Dreaded Ntoskrnl.Exe blue screen error in Windows 7, 8, 10 or any version. This blue screen seems like the death screen where no functionalities are usable.
1/19/2018 1:55 AM | johnlumsden

# re: It Shouldn’t Be This Hard To Edit A Movie

Nice information in this website.

best rainmeter skins 3/26/2018 1:52 AM | Tanveer Khan

# re: It Shouldn’t Be This Hard To Edit A Movie

You can watch movies and videos online as well as you can download them directly from here just Click Here 4/21/2018 5:07 AM | Shivam

# re: It Shouldn’t Be This Hard To Edit A Movie

There are numerous ways to enter into someone’s wireless network through Online Wi-Fi Password Hacker, and we decided to present you ideas how to do it more efficiently.
Wi-Fi Password Hacker, Cracker for Android Online 2018 5/19/2018 1:51 AM | edward