Blogus Maximus

Rubbing people the wrong way since 1970...

Home  |   Contact  |   Syndication    |   Login

Microsoft Blogs

My Articles

My Sites

PodCasts

UG

XNA

If you're a 3D kinda guy, which I'm not (well, I'm getting there, but it's a slow journey) then you might be interested in this.

Apparently, Caligari is giving away their trueSpace 7.6 product for free for a limited time.

Here's the marketing fluff:

What you may not expect is that we are making trueSpace7.6 available to everyone at no charge, in a giant step forward to bring high-end 3D authoring tools to all who want them!

trueSpace7.6 is far more than a SketchUp-style 3D architectural modeling tool. Instead, it provides a complete 3D authoring environment for any type of 3D content creation, whether that's images, animations, objects for games, or content or worlds for online interactive shared spaces.

trueSpace7.6's modeling tools feature a variety of surface representations including full polygonal editing, subdivision surface modeling, NURBS, metaballs, and implicit surfaces. Those are supported by400+ modeling tools like real-time Boolean operations with full construction history so you can move subtracted parts of your design at any time during your work, or even change a subtraction to an intersection.

trueSpace 7.6 also provides advanced surfacing tools like layered materials, texture maps, normal maps, procedural materials, UVE projections, real-time DX9 pixel shaders that include shaders to simulate subsurface scattering, reflection, refraction, smoke, fire, water, anisotropicshader, metallic paint, glass ¨C and those are just the real-time shaders!

The animation capabilities are even more impressive.trueSpace7.6 supports key-frame and motion capture animation on fully hierarchical objects. Key-frame animations can be seamlessly blended with procedural animations and physical simulations, all of which can fully interact with each other. This means you can have a walking character animated by key-frames getting hit by a procedurally animated car and fly away in response to the collision thanks to physical simulation.

Real-time renderings by Marcel Barthel.

In trueSpace7.6 you can also create fully articulated characters and interact with them using full body IK with editable direct manipulation widgets for joints (including physical stiffness), and apply physics oranimated morphs for facial expressions.

If you want to create a photorealisticimagesor a video, then the built-in Lightworks high quality offline renderer will give you spectacular rendering results including soft shadows, raytracing, global illumination in form of hybrid radiosity, image based lighting, caustics, tone mapping, HDRI, anisotropic reflectance,multi-pass rendering to Photoshop layers, motion blur, depth of field, lens flares etc.

trueSpace's award-winning direct manipulation interface with its easy-to-use 2D controls and 3D widgets has always been highly praised by users and press alike.For version 7.6 we have streamlined many workflows in extensive collaboration with our Beta testers. The UI is context-based and fully configurable, including toolbars, panels, widgets, layouts and projects. With universal drag-and-drop you can simply drop your model from the 3D workspace directly into an e-mail, written document, etc, and vice versa, clicking on the object in an e-mail will automatically open it in trueSpace.

There are also a series of advanced editors. In addition to the 3D workspace and modeling editors, there are a universal 2D node link editor, a script editor,a non-linear animation editor, a material editor, a UV editor, and more. Plug-ins are now accessible from the real-time 3D workspace and we expect to release truly amazing plug-ins for trueSpace7.6 in the near future, as well as stimulate 3rd party creation of independent products both free and commercial thanks to the availability of an SDK.

Finally, trueSpace7.6 is the only 3D authoring tool on the market which will allow you do all of the above in real-time shared 3D collaborative spaces where members of the design or animation team can maintain real-time interaction from anywhere in the world.

and here's the important part:

To download trueSpace7.6, visit the link below:

Also, to aid in your learning process we have made all of our video courses, previously $79 each, available at no charge, and you can download those courses here.

posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 8:57 AM

# re: Caligari trueSpace 7.6 for FREE?!? 7/24/2008 10:17 AM Lou
Wow - I'm not a 3D guy but this is too good to pass up. Maybe I can learn something in the process! :)

# re: Caligari trueSpace 7.6 for FREE?!? 7/24/2008 10:53 AM William J. Steele
This is very sweet!!! Thanks for posting!

Bill

# !!!! Um... !!!! 7/24/2008 6:21 PM Nick
If this can do all it can say it can do, as well as i hope it can do it, then WE HAVE A WINNER!

I'll be trying this :D

ps.. I'm a 3D guy , and this looks cool.

# re: Caligari trueSpace 7.6 for FREE?!? 7/25/2008 6:39 AM MATT
TOTALLY UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!? Yet here I am DOWNLOADING IT!!! Amazing!! I'm a long time TS5 user but just never got round to upgrading (partly due to the expense!) I just hope it isn't limited in any way shape or form!

# re: Caligari trueSpace 7.6 for FREE?!? 7/25/2008 4:00 PM Mr Bones
Check Out TrueBones.Com for a Free demo of awesome motion capture in BVH format for TrueSpace 7.6.

Thanks again and Cheers

# re: Caligari trueSpace 7.6 for FREE?!? 8/16/2008 1:39 PM DAve
FYI … I initially thought it didn't come with any renderers to learn later that it comes with two (2) built-in renderers.

In order to use them, after you boot up the program at the top you will see a menu-bar which says 4View Default Floating trueSpace6 … select trueSpace6. That will allow you to use the built-in renderers. Do not click on the render buttons at the bottom of the screen, instead click the render button for the window (the first icon among the 10 icons at the top right hand of the active window). You may switch between renderers by clicking TS6Files-preferences in the upper-right of the application.

I prefer the VirtuaLights built-in renderer to the Lightworks renderer. After you select it, right click on the icon mentioned above and set all your render options.

Frankly, I like the trueSpace6 layout much better than the 7.6 anyway. Might want to grab it while you can … no telling whether future versions will include a built-in renderer, and like I said the new 7.6 layout is about as unintuitive to use as possible, whereas the TS6 interface is as easy as MSPaint.

# re: Caligari trueSpace 7.6 for FREE?!? 8/26/2008 1:20 AM caswell van whervin
i saw Truspace 3 for free the idiscovered 7.6 4 free couldnt believe! i dont have much xperience with 3d programs! i didnt ask anyquestions i took it and ran! tryed it out from scratch i have other 3d programs free such as stech up which i relly like , even though i was only fishing around in truspace it took me out into space!!! ive got one thing on my mind now mastertruspace!!! and take the viewers on spacial and emotional journey they wont forget! and no im not affiliated with truspace im just a talented 2d artist beggining 3d user!wanting to show everybody what i can create in a deepspace inviroment with this software!im not that easily impressed but it was hitting buttons intuitively! and the screen changed my eyes bucked in amazement!and excitement! i said this tru 3d space allright! i expected it to act like other programs but it didnt but it was matter of finding out how truspace does it! im actually glad i didnt know much formally so ididnt start with any prejudices from anyone! Thanks caligary im on a journey now into tru deepspace! there is all so something about that name that caught my eye i mean my ear and i never forgot it! see me later when i mastered it and ill have some images 2 show you of my spacial xcurstions! vanthe3dman i dont work 4 caligary! this just an initial gut level reaction 2 the program! cause ilove drawing in 3d spaces and higher implied spaces as well! and looking 2 ride truspace their! see ya at the top!

# re: Caligari trueSpace 7.6 for FREE?!? 9/16/2008 1:43 AM DJB Rizalist
Unbelievable! I started out with Truspace 2 and ended up making a career out of 3.2 back in 1996. It was a great lil tool even back then. I can't wait to get re-acquainted with Truspace! Thanks for posting this.

# re: Caligari trueSpace 7.6 for FREE?!? 12/28/2008 5:12 PM Mike Warner
I knew there had to be a catch. If you want to be able to render--oh gee, just back-rev to version 6. When I chose "render object, Truespace stopped working. No wonder Ormandy sold-out to Microsloth. It's a LOOSER.

# re: Caligari trueSpace 7.6 for FREE?!? 12/28/2008 7:09 PM Chris Williams
perhaps you were doing something wrong? You are the first person I've heard complain. (btw... this is a personal blog of someone who doesn't work for Microsoft, not a Microsoft support forum.)

# re: Caligari trueSpace 7.6 for FREE?!? 2/13/2009 1:18 AM DAve
Mike, before you blast something do some research ... it has 2 built in renderers. Read my comment above.

If you want a really nice renderer with 7.6 stop your whining and buy one like everyone else does. Do you give away everything for free? Then why do you expect that from others? You used to have to pay $600 for this, then extra for a high-end renderer. Now you only have to pay for the high-end renderer if you so wish. Sheesh.

# re: Caligari trueSpace 7.6 for FREE?!? 3/21/2009 7:00 AM IMH
incredible deal :)

# re: Caligari trueSpace 7.6 for FREE?!? 8/12/2009 10:44 PM Rusli Zainal Sang Visioner
wow that great, very usefull for us...thank you
Stop Dreaming Start Action

# Caligari trueSpace 7.6 for FREE?!? few things in life are free 9/28/2009 12:33 AM tonymynd
Wow! I've been using TS, and i think is a great program. thank you!!!

# re: Caligari trueSpace 7.6 for FREE?!? 1/1/2010 6:18 PM Richard Archer
Is it possible to print out images from Truespace 7.6 Beta for use in a working portfolio or do you have to take digital photos of the imagery.

# trueSpace 7.6 2/14/2010 4:03 PM Jonas
This version of making 3D models is the best program and used by proff users. Its not to hard to learn how to make models and other stuff and its always get a support. I have use this program for many times and knows alot, I rekommended this program. Im not a professional but trust me =)

# re: Caligari trueSpace 7.6 for FREE?!? 10/23/2010 12:38 PM Christian Laws
I don't have the TS6 option. :-( It keeps telling me to switch to the model side, but I can't find it. :'-(

# No Model Side: re: Caligari trueSpace 7.6 for FREE?!? 1/17/2011 7:16 PM Aaron L. Richards
The latest TS (which I just downloaded this evening) is 7.61 Beta 8. The text with it said they removed the model side. Unfortunately that is where the included renderer is (was). So is there no way to render an animation? The render button that comes up in the default view says "No default offline renderer."
Would like info on how to render animations in TS 7.61 Beta 8.

# re: Caligari trueSpace 7.6 for FREE?!? 4/10/2011 11:23 AM Paul
unfortunately, no offline renderer. the real time previewing is really good, very full featured software package otherwise. I have used Truespace since the first rev.. Shame to see the end of its development, I was kindof hoping by now someone would have picked up the development of the program, but I guess not. Truespace is great software and should be open sourced so it can have a future.

# re: Caligari trueSpace 7.6 for FREE?!? 3/10/2012 9:57 AM Rick Turner
Not tried newer versions so would like to see what you guys ave done

# re: Caligari trueSpace 7.6 for FREE?!? 1/4/2013 12:00 PM Juffy
It looks, Truestpace is no more available now