D'Arcy from Winnipeg
Solution Architecture, Business & Entrepreneurship, Microsoft, and Adoption

Can't see Security tab for a folder in XP?

Thursday, October 4, 2007 7:11 AM

Ran into this today...seems like its a common run in on the net, so just wanted to record it here for my own notes.

If the security tab isn't visible on any of your folder properties in XP, you may have "Use Simple File Sharing" selected in your Folder Options.

Open Explorer and go to Tools>Folder Options.

Click the "View" tab and scroll to the bottom of the listbox with the heading "Advanced Settings".

Clear the "Use Simple File Sharing" checkbox.

D

that`s so 2006 dude 10/4/2007 5:03 PM | Gérald Danais

# re: Can't see Security tab for a folder in XP?

Cool, thanks D. I just built a Media Center PC over the weekend and needed to tweak the security on my media files to avoid any "accidents". Needed to do exactly what you write about here and remembered your post :)

10/9/2007 5:16 AM | Shaneo

# re: Can't see Security tab for a folder in XP?

Can't be soooo 2006 if I need it in 2008. Thanks for the post made my life very easy :D. 6/22/2008 5:15 PM | Andrew Baird

works great thanks 8/11/2008 7:05 AM | hi

Thank You for posting this! 10/31/2008 4:57 PM | Liz

# re: Can't see Security tab for a folder in XP?

Type 'Control admintools'(without quotes) in the Run Prompt.
Then select Security Options in the WIndow that appears.
In that select Network Access:Sharing and Security Model for local accounts.
Right click that to select Property.
Select 'Classic Accounts - Select 'classic-local users authenticate as themselves'.

1/28/2009 11:52 AM | Prabeen Kumar

# re: Can't see Security tab for a folder in XP?

Thanks for the "simple" solution - just wish someone in Microsoft hadn't made it so difficult. 5/23/2009 7:04 AM | Frank

thanks dude, its working.... 8/18/2010 6:51 AM | satya

thanks...solution worked. 8/29/2010 4:27 PM | Rowan

# re: Can't see Security tab for a folder in XP?

Thanks! That has been bugging me for the longest 11/2/2010 10:50 PM | Headboards for beds

# do you realize you just saved my life!!!

looking for someone who just post this simple solution!!! 1/27/2011 12:19 PM | asaf

Thanks alot! thumbs up 8/2/2011 12:53 AM | Asley

# re: Can't see Security tab for a folder in XP?

nooooo i cant see either the security tab or the advanced settings in the folder option :( 10/21/2011 10:11 PM | josep

Thanks.... Nice Post 11/14/2011 4:13 AM | Ahad

Thanks man... 12/1/2011 1:14 PM | Marko

thanks it works now ummmmmmmmmmmmh 1/10/2012 12:58 AM | Waqas

# re: Can't see Security tab for a folder in XP?

hey thanks a lot for ur post , it just works fine now . saved me all the trouble. 7/14/2012 7:32 PM | sangi

# re: Can't see Security tab for a folder in XP?

I tried this but unfortunately I can't see the Security tab. You suggest changing the "Use Simple File Sharing" option however I can't see that either. There was a post by Prabeen Kumar which looked good until I found I could not see the Security Options. Is this a common problem? Someone or something has really gone out of their way to stop me from touching my own computer.

Any ideas from anyone? Many Thanks. 12/3/2012 2:36 AM | Ewan

# Can't see Security tab for a folder in XP?

Dear sir i forgot a option in win xp that called classical security tab guest only...............please help me. 1/17/2013 11:47 PM | chamankumar518@gmail.com

# re: Can't see sharing & Security tab for a folder in XP?

Hi Experts,
I am using my office laptop and in that i cant see any sharing option for folders and it is creating problem to move my personal item from the system.
All general ideas available on the net except this one which i am not able to find using regedit is left

I have solved the problem after extensive research!

The sharing tab is now back and fully functional! I am so elated.

In regedit, Default was set to nil. There was a string under it called:

~~~Disabled~~~ = ntshrui.dll

I just set (Default) to ntshrui.dll and it works.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{f81e9010-6ea4-11ce-a7ff-00aa003ca9f6}\InProcServer32\(Default) = ntshrui.dll

That's it. That's all I had to change.

if you have some thing innovative and i can do it in registry will be helpfull. 3/6/2013 4:56 PM | cracker