D'Arcy from Winnipeg
Solution Architecture, Business & Entrepreneurship, Microsoft, and Adoption

Sopranos Finale - Awesome Ending

Sunday, June 10, 2007 5:15 PM
<Spoiler Alert> Didn't see the finale? Stop reading. </Spoiler Alert>

And so my Sunday night addiction is over, and I've had to pay my respects to the Sopranos tonight...but what a satisfying way to end the series. But what did the ending mean? There are already a tonne of speculations on the Sopranos Facebook groups about what could have happened, as well as some that I'm thinking:

- Nothing...they ate dinner. All the camera work around the people that kept getting focus (like the guy with the cap in the corner or the guy that came in along with AJ) was just for effect, and Meadow walks in and they all sit down and eat.

- Tony dies...Meadow walks in, Tony looks up...but he "never hears it coming" and the screen going black for those moments was him dying. Does the whole family die? Who knows...

There was also speculation that Patsy was the one that put the hit out on Tony, since he was the one that Tony was convinced flipped to the feds on him.

But regardless...not really "knowing" what happened is really what is at the heart of the show: a crime boss who struggles between his family and his work, and the ongoing threats that affect both. Even if Tony didn't get killed at that moment, how much longer before he would have been...or would he have ended up like Uncle Junior to waste away? Or would he have gotten old and still have a hard time giving up control, like Phil did? There is no happy ending to this show...there is no way to cleanly end it because the story focusses around life.

If anything, the Sopranos is a commentary on all our lives: we're here, we die. And who really remembers us when we die...who does it really affect? Our existence really only touches two generations prior to us and two generations after us...otherwise, we're just another gravestone in the yard. Think about it: tell me the names, first and last, and maiden name, of your great great grandparents...without looking it up. And tell me what they did, what their personailities were like, what their faults were...you can't. Look at the Sopranos...look at how many died...and what was the overall effect? Life goes on...life continues. So it is with us.

Even those who try to leave their mark on the world aren't secure in their seeming immortality. I'm sure the pharoah that oversaw the creation of the Sphynx in Egypt thought that his name would be known throughout the ages for his contribution...but nobody really knows. I bet you most diabetics wouldn't be able to tell you that it was two Canadian doctors, Banting and Best, that pioneered insulin as a treatment for the disease which has enabled millions to live normal lives. Our lives and what we do in them are so fleeting...and no matter what heights we achieve, there will always be someone, somewhere, at some time, who will reach higher. Does that mean we still shouldn't achieve? Or does that mean that we just need to keep perspective on all that we do and prioritize based not on what others say we should do or what others say is important, but on how we want to spend the unimaginable short time that we exist for?

Do I think Tony died? It doesn't really matter. What matters more is whether I'm doing what I want to be doing in the time I have, since none of us know when we won't hear it coming.

D

# re: Sopranos Finale - Awesome Ending

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,
The hand that mock'd them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains: round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away. 6/11/2007 1:53 AM | Justice~!

# re: Sopranos Finale - Awesome Ending

John: OK, from a pure entertainment angle, how would you have wanted to see the show end? Tony go into witness protection because he provides info on the terrorists? Or maybe a huge courtroom drama where he either goes to jail or beats the rap the feds were putting together against him? Or see him go and take over the NY gang? Seriously, they could keep going for 2 or 3 more seasons with everything. I know there are many that were disapointed with the ending...i think it'll be a case of some will like it/some won't and no matter what they did, they wouldn't be able to please everyone.

Justice: what's that from?

D 6/11/2007 2:26 AM | D'Arcy from Winnipeg

# You missed it the government stepped in

I will watch the show again with all the following in mind.

In the snow scene when Tony is in the Feds car, Tony tells the Fed about a bank the terror suspects use.

The Fed is not happy with the information. Tony also tells the Fed that AJ is worried about the terror plots and asks if he making a molehill. This shows Tony is a bit ignorant and the Fed does not answer since it should be making a mountain out of a molehill.

In the psychiatrists office we learn AJ has bought a lesson plan to speak Arabic. Also AJ is saying throughout the show it is a time of trouble for the country and he wants to help.

Tony says all you need to know is Shiscabob. This shows Tony's ignorance of the world around him.

When Phil is killed the Fed says we may win this thing.

When Tony is out to eat with Meadow she bemoans the states treatment of her father, he asks what state the state of NJ, and she no says no the Feds.

AJ is interested in serving his country, breaking dependence on foreign oil.

When AJ is laughing at the TV he is viewing Bush and Rove dancing.

The man entering the bathroom at the diner looks like a Fed.

Tony's visit to the mental ward, shows how mob families pass on power by the generation.

My take, the Feds need help with tracking terror plots, Tony has been less than cooperative, AJ seems willing to serve country.

The feds protect the Soprano family with the info on Phil.

The feds kill Tony, AJ is forced to take family lead, the feds feel he will be cooperative.

6/11/2007 4:24 AM | malta

# re: Sopranos Finale - Awesome Ending

whether there is going to be a movie in the future or not.there should have been an ending with more closure. You can do whatever you want in a movie you have the artistic license to do so.
This being a television series the writer has a duty to tie up as many of the loose ends as possible, leaving the ending to our imagination was very unfulfilling. This ending left me wanting another episode to tie everything up.. 6/11/2007 4:25 AM | cary M

# re: Sopranos Finale - Awesome Ending

I enjoyed Journey "dont stop believing" to close out the episode. I found this list http://collegecandy.com/buzz/3398 of all the music from the final episode. worth checking out 6/11/2007 6:43 AM | stac

# re: Sopranos Finale - Awesome Ending

That's great Steve, except for a couple of things:

You assume it was the trucker in the corner, but it was the guy sitting at the counter that went to the washroom, not the trucker.

Interestingly enough as well, the guy playing the FBI agent was quoted about how in the script Meadow actually did sit down and the scene went longer then it did.

However, I agree with you that Tony dying was probably the most likely scenario. I like how Chase left it up to the individual to determine what really happened.

D 6/12/2007 5:06 AM | D'Arcy from Winnipeg

# re: Sopranos Finale - Awesome Ending

D'Arcy - thanks...I wrote it.</dr evil>

6/12/2007 8:18 AM | Justice~!

# re: Sopranos Finale - Awesome Ending

Steve g is right. I agree with him even though there were a few facts that were left out or confused. I think Steve is on the right path. 6/13/2007 5:40 AM | Brandon

# re: Sopranos Finale - Awesome Ending

bobby and tony talked about what its like to die when they were sitting in the boat. Tony said i think its quiet and everything goes black. when tony walked in the restaraunt at the end he was already sitting at the table you can see if you pause the show. he looks at himself sitting there? 6/13/2007 11:21 AM | blake

# re: Sopranos Finale - Awesome Ending

Steve G hit the nail on the head with the "everything goes black" scenario.In addition to that, the guy going into the bathroom was wearing a "members Only' jacket. "members Only" was the name of the episoode in which Tony gets shot by Junior. In addtion, the guy going into the bathroom was taken from the Godfather, where a gun was stashed behind the toilet for a restaurant hit. They should have shot the last scene from Tony's POV though, that would have made more sense. He looks up and see's Meadow and ...... 6/16/2007 4:06 AM | kwhoona

# re: Sopranos Finale - Awesome Ending

I think that Tony dies because the show bascally tells his life and well if he dies at that moment then there is no more sopranos. And there were many clues like, at the restarant did you notice everyone was wearing black. Or that there was a lot of orange in that episode which is the sign of death, and the way they ate their onion rings was like the bread at church. And if meadow didnt have a hard time parking then she would have been in the way of the killer so everything happened for a reason. I think ending was great! There was no better way to end a great show! 6/18/2007 3:33 PM | Bob

# re: Sopranos Finale - Awesome Ending

There's been many theories out there on what the conclusion was with Tony. There has also been a lot of clues from the last 5 minutes that may have summed up the entire series...

The one clue that no one has mentioned that I think may be the biggest one is the juke box. The first song that he looks at was "Who will you run to" and "Magic Man" (by heart) then he looks at the two songs "Don't stop believing" and "Any way you want it" (by journey). But before he chooses his song he looks at the songs "i've gotta be me" and "A lonely place" (by Tony Bennett). Well thats six songs...Yes, I think each represents a season. I haven't decided which song for what season, I bet thats what it is. Also if you look at all the songs on the machine there's no number/letters indicating how to make your selection. So, how did he know what number was "Don't..."? He pressed two numbers, what were they? I think 0 was the first one?

And finally, I think Tony is dead because when AJ emphasized "always remember the good times" its because when tony is gone they will always remember the good times! And so will I...

Brilliant, I applaud the ending! 6/22/2007 5:21 AM | Soprano Ending

# re: Sopranos Finale - Awesome Ending

Justice did not write it! It's a famous sonnet by Percy Shelley called Ozymandias about the downfall of a king. 10/28/2007 9:54 PM | stuartmlambert

# re: Sopranos Finale - Awesome Ending

LOL...Stu, Justice was mocking the whole Dr. Evil thing from Austin Powers, where he takes credit for stuff he didn't do. I've heard Justice sing, and I know that there's no way he could create something musically (oh yeah boi, that's a call out for you at Dev Teach to get up and Karaoke! Let's see your vocal chords flex!)

D 10/29/2007 3:07 AM | D'Arcy from Winnipeg