Blogus Maximus

Rubbing people the wrong way since 1970...

Home  |   Contact  |   Syndication    |   Login

Microsoft Blogs

My Articles

My Sites

PodCasts

UG

XNA

When I was at TechEd 2011 in Atlanta, I had the pleasure of meeting a bunch of the DevExpress folks and working out some of the details for a series of Windows Phone Development webinars. Here they are, for your viewing pleasure:

#1 Introduction to WP7 Development with Silverlight and XNA - http://tv.devexpress.com/#WP7Dev1Webinar

#2 Deeper Dive Into XNA on Windows Phone - http://tv.devexpress.com/#WP7Dev2Webinar
The source (in C# and VB.NET) for the demos in this talk can be found in my book, or downloaded here.

#3 Deeper Dive Into Silverlight on Windows Phone - http://tv.devexpress.com/#WP7Dev3Webinar

#4 Building a Scrolling Tile Engine with XNA on Windows Phone - http://tv.devexpress.com/#WP7Dev4Webinar
The demo code is available here.

#5 Building a Pathfinding System Using Waypoints with XNA on Windows Phone - http://tv.devexpress.com/#WP7Dev5Webinar
The demo code is available here.

#6 Using the Push Notifications Service in Your Apps or Games - http://tv.devexpress.com/#WP7PushNotifications

#7 Making Money From Free Apps with the Microsoft Ad SDK - http://tv.devexpress.com/#WP7Dev7Webinar

The feedback on this series has been really positive, with lots of really good questions posted during the webinars (and to my inbox.)

If there are any topics you would like to see that aren't covered by this list, let me know and I'll see about adding it to an upcoming talk or maybe adding additional webinars.

You can also find the complete list of this series here: http://www.devexpress.com/Support/Webinars/series-details.xml?series=WP7 Webinar Series

The randomly selected winner of the Windows Phone (HTC Surround) is Nicolas St-Amour!

posted on Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:32 AM

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 6/18/2011 2:01 PM Gusti
Hi Chris, I would like to thank you for the webinar "Deeper Dive into XNA..." and I would like to remember you promised the source codes of the project you shown us.
Thanks!

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 6/18/2011 2:05 PM Chris G. Williams
The source code used in my demos comes from my book, and can be found here (in both C# and VB.NET): http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470922443,descCd-DOWNLOAD.html

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/21/2011 1:04 PM Vijaya Malla
Great Webinars for beginners like us.
Windows Phone made the world easy and you made the programming easy for us to connect to the World and as well make some extra money

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/21/2011 1:04 PM Ronnie Swafford
Thanks for such an informative series! I love the pace and structure of your presentations. This series has really given me a leg up in WP7 development!

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/21/2011 1:04 PM Hassan Gulzar
Listening to your excellent series right now.

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/21/2011 1:06 PM Tomasz von Oertzen
Hi Chris! Thank you very much for the webinars! They helped me very much! I appreciate it!

# WP7 XNA Webinars by Chris Williams 7/21/2011 1:20 PM Franklin Balaguer
Thanks Chris, great presentations (hope you will make more). Great content and delivery. I am writing a cards game so I'll be able to use what I learned on the Microsoft Ad SDK. Also, you made the Scrolling Tile Engine and the Pathfinding System seem easy; I hope I can put that to use on my next game. Your book [Pro WP7 Game Development: Creating Games using XNA Game Studio 4] seems like a MUST have; I'll pick it up today!

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/21/2011 1:21 PM Chad Carter
Excellent Job on these series Chris!

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/21/2011 1:53 PM Richie Rump
Demo issues aside (it happens) nice presentation. Thanks for the information!

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/21/2011 1:56 PM Doug Rhoten
Thanks for a nice overview of the Ad SDK.

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/21/2011 1:57 PM Gilberto Ramirez
This is interesting :) keep them coming that those seminars a really helpful!

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/21/2011 1:57 PM Steven K James
Great Seminar on WP7 Making Money From Free Apps with the Microsoft Ad SDK. Thanks for the work. Looking forward to working on WP7 app that I can add the ad. Also, thanks for the tips on size and the geo location.

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/21/2011 1:57 PM Nicolas St-Amour
Thanks for the webinar series, you're an inspiration to get started with wp7. Too bad we didn't get to see the XNA demo but everything was so crystal clear I'm sure everybody can get started with your episode. I need to get started right away!

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/21/2011 1:57 PM Collin Campbell
Nice intro to ads. I plan on checking into the rest of the series.

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/21/2011 1:58 PM Brandon
This was a great session! Received a little more insight on creating WP7 apps. Thanks!

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/21/2011 2:00 PM Nia Samir
Great job, Chris! Love the webinars as much as your book! Thank you Devexpress for hosting them. Please bring Chris back to do some more :)

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/21/2011 2:01 PM Jardeth56
Am loving the Series watched them all so far and looking forward to more think the Deeper dive in to xna was great big help as am just learning Phone 7 development.

Thanks

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/21/2011 2:01 PM Ryan Jackson
Hey Chris,

Thanks for the informative and easy-to-follow webinar! I hadn't had any mobile advertising experience prior, and am interested and intrigued. I'll be sure to go back and watch your other webinars.

One question: What orgs do you know of that participate
in Windows Phone development?

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/21/2011 2:03 PM Denis Osipov
Nice session and good webinar series about Windows Phone 7
Good job! =)

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/21/2011 2:03 PM Erik VanLandingham
Thank you Chris for the outstanding presentations. I can't wait to get started and hopefully someday making a living doing Windows Phone development.

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/21/2011 2:03 PM Jeff Brown
Enjoyed the series, the scrolling tile engine was really helpful since it relates to something I'm working on.

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/21/2011 2:07 PM Chris G. Williams
Ryan: Lots of smaller businesses are doing WP7 development, but keep in mind there isn't really an Enterprise story yet for this phone, so most dev is centered around consumer apps and games, rather than internal or proprietary apps for big businesses. There is also a fair amount of client development happening for website and web-based services, like Twitter, Ebay, EventBrite, etc... I've even seen a few apps by retail giants like Amazon, Best Buy, etc.

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/21/2011 2:11 PM Ishai
great series Chris.
As a follow up series, I would suggest a deeper dive into wp7 app dev, maybe with some more specific test cases.
something like building a real (small) app and the steps you go through when building it.

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/21/2011 2:15 PM Ishai
I guess the big problem with enterprise dev right now is the lack of private distribution. you can only distribute through the marketplace, and your app will be visible to all. hacking phones or dev unlocking a big number of them to side load apps doesn't make a lot of sense.

we'll see how MS handles that (I heard they're considering 'hidden' apps in the marketplace)

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/22/2011 9:51 AM Rick
Thanks for the webinars Chris.

Since you are obviously very invested in the MS technology, specifically with Windows Phone 7, I am wondering what your take is on the future viability? I'm really, as I've been a .Net developer since the 1.0 beta, so I too am heavily invested in MS techonology. I really like Silverlight but with all the questions on it's future lately, I'm wondering if it's future is still so bright?

I want to be sold on WP7, I really do, but I don't want to be stupid either. Thoughts, comments?

Thanks!

-Rick

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 7/22/2011 3:48 PM Ishai
of course, the same day I post it, MS updates the app hub to add the beta release feature which is the first hidden release option. I'm sure the private hidden release will follow soon

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 3/20/2012 8:13 AM maquinas de coser

# re: DevExpress webinar series for Windows Phone 10/9/2012 6:51 AM malcolm chalmers
just watched you XNA scrolling tile map WP7 webinar, it was great. thank you very much.