D'Arcy from Winnipeg
Solution Architecture, Business & Entrepreneurship, Microsoft, and Adoption

How to Access Send-To Folder in Vista

Saturday, December 30, 2006 6:49 PM

Bill Tudor posted about trying to get into the Send-To folder in Vista to add your own shortcuts. He was getting a message saying that "Access is Denied". I got the same issue, even after turning off user account control. I did some digging and found the answer!

If you go to C:\Users\<your username>, you'll see shortcuts for SendTo, Start Menu, My Documents, etc., but you won't be able to access any of them. That's because they aren't really shortcuts, but are "programmatic junction points". Basically, they're there so that older applications which look to the location those folders used to be at back in XP will still work; but they aren't meant for you and me to double click and get forwarded to the proper location.

So if you want to access the SendTo and Start Menu folders in Vista, you actually have to go to

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows

Voila! There are all the folders freely accessible! (note: you may need to enable hidden folders/files in your folder options to see the AppData folder)

Thanks to Robert Firth for posting on the Lockergnome forums with the answer!

D

Thanks alot! 1/23/2007 10:53 AM | Richard

# re: How to Access Documents and Settings in Vista

I get same message "Access is Denied" when i'm trying to access Documents and Settings in Vista. Do you have a workaround for that too,please?
TIA 1/28/2007 1:14 PM | tomtom

# re: How to Access Send-To Folder in Vista

Though its a lot of problems to get simple things straight, thanks for helping out people to save valuable time.
Thanks. Simple things dont seem simple in Vista, especially when your machine has problems to run other OS. 9/10/2007 9:22 PM | RM

Thanks heaps, appreciate it. 10/19/2007 11:53 AM | VasB

Thanks! This really helped me! 3/21/2008 2:28 PM | Steve

# re: How to Access Send-To Folder in Vista

Quick method: Windows key plus R for a Run dialog, type in SHELL:SENDTO and hit Enter. 3/28/2008 6:59 PM | Realist

Thanks so much, would have never found it myself :) 4/4/2008 4:00 PM | Lance

# re: How to Access Send-To Folder in Vista

How do I get sendto to send itmes to any folder not just the shortcut I make? 6/23/2008 4:11 AM | S Douglas

# DAMN VISTA

today i almost lost my temper searching for the send-to folder, thanks for the tip i was so close to throwing my laptop out of the window, DAMN IT why did they have to change the locations of things? just to test our temper?! 8/7/2008 7:43 PM | Mariam Ayyash

Accessing Send To
Worked like a charm,
very informative. 9/12/2008 8:36 AM | rogerwd

# re: How to Access Send-To Folder in Vista

Thank you very much, I spent hours finding it. Bless you.
9/24/2008 2:18 AM | Irmchen

# re: How to Access Send-To Folder in Vista

Thanks for this, I was pretty baffled that you can't just run SendTo anymore! 10/15/2008 6:45 AM | Dan

Thanks. You saved some time. :D

Didn't the MS guys find a deeper place to put this in? :S 10/26/2008 1:17 AM | Tharaka

thanks for the great help! :) 11/21/2008 9:44 AM | S!D

# re: How to Access Send-To Folder in Vista

Thanks for this topic ,it helped me a lot.especially newbie like me 11/30/2008 11:54 PM | Snoogans

Thanks ! 1/12/2009 1:07 PM | Marcos

# re: How to Access Send-To Folder in Vista

Seems like a new Windows version means add trendier graphics and move everything around. Thanks! 2/28/2009 9:53 AM | Don

Thanks for this! 3/7/2009 12:25 AM | Victoria

# re: How to Access Send-To Folder in Vista

A quicker (no typing) way of getting to here is Right-click the Start button, select Explore, then the SendTo folder (the real, accessible one) can be seen just above the StartMenu folder in the left pane.
3/14/2009 8:07 AM | Nigel Parker

Thanks a lot. 3/31/2009 2:22 PM | Steven

Brilliant, many thanks. 6/1/2009 6:21 AM | Rigger

# re: How to Access Send-To Folder in Vista

Nice one, thanks for that! It works for Windows 7 also. 6/2/2009 8:19 AM | Michael Hinds

Saved my day! Thank you for making it so simply! 10/15/2009 5:34 AM | Catherine

Thanks for the post. 12/29/2009 10:38 AM | temest

Wrong answer, app data isnt in the path!! 1/5/2010 3:03 PM | czsf

# re: How to Access Send-To Folder in Vista

Thanks ... found it with your helpful post ... from one Canuck to another - gratitude! 1/16/2010 7:52 PM | B. Ward

Thank you.

After *several* searches in the windows help for this solution, I could find no entries.

Makes we want to change to Linux. 1/17/2010 4:22 AM | Jay

# Thank you!

Very much thank you!
The shortcuts were really mysterious :o 1/23/2010 8:02 AM | Klad_Master

Thank you very much!! 1/26/2010 8:12 PM | Ilene

Thank you so much! 2/9/2010 1:38 PM | Rob

# re: How to Access Send-To Folder in Vista

Thanks a lot. This was the #1 search result on Bing for "access denied on send to folder windows 7" 3/25/2010 9:58 AM | Jimmy

You have my thanks :D 4/13/2010 11:38 AM | Taz

# re: How to Access Send-To Folder in Vista

I tried to create the MAPI so that I can have a quick sent-to as attachment in the email (I am using Window Mail - OS.Vista), but even I create that MAPI, the droplist (when I right click to get Send-To folder) still do not show that field for me to sent to Window Mail. What had gone wrong? 4/29/2010 3:56 AM | chen

# re: How to Access Send-To Folder in Vista

Nigel is the genius.No fuss.But why would microhard make it so...And there is nothing in the help topic. 5/14/2010 2:16 AM | Ted

Thanks boss...... very good information.. 8/19/2010 3:56 PM | joby

Thanks,it helps. 12/3/2010 5:27 PM | MAURICE PERLA

Thanks for posting that.

If the geniuses at MS didn't move folder every time they release a new O/S, we could actually get work done without having to re-invent the wheel.
5/6/2011 4:00 PM | Jim