Daniel Schroeder

Sharing my tips and tricks to help other developers be more productive. This blog has moved to http://blog.danskingdom.com
posts - 44 , comments - 40 , trackbacks - 0

My Links

This blog has moved to http://blog.danskingdom.com

Twitter

Get AutoHotkey Script To Run As Admin At Startup

A few weeks back I posted some problems with running AutoHotkey (AHK) in Windows 8, and that the solution was to run your AHK script as admin.  I also showed how to have the script start automatically when you logged into Windows.  What I didn’t realize at the time though was that the method only worked because I had disabled UAC in the registry (which prevents most Metro apps from working in Windows 8, and likely isn’t acceptable for most people).

So here is a Windows 8, UAC-friendly method to accomplish the same task (also works in previous versions of Windows).  The trick is to use…

Read more at http://blog.danskingdom.com/get-autohotkey-script-to-run-as-admin-at-startup/

Print | posted on Tuesday, November 6, 2012 9:32 AM |

# re: Get AutoHotkey Script To Run As Admin At Startup

Thank you. Saved me.
11/28/2012 3:35 PM | Ryan

# re: Get AutoHotkey Script To Run As Admin At Startup

What about those of us who doesn't wish to set any passwords.

C:\>schtasks /Change /TN "Run AutoHotkey Script 1" /IT
Please enter the run as password for ComputerName\UserName:

WARNING: When the run-as password is empty, the scheduled task may not run becau
se of the security policy.
ERROR: Access is denied.
12/4/2012 9:04 AM | Jack

# re: Get AutoHotkey Script To Run As Admin At Startup

Hi Jack, I'm not sure if there's a way to do it without having a password. Really though, you should always have a password. Check out my new post you inspired me to write: http://geekswithblogs.net/deadlydog/archive/2012/12/04/have-windows-automatically-login-without-entering-your-password.aspx Hopefully this encourages you to use a password and allows you to use the scheduled task :)
12/4/2012 10:46 AM | Daniel Schroeder

# re: Get AutoHotkey Script To Run As Admin At Startup

Thanks. I use it to automatically start my wireless hosted network, makes life a couple of clicks easier.
12/30/2012 11:17 AM | Wolfram Schmied

# re: Get AutoHotkey Script To Run As Admin At Startup

Kudos! The part about making it interactive really helps. :)
2/17/2013 11:30 PM | Leong

# re: Get AutoHotkey Script To Run As Admin At Startup

When I get to this step:
Please enter the run as password for Admin06: *******
I enter my usual user password and access is denied. Any ideas on why this might be?
9/24/2013 3:06 PM | Dave

# re: Get AutoHotkey Script To Run As Admin At Startup

@Dave
Perhaps your username needs to also include your domain? Something like "My Domain"\Admin06
9/24/2013 3:16 PM | Daniel Schroeder