Blogus Maximus

Rubbing people the wrong way since 1970...

Home  |   Contact  |   Syndication    |   Login

Microsoft Blogs

My Articles

My Sites

PodCasts

UG

XNA

For those of you who have had to return your XBOX 360, please share your experience with me.

I havent returned mine yet, but I think I will be soon.

Shortly after the most recent update, I started experiencing some really odd graphical problems. Green, and lots of it, starting appearing on my screen. Not just during DVD games, but on XBLA also, and even when I played DVD movies. More and more green on screen.  No Red Ring of Death, just lots and lots of green on screen.

I am going to wait a little while longer (not much) and see if a new update fixes the problem (doubtful) and if it doesn't then I wont have any choice but to return in.

So I'm curious:

1. how long does it usually take?
2. did you get your same 360 back (with all your save games etc) or a different one (like with Zune returns)
3. how painful was the process?
4. any other things you can think of...

Any info you can provide is appreciated.

posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 9:27 PM

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 12/13/2007 9:46 PM Lorin Thwaits
Returns are very straightforward. You call up 1800-4-MYXBOX, go through the annoying phone menu for awhile until you actually get to talk to a real person (I think saying "Agent" may speed up that process). Then they'll ask for your serial number, register it if it hasn't yet been registered. Also give you a service ID number or something like that. Write that down. You will need it later. At that point they will promptly send out a "coffin" for your existing machine. (Pre-paid return box.) That takes just a couple days and arrives via UPS.

Once you've got the coffin, put the service ID number you wrote down on a paper taped to the Xbox, and you'll also put it on the form that's in the "coffin", along with the serial number of the unit. There's a return shipping label provided, and even a piece of tape to seal the box for shipping. When you put the shipping label over the old one, it should cover just the upper UPS part, not the two bar codes used by the repair center, which are down below.

I don't think the base console itself saves games for you, that is done on the hard drive or the flash-based memory cards. So no worries about saved games.

The unit can be shipped from any UPS Store or other UPS facility. After shipping it out, a couple of weeks later you'll have the UPS guy at your door delivering what will look like a brand new Xbox. In my case it was a 90nm machine with no HDMI. Looked totally brand-spankin' new. Original motherboard. So no free upgrade to Falcon or HDMI per se. Did have a Hitachi drive in it, and a silver drive cover like the Premium units come with.

Another perk with the returned unit: you get a card that gives you a month of XBox Live Gold.

So overall a pretty painless process, and very good service.

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 12/13/2007 10:17 PM Scott Kuhl
I just sent my 3rd one back. So I've been through this, well, 3 times. Getting the return box takes about a week, getting a unit back after shipping it is anything from 2 - 5 weeks. The process itself is easy, but I'm sick of doing it. You won't get the same one back. The 2nd unit we got back was dirty and we had problems immediately with the video until it finally failed a short time later. So it looks like you will get someone else's repaired unit.

Then there is the marketplace purchases. They are tied to a gamer tag and console serial number. If either matches they will play. But when you have a household of kids they suddenly won't be able to play their old content purchased with Mom or Dad's gamertag. There is a bright side though. When we called Microsoft they always credited us the full point balance to use again to repurchase the games, or whatever else you want.

So, customer service is very good, but the hardware quality sucks.

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 12/14/2007 7:32 AM Lou
No idea about XBox returns - but did just realize you're now the top poster on GWB :)

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 12/14/2007 9:45 AM Gregory Wurm
My return was painless, the whole thing took about 2 weeks but I heard its longer now. I got back a new box with a louder disk drive.

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 12/14/2007 10:20 AM Chris Haaker
I just dropped mine in the mail\UPS on Sunday so I will let you know how it goes. Mine was a Red Ring O Death causality ... I am curious to see what and when I get it back. I asked for Guitar Hero for Christmas and am hoping I have it back by then!!

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 1/2/2008 1:46 PM craig kissinger
well have the exact opposite experience. have the red ring of death called and set up a repair order the tech told me if i wanted to spped up the process i could send the xbox with my own box and they'll send the labels over my email and it would cut down the process by 2-3 days, i said ok. well its been 6 days later and still no email everytime i call they tell me the email has been processed and should be there in 24-48 hours and if it isnt call back. ive been told that 3 times now!!!! what a joke!!!!!

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 1/6/2008 2:35 PM Derek Thompson
I got my Elite for xmas and had the ring of death. I put a minor scratch on it and recorded my serial number. I think that xbox should either have to fix YOUR xbox and send it back to YOU or give you a brand new tested one. But in all fairness they should have just done proper testing in the first place. I am no longer a fan of Microsoft

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 1/18/2008 2:22 AM Tim
Yeah i sent mine off on tuesday because of disk drive problems. it was a release console and never had any problems till halo 3 came out then it was down hill from there until just before i sent it away it didnt read any disks whatsoever. when i called support it was a very helpful service and got my e-mail within 4 hours of getting off the phone. sent it off the next day in my own box. its been 4 days now. looking forward to getting it back. i hope it works cos i havent played halo 3 campaign yet. i hope it doesn't take to long!!

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 2/23/2008 6:08 PM Sam
my xbox got the ring o death for this first time on monday. i got the box and i thought that i didn't get a return shipping label. it's saturday 5 days later and i was ripping up the box to throw away because they were gonna send me another with the return shipping label. i was undoing the folds that close the bottom of the box and underneath one was...you guessed it a return shipping label. now i'm not going to say it was my fault of microsoft's fault but some packaging guy at microsoft decided to fuck with me

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 2/26/2008 5:13 AM alex
My 360 died of the 3 red rings i phoned microsoft straight away and got told i should receive the email in the next couple of days i waited and waited and no email.....phoned agen and they sed sorry about this i will send another email....waited and waited.....and again there was nothing....phoned again this time they sed they will just send me the box....waited and waited and again no box!!!! phoned again ......sorry we shall try it oncer more,this one got to me and i sent it next day...which was last tuesday....6 weeks until thy picked it up and if its back today then in total its been 7 weeks!!!!
i am not happy with microsoft to say the least.....

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 2/27/2008 7:26 AM dillon
I got my box yesterday and I'm waiting to ship it back out.It took 3 business days for the box to come in and 2 hours to talk to the Microsoft agent.

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 2/29/2008 1:43 PM disappointed parent
I called a week ago today, still have'nt received coffin for return process to even begin. calls to MS leaves you with your order "being in process". When you finally get to a csr - you find out it's in transit to you - and you'll "probably receive it Monday". Then you have another 2-3 weeks of wait time-ridiculous.

Then with what I'm reading above - you may get a funky, beat up unit back - vs. the clean pristine unit (other than it died...) we are sending to them for repairs. And the CSR states that games purchased online are actually on the Hard drive vs. lost due to the relationship of purchase online to the SN# of unit...what's the truth?

Any one thinking of, or is there a Class Action Suit for the sheer idiocy of Microsoft and their methodolgy of pushing to market a POS#@$% game console?

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 2/29/2008 3:34 PM Blogus Maximus
I can attest that your games will work fine. They are on your hard drive and once you recover your live account, all the games you bought work fine.

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 3/1/2008 6:47 PM Jerry Boettger
Our son purchased an X Box 360 about a year ago and we ended up throwing out the Box a little while later which apparently had the pre-paid shipping label in it from what I understand now. How do we go about getting a shipping label?

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 3/1/2008 7:22 PM Blogus Maximus
the label doesnt come with a new xbox 360. you have to call and request a box to ship a dead 360 in, and it comes with a label. call 1-800MYXBOX

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 3/9/2008 1:07 AM clinton
i wanted to send in my xbox 360 since it has the RROD but theres one problem..my xbox 360 has a modified dvd drive so it can play backups. Before you say anything i do have orignal games and those are the ones i have backups of ok so dont go biting my head off for no reason.

so getting back on track i was wondering if microsoft would still fix my console and give me back MY console with the same dvd drive or do i just take out the dvd drive before i send it in to microsoft?

thanks for all your help guys.
360 n PS3 FTW!

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 3/11/2008 4:09 PM angry@microsoft
I don't think they'll repair your xbox if you've modded or "tampered" with it. As for myself, I'm about to pack my xbox up to be sent off, no red lights but I don't get video coming through my tv, only audio. A friend of mine has had his sent off and received it a week later, only to have it break again. He sent it off again and it's been two weeks and he still hasn't got it back which leaves me a little concerned about MS stance on the whole situation.

I'm also lead to believe Woolworths wont exchange the product as they specifically told me they would not the day I bought it and instead MS would fix it. The custom support agent, however, tells me to take it back to the retailer which leads to a somewhat circular argument..

Best of luck in your battle with the microsoft corporation..

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 3/11/2008 4:14 PM Blogus Maximus
A lot of it depends on whether you bought an extended warranty through the retailer. If not, or if it expired, you have to send it to Microsoft. Depending on the problem, and whether your manufacturer's warranty has elapsed, you might get free service (RROD) or you might have to pay (no video.) Best of luck, regardless.

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 3/11/2008 4:15 PM Blogus Maximus
and if you send in a modded xbox 360 to Microsoft, you'll be lucky to get it back, or anything else other than a nasty letter in the mail.

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 3/29/2008 2:41 PM about to change
ok i sent mine in about 2 and a half weeks ago and it already scratched my halo 3 disk and now just loads the xbox emblem symbol whatever but anyways i want to know weather to send it in and deal with it or buy a ps3 i really like the 360 but im tired of dealing with the bull

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 4/3/2008 8:40 AM william
i sent my elite in and im wondering if wil get the falcon motherboard... since i bought it in 2008 and still didn't get the falcon motherboard

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 5/26/2008 5:04 PM Homer
im about to send mine back and all you have to do on the phone is give them your adress and serial number of your xbox and some backup info and send it in!

they said i will have mine back in 2-3 weeks and if i messed with the inside then they void my warranty so they will not fix it.

but as i hear its is a very simple process

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 5/29/2008 6:09 AM JD
I just shipped my 360 off yesterday and on the website they have a very optimistic (or so I'm lead to believe by everyone else whos ever sent one back) of 2-3 days! Can only hope but i seriously doubt it. Got my emails really easy, just had to buy a box. I do have a question though, will it be UPS who ship it back to me? Im in the UK but im changing address in 3 weeks and if it aint back before then Im a bit screwed! If it is UPS i can just ring up and change the delivery address yeah?
cheers

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 5/31/2008 6:32 PM jeremy
i have a question for you guys..... i have used a dremel to like start to open up one side to put a fan on.... but when i went all the way through i found metal ( yes i can be very stupid) but there is only and inch with sight of the metal and i have the red rings of lights now..... but how can i fix that little gap so they wont know that the plastic was cut a little? would i need to use like body filler for cars? and then paint it? but how would i get it also flush with the metal without opening it? if you need for me to be more clear contact me at jeremy_spencer@live.com but thanx

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 6/4/2008 10:08 PM RLeon
Is this weird, we got the ring of death last week and I've been meaning to call to ask for a return, however, I just received a ups box with a return label? But I never placed the call, are they monitoring via internet without me knowing about it? Has that happened to anyone? The return address is to Mequite TX, is that valid?

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 6/12/2008 6:47 AM Jake
I got the Red Rings of death last night and totally freaked out. I then tried the towel trick and after i tried it the third time.. it worked. But then after 20 minutes of playing it shut off and when i tried to turn it back on it had the red rings again. When i bought my xbox 1 year ago i bought the best buy 2 year warranty and ive been wonderin that if i brought the xbox console only(without the hard drive or any of the wires, if they'd let me get a new one?

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 6/12/2008 6:51 AM Jake
This refers to Jeremy:

I wouldn't recommend buying a fan because if its not made by microsoft, itll not work to well with the console. It often ruins it!!! The xbox will have many hours to play at a time, enough so that you dont need to buy a fan.

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 6/30/2008 9:40 AM jorge
to jake i work at best buy and if u do that shit lol u usually just get the system and we put ur old one with the wires and ship it off like that.

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 7/7/2008 2:22 AM Corey Gray
I misplaced the return label on the box wrong will they still send for repair. I also tried to move it back and it ripped a little will they still return it fro repair.

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 7/13/2008 7:18 PM ng
Corey, if you put the label in the wrong place, just scribble out the old label (the one Microsoft used to send the box to you), with a black marker, no need to move the label. Should have put the new label over the old one, but you should be fine.

RLeon, I doubt if they are monitoring you over the net that it's defective. Maybe someone in your house called it in already? Mesquite TX is one of their repair centers.

JD, I'm in same boat with you, I hope they get it back to me before I leave. But you should be able to get UPS to redirect it.

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 7/14/2008 12:13 PM Mary Ann Larson
I returned my xbox REF 1058256075 and sent my hard rive the xbox i received back did not have the hard drive. PLEASE ADVISE

THANKS

MARY ANN

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 7/14/2008 12:17 PM Blogus Maximus
The instructions are pretty clear about not sending any peripherals, including the hard drive. You could try contacting support (which this blog is NOT) and see if they can help you, but you might be out of luck.

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 7/14/2008 3:55 PM ng
I was told over the phone not to include peripherals, but they certainly did not ship instructions with the box. I'm afrai your hard drive may be lost forever, Mary Ann, as it's going to be hard to identify that. You also probably didn't get your original 360 back, but a replacement refurbished unit, you can verify that if you jotted down your original Xbox's serial number.

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 7/16/2008 2:49 PM Lee Shack
I live in the UK, so American advise would be pointless to me lol xD

I bought my 360 back in April 2006 and it has just died =(
I've registered it for repair, they've sent me a butt load of emails.

They have sent me Label's invoice's etc. but I haven't got a clue on what I am supposed to do next.

Does a UPS guy come and pick it up or do I mail it (To Germany of all places) I'm sooo confused :S and theres no straight forward way of saying "A UPS guy will be at your house at so and so to pick up your brick of an xbox"

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 7/17/2008 12:11 AM ryan
ok i just got my second red ring of death and i called them up but this time they are not sending a "coffin" they just emailed me some prepaid labels and told me to provide my own box. this has made the process much harder. who else has experienced this.

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 7/17/2008 5:13 PM tia
i called and sat on the phone with a foreign guy for 45 min. he asked me my serial number, phone number, address and everything else 5 times each. the most irritating phone call i have ever had.

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 7/25/2008 4:57 PM Dean
I have the email that you have to print out, does anyone know is there any specific way the xbox has to go in the box. Meaning does there have to be the cusion balls.

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 7/29/2008 10:25 PM sik o rik o
when i sent mine away for freezing up within 5mins of playing a game (this was a major problem when the 360 came out) i just used some foam and packed around the xbox. im pritty sure there new way of returning there xboxes is by sending a prepaid email. ive bin waiting about a week since i sent my 360 and i got an email say it has bin sent back but... i have read that thats just because ms has pre bought the sending thingo lol

ne help plz
add me on live gamer tag sik o rik o
laterz all

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 8/5/2008 2:29 PM Mike Hatcher
Mircosoft has extended everybody's warranty for 3 years ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE RROD. If you are having any other trouble and your warranty has expired, so has your luck of having it fixed for free.

Look on the back of your 360, over the A/V cable insert, and look at the man. date. If you still have warranty on it, or if you have the RRoD warranty (3 years from that date), Call 1-800-4my-xbox.

My xbox just proposed to me with the dreaded ring, and i called up ms, and they said they sent me a box. when I got off the phone, i turned it on to see if I had any games in it, and my red light suddenly turned to a big green circle, and she fired up. I was happy and mad at the same time b/c I got a low grade 360, and i hoped they would give me a better one. Then the screen froze, and she went back to the hell red circle.

Now I am playing Ace combat 5 on my ps2 waiting for the ups man to come up with a box. I will get on here and tell you how it went!!

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 8/6/2008 12:15 PM Mike Hatcher
This is to John:

I don't know how they fixed your 360 after you opened it. They have a sticker that will break if you open the 360, and if they see that, they usually do not fix it, they just send you a nasty letter. But I am glad they did for you, and i wish you best of luck with your other one.

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 8/6/2008 5:49 PM johnny
i just sent my x-box a week ago an am wondering if there gonna send me one better with the falcon chip or just a same ol x-box 360?

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 8/7/2008 7:14 PM Blogus Maximus
That's not very good advice. Lying to MS about the nature of your problem and the state of your warranty will likely get your original xbox returned to you unrepaired.

Proceed with caution if you choose this option.

# re: XBOX 360 Return Process 8/7/2008 8:17 PM Blogus Maximus
I'm not going to delete your comment, even though I think your full of it... But I am going to turn off any further comments on this thread.

Comments have been closed on this topic.