D'Arcy from Winnipeg
Solution Architecture, Business & Entrepreneurship, Microsoft, and Adoption

Server 2008 – Happy Ending

Monday, June 2, 2008 4:47 PM

My buddy Will posted a great comment on my last post which helped me huge in getting Server 2008 onto my HP laptop. Go read it, but in a nutshell: There’s a folder on the default HP image that contains all the required drivers. You simply need to copy that off, install Server 2008, and then install the drivers.

This got me to 99%…the only thing that was missing was wlanapi.dll…or at least that’s what my wireless LAN manager told me. There was *no* way to enable the wireless connection, even with right clicking on the icon in the connection list and selecting ‘Enable’.

By fluke, I decided to stop banging my head against the wall and install some of the other optional features of Server 2008…

image

And what do you think I saw at the bottom of the list of additional features?

image

(Note: It’s greyed out because I’m doing this after setting it all up…it will be unchecked and not greyed out when you see it).

That was it! It makes sense: why, by default, would a server OS need wireless lan services enabled by default?

So now all is good and I’m LOVING the speed and performance of Server 2008. More posts to come as I continue my adventures with it.

Now to get caught up with Tech Ed blogs…

D

# re: Server 2008 – Happy Ending

That may explain why I never got it working on my laptop! OK, time to backup the laptop and give it a shot... ;) 6/2/2008 4:59 PM | Kelly

# re: Server 2008 – Happy Ending

Good to know... I'll be loading Server 2008 on my laptop this weekend.

Thanks! 6/5/2008 11:25 AM | Adam Kahtava

# re: Server 2008 – Happy Ending

Darcy - This SAVED MY LIFE last night. I had wireless up and running before my first re-start after install. Was painless and easy... (glad I read your posts BEFORE I installed Server 2k8. ;) 6/25/2008 12:06 PM | Caleb Jenkins

# re: Server 2008 – Happy Ending

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was starting to lose it and this saved my sanity. Everything working great now. 8/20/2008 8:56 AM | Clarky

# re: Server 2008 – Happy Ending

Thanks so much - I messed around with different wireless cards for 2 hours - then can accross you post.

thanks 2/17/2009 6:41 PM | Bob

# re: Server 2008 – Happy Ending

Thanks very much for the info, I was about to toss the server into the street!!! Working great now 3/17/2010 6:40 PM | warlock1663

This really helped me out. Thanks a lot buddy. 7/10/2010 4:23 PM | Usman

# re: Server 2008 – Happy Ending

This was a huuuuuge help after much hair-pulling. Thanks! 2/28/2011 8:48 AM | Matt

# re: Server 2008 – Happy Ending

Quick fix after a short confusion.
But you're right it makes sense...
thanks, buddy! 7/10/2011 9:33 AM | J

this really good.. thanks 2/19/2012 2:55 AM | Ayman

# re: Server 2008 – Happy Ending

this is awesome in its simplicity .... thank you so much 2/20/2012 10:12 PM | mili

# re: Server 2008 – Happy Ending

I had the same problem, & thanks for you, I fixed it 4/27/2012 8:34 PM | Sam Jacob

Thanks for this awesome advice, worked well 12/12/2012 2:04 PM | Gaurav

# re: Server 2008 – Happy Ending

total derp... thank god i found some info here. great pics 12/15/2012 11:30 PM | skprog

Nice one! many thanks 1/8/2013 1:09 PM | Carl

oops.....,

even after i added and installed wireless lan service , i cant see wireless network connection in my laptop (acer E1-531.
what could be ther reason 5/19/2013 10:58 AM | shams

# re: Server 2008 – Happy Ending

Thank you for your help, it works and now i update my server 5/30/2013 11:11 PM | Lominy

# re: Server 2008 – Happy Ending

Thanks for taking the time to write that up (five years ago), it saved me now. I could see event-log messages complaining about the absence of wlanapi.dll but I'm pretty sure I would never have found the solution (install Wireless LAN Service) myself. 9/22/2013 5:42 PM | tm2

# re: Server 2008 – Happy Ending

Thank you, this resolves the awus036nhr driver incompatibility issue. 12/10/2013 7:26 PM | sentient